Hull Trains failure near Peterborough

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't there an incident near Reading where someone bailed out of a HST after seeing flames, and was hit by another service?

That one was between Maidenhead and Taplow - passenger panicked and got out on the 'wrong' side.

The problem with diesel is that because it can be difficult to ignite people get complacent. The fuel has a very high calorific value and once it ignites it generates extremely high temperature with combustion that propagate very quickly. Having had the joyful task of investigating a few ship engine room oil fires has left me with a healthy respect for the fire hazards of diesel.

Sorry I didn't notice this one earlier JJB.  When I went on the WR Fire Safety Training Course we all had to individually tackle a fire - and the fire was burning diesel oil which isn't the easiest stuff in the world to extinguish, even in small quantities.  Oh and the Fire Inspector didn't have too much difficulty in igniting it either.  One point he made very strongly early in the course was that you might hear all sorts of stories about the high ignition temperature of diesel but you shouldn't necessarily believe them, which is why you will have to extinguish a fire of burning diesel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am led to understand the set came to rest just south of Tallington Crossing having, I believe, put a leg (or three) out of bed between Helpston and Tallington. The 225 I was on, passing after the rescue was completed, was put in at Tallington on the up service that evening and returned to the fast south of Helpston. Very little to see in the dark though.

• RMweb Premium

Diesel engines share something in common with the fuel they use in that their ubiquity and generally good safety record can cause people to lose sight of just how potentially hazardous they are. As well as ejecting big bits from the crankcase, crankcase explosions can have catastrophic consequences, turbo failures can be nasty, oil leakage onto hot surfaces is a serious fire risk, engine overspeed can have highly undesirable consequences to mention just some of the more unfortunate potential failures.

If diesel oil is atomised or in relatively fine droplet form then it requires very little ignition energy to ignite, and it is normal for the exhaust arrangement to operate above the auto ignition temperature (often confused with flash point). Another point often lost is that lube oil is flammable and burns violently, some lubricants have a lower auto ignition temperature than diesel fuel. Oddly, given the general belief that diesel is safe and gas is a greater fire hazard, natural gas has a much higher auto ignition temperature than fuel and lube oils, although its minimum ignition energy is low.