[AU] Slow TV - The Ghan: Australia’s Greatest Train Journey

DavidB-AU

SBS in Australia tried something new last Sunday, adapting the "Slow TV" genre from Norway. The Ghan: Australia’s Greatest Train Journey was 3 hours of footage from The Ghan between Adelaide and Darwin. No commentary, no music, no commercial breaks. Just on board, lineside and helicopter/drone footage of the train with occasional captions about the route and some history. It was staggeringly popular and held about 90% of its audience for the entire 3 hours.

Well it's back again this Sunday with an extended 17 hour version!

Cheers
David

• RMweb Gold

I watched most of it too, finding it interesting but  little a tiny bit repetitive (scenery wise) in parts, not sure I could handle 17 hours though. I traveled on the Trans-Australian many years ago and it was my first look at the real Outback, it really was a fascinating three days, since then I have done the whole circuit by car and whilst there are many fantastic and interesting places to visit in Oz, it's a bloody long way between them!! I have to say though the absence of ads and canned music was an absolute bonus.

Rgds Mike

Edited by ikks

• RMweb Gold

I had a stint at Woomera in South Australia in 2002 and on a free day myself and a colleague took a Landcruiser and followed the remains of the old Ghan railway via Maree and William Creek. We got as far as Algebuckina Bridge before turning back to ensure that we got back to Woomera - or at least asphalt roads - by nightfall.

We were helped by a 1st Generation GPS that had recorded the route, which came in handy as we had misjudged nightfall and the GPS gave prior warning of upcoming bends in the dirt road.

I have some photos somewhere of that trip - I will see if I can dig them out.

The clear starlit sky in the Outback is stunning - I can still recall the sight of the Southern Cross as we headed south.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a stint at Woomera in South Australia in 2002 and on a free day myself and a colleague took a Landcruiser and followed the remains of the old Ghan railway via Maree and William Creek. We got as far as Algebuckina Bridge before turning back to ensure that we got back to Woomera - or at least asphalt roads - by nightfall.

We were helped by a 1st Generation GPS that had recorded the route, which came in handy as we had misjudged nightfall and the GPS gave prior warning of upcoming bends in the dirt road.

I have some photos somewhere of that trip - I will see if I can dig them out.

The clear starlit sky in the Outback is stunning - I can still recall the sight of the Southern Cross as we headed south.

Cheers

Darius

Yes the night sky is something to behold, I remember a few years ago one of our guests laid on our decking and just took in the whole scene for an hour or so, incredible.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I tried to watch this from UK but perhaps not surprisingly it wasn't possible for copyright reasons. But this has reminded me of the Ghan, probably my best railway trip ever. We did Darwin to Alice Springs, did a side trip (which involved camping under desert skies) and then on to Adelaide.  And the night sky was indeed incredible....   the mention of the Southern Cross brought it back...

Bill

Edited by railroadbill