Dapol 121 Speedometer wheel fixing hole

Westernway

I had to drill a hole in the bogie of my Dapol 121 so that I could fit the 'speedometer'. I checked with a railway modelling friend who has 3x121's and his are all the same.

Any one else had this problem?

John 

Haven't seen a 121 yet but on the 122, which has the same bogies, there was a hole in the innermost axlebox, just forward of the locating hole in the solebar. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think they were all consistent on the Pressed Steel cars (Class 121) with the speedo drive mounted on the left hand leading axlebox - brake van end leading.  All the Gloucester and Pressed Steel designs (plus I think most, if not all, other Modernisation Plan dmu designs had the speedo drive mounted on an axlebox and one other axlebox had an odometer mounted on it.

• Like 1

So, has the OP's 121 been assembled with two 'blind' bogies, or is the OP just looking in the wrong place? (CJL)

Two blind bogies. My friend has three of these and his are the same. Also, looking at some of the photos on trade websites and I can not spot any holes on bogies.

Edited by Westernway

Ive just checked the DAPOL122's and 121's that I have ..

ALL of the class 122's have a hole in the bogie hub cap for the speedo cable along with the hole in the chassis. Its on the 'passenger end'  nearside , just below the hole in the solebar, forward wheel.

None of the 121's have a hole for the speedo cable in the hub cab.

Ah well - out with the Dremel...

Edited to make it a little clearer after reading it back.

Edited by soony

Ive just checked the DAPOL122's and 121's that I have ..

ALL of the class 122's have a hole in the bogie hub cap for the speedo cable along with the hole in the chassis.

None of the 121's have a hole for the sppedo cable in the hub cab.

Ah well - out with the Dremel...

Thank you soony

At least I was not looking in the wrong place :)

Edited by Westernway

• 3 months later...

121 032 has the speedo cable at the other end on the drivers side.

Link;

www.flickr.com/photos/rpmarks/13436701913/in/photolist-mtmBmn-UdAMcS-snt3kq-ZiZPjo-bBupj-eTASog-Uwviid-8urFRM-UN2PgU-FHjcuC-dRKqxA-nwzgs1-WJ5ac9-VTwzMv-eYVCxN-23bQCzi-G4pBwe-889vDG-ehP3Be-229Df4E-W7u8fc-o9eVNV-j83HhL-eTAFJV-QY3U49-atzDoA-eYVNb3-Y8meyj-dQo57w-WjxjxK-TAirkd-dQo52E-YNQuRw-ehW4xC-somThv-bhZcei-ToCWEk-f7usyn-apRemN-Tv2W1h-ji6fLk-r178Wb-bsyWhj-FqVpHj-WcEiVE-Wydfus-gffMQ9-21XntFM-ki4z98-XRDzsE

Just as well I Checked, just about to fit it (: although on this model they have provided a retaining hole under the body on the chassis, but alas still no hole in the axle bearing box, so as above out with the mini drill .

Edited by Paul W