Identifying The Different Types Of Class 08 Shunter Cab Doors

HullCityB17

First of all a Merry Christmas to everyone.

I know the Topic Title is possibly not the best but just to try and explain and bit better what I am after.

I currently have an O Gauge BR Blue Class 08 from Dapol which is currently number 08173.

I was looking at renumbering my Class 08 believe there are two types of Drivers Cab Door that were used either the wooden door or the steel door.

Now, as I do not know about the history of the Class 08's did the early builds all receive wooden doors up until a certain date before the steel doors were introduced after a Works Overhaul?

Is there an easy way to identify which door is fitted to a Shuner (Class 08), as I have not been able to identify any difference either on Google Images or Flickr? Eg position of door hinges?

I am specifically looking at Shunters from the 1980's onwards and have not included the Class 09's only because I have not come across a modification kit with the MU pipework.

Many Thanks In Adavce,

John

Trawling through this thread will probably give up the  some of the answers http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102801-Dapol-08/

There is a good photo resource here as well https://www.martinbray-ukloco.com/08001-09205.htm

Metal doors came in around 08i 700ish, sure someone knows exactly which one.

Sure there were specific details about possible renumbering in the Dapol thread depending on number of exhauster boxes etc

HTH

Stu

Best thing you can do is see if you can get a picture of the loco you want to model, there were a myriad of combinations......

Some kept wooden doors to the end, some got changed for metal....some were built with metal....some had one side changed only !!!

The doors do look quite different, the wooden ones are a typical panelled door, whereas the metal doors look more flush and plain.

Good luck!

Unfortunately I have mislaid my copy of the August 2017 issue of Model Rail will has an article how to modify the Dapol Class 08.

Is it possible or easy enough to replace the wooden doors for the steel plated doors?

If it is possible I am guessing these are supplied from JLTRT?

I am hoping to model FGW Blue 08822. I originally had thought of 08220 but there seems to only be recent pictures of one side of it at Longport