#51 greenglade

greenglade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationHarrow , Middlesex

Posted 07 June 2018 - 20:28

Evening guys

It's been another mixed bag of bits and pieces done again for this week.. I have painted most of the bolts/screws ready for reassembly, I still have the cylinder screws to do. I have painted the front steps and guard irons and put them away awaiting the wheels to go back on. Rear beam parts are also done and the front running boards are in primer. The framework for these boards has also been painted and fitted back onto to the chassis. i have also painted and fitted the small door that covers the 2:1 gear pin back on it's stay.
First picture is the only bit of machining since last update, this is the bogie pivot bolt, when I built the bogie some years back the only hex bar that I had in stock for the pivot was brass which I needed to change, I have now got around to this, I have made this one a little longer so that I can get a good lock nut on it. 

Picture shows new vs old.....

ERfBQc8l.jpg

I have put a number of bits back together, in this picture you can see that the trailing axle oil boxes that sit over the cartazzi assembly have been bolted onto the plate. Also in the picture is the brake trunnion which now has it's bearing back in situ.

WcYFP9ml.jpg

Here I have set up the trailing axle ready for lining, I had planned to make a jig but after a discussion with Adam (cro fittings) earlier today I'll try what he suggested and do it between centers..I needed this setup anyway for cleaning up of the treads so this can do both jobs. I have done a test on the paint from last week and it's not effected by lighter fuel, I'll be using white spirit for any cleaning of wayward lines so will test with this before starting the lining...

2nwKLMSl.jpg

As can be seen, I have been pretty busy with the spray gun, well both guns in fact, back to the HVLP for this one, as can be seen all wheels are now hardening ready for lining...

w3XgAJyl.jpg

Still to paint are the running boards...hope to get these in a semi-gloss finish which is a little shinier than a normal satin finish..if doing the main boards I'll need to remove all splashers first, whether I get around to painting them green remains to be seen, ideally I'd do these at the same time as cab,tender and boiler but it may be best to get these done now so that I don't risk damage to the paint on the running boards at a later date...we shall see. I may also paint the saddle once i have looked ahead to check that I haven't forgotten anything....

More soon.....

Pete

• Like x 8
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#52 greenglade

greenglade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 18:54

Good afternoon all..

I'm posting an early update to ask a question as I've been trying to ascertain the livery of 4472's wheels for 1939. To be honest, gut feeling and reference seen to date suggests that I already know the details but since it goes against all my impressions of what 4472 looked like in the 30's I'll ask the question again to spread the net in case someone has info to refute what I believe to be the case. I always thought that 4472 was fully lined as per other LNER Pacifics, that is wheels with black/white lining. It seems that I am wrong and that what I thought was her Wembley 1924/5 livery in part stayed with her until the war when she was painted black, I had assumed she lost this late twenties. So chaps, before I remove the green from the rims I'll pass the batton out there in case I have this wrong. I'd prefer her to be lined but I'm 99% convinced that I'm not.
Anyway, here's the wheels with the treads now cleaned, I'll remove the green this week if no other info emerges, I still need to do the black/white lining for the axle ends which I have plenty of references to show was there.

EnWfiIfl.jpg

Ok, so moving on with the latest changes...a couple of pictures to show where I am, first the bogie, horn stays, mudguards and the vacuum cylinder support brackets are ready to go back on.

zlTuHZTl.jpg

Trailing frames have had the first coat of vermillion lining applied, I hope to finish this tomorrow..

yGgsOB9l.jpg

Lastly, a closeup of the various components for reassembly of the cartazzi axle, as you can see the lining for the spring and axlebox covers has been applied.

GyAlgPel.jpg

I have also primed the outside motion brackets which I'll paint dull black later next week...

so guys unless anyone has info to state otherwise I'll be removing the green very soon....

Thanks for reading...

regards

Pete

• Like x 5

#53 greenglade

greenglade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 20:17

icon-options.png

Post by greenglade on 4 minutes ago
Evening all....

To conclude with the wheel livery subject, thank's to the input from others and the evidence in the various photo's both in books and online I'll be going with polished rims. The deciding factor is the picture taken of 4472 in 1938 when first fitted with the streamlined tender which clearly shows polished rims. This is only a matter of months before my chosen era and it's highly unlikely that the loco would have had any more work done on her during this short period, she certainly wouldn't have been repainted having just left the works with a new coat.

Having made that decision I need to remove the green already applied, I have already done the trailing and bogie wheels and begun putting things back together which I'll cover in tonight's update. I am leaving the wheel axle end black/white livery until later when the paint has had a good chance to cure, although the main reason is I only have 4 weeks before the loco will be on display so have more than enough to do without adding to the workload.

I have a few photos for tonight which are basically walking around the loco showing the parts that are near finished going back together now painted. I'll start from the front, first the bogie now assembled and back on the chassis, this time secured with a 2BA nyloc nut. Mudguards are fitted, nothing done to the buffer beam yet which I'll need to look at very soon

BSVP8CTl.jpg

Next a view down the length of the chassis..some may note the black overspray on the buffer beam...bad masking from me, I got lucky though as it will all hidden behind the buffer stock when fitted..

SXQFRmtl.jpg

Another view down the centre, note the oil cups on the bogie axle yokes. This is an addition by me so that I have a good supply of oil to the axles and horns that can be easily reached, holes are drilled through the yokes, then as per drawing, into the tops of the axle boxes (small reservoir) and out to the horns guides.

kCeqEtol.jpg

no main drivers fitted yet so I'll go straight to the trailing frames..frames are lined and cartazzi axle reassembled...there are a few spots that I will address later with the lining but it's not far off. as can be sem..cartazzi, steps, springs and associated parts have been refitted.

dcbjsPwl.jpg

Lastly a view from the rear....

IBKETBHl.jpg

Next week will involve removing the paint from the driver rims and refitting any other parts that are ready....should be looking like a loco again in a few weeks....smiley.png

cheers

Pete

• Like x 6
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 2

#54 mswjr

mswjr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Locationcheltenham

Posted 11 June 2018 - 21:09

Nice work,What are you using to line it with a bow pen or something else,Only asking as i have some lining to do on mine,and not looking forward to it, Thanks

#55 greenglade

greenglade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 22:04

I do most using the 'Bob Moore' lining pen, I make up various jigs for spacing and also make use of templates when required...this latest lining was all done by hand with a suitable guide fitted to the pen, two goes with the pen is usually enough for a good edge. A fine cloth with folded edge and dipped in white spirit can clean the line up if not perfect...give the base coat plenty of time to dry first though or the white spirit can damage the base coat. I won't do the wheel centres (black with white lining) for about a month to give the green time to harden. when it comes to the cab, tender and boiler I'll probably leave it for longer as there's much more involved in the lining.

if you don't already have it get Chris Vines 'How not to paint a locomotive' it will answer all of your questions re painting

cheers

Pete

• Informative/Useful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#56 greenglade

greenglade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:53

main wheels back on....will line the axles later... :)

zAq0QdFl.jpg

• Like x 7