British Service Steam: A Discussion

I can't see it happening as a regular service. As has been said the infrastructure isn't there anymore. However there's a clear business model for heritage and new build locomotives offering an enthusiast's service at a premium. The success of Tornado and the P2 Prince of Wales now building is an example to both the operators and the line owners of a means to earn money. I can foresee a 'regular service' of enthusiasts specials being diagrammed into the system, but not as a routine running with steam haulage.

• RMweb Premium

Last year Northern hired in steam for several service trains each day for a week. It worked and was successful AFAIK..

Small and well thought out projects like this are worth considering (as has been mentioned above ref Looe etc).

There is a thread elsewhere discussing the lack of planned main line steam workings this coming year. It is my opinion that the above short running projects and extended running from heritage to main line, at quieter operationla times (Sundays?) where the connection is viable (Bluebell and Swanage for example?)  could be worthwhile.

I'd like to suggest the Cleethorpes, Barnetby, Lincoln,  Donny, Cleethorpes & Nottingham, Lincoln, Donny routes for weekend steam that can have some quick running. I also think that York, Leeds could be worth a thought? Cleethorpes, Donny, Nottingham and Lincoln  can all handle steam servicing either on site or nearby and all have access to turning triangles if required. York has all the facilities and Leeds has Neville Hill.

Sadly I think regular, main line, express long distance steam on the busy prime lines is probably on the decline, except for Tornado and maybe Scotsman and or Sunday running always with diesel backup..

Seeing steam on the ECML for example, during the week, is exciting, However it must be a logistical struggle to get it done and to make a lot of money doing it. 

Sadly also the number of 'qualified' steam crews/Inspectors/support engineers is gradually reducing as age takes its toll.

Phil

I was thinking how 'special' 1 week events could be good. Perhaps 100, 125, 150, 175 or even 200 year anniversaries could be commemorated in this way. As I say, I'd really love to see Bognor - Littlehampton services run as a heritage service for perhaps one week, and the Bognor-Barnham shuttles. They are only short runs, and are operated by 40-year old stock as it is! If a heritage EMU was used alongside steam stock, I expect the service would prove MORE popular with the general travelling public, as the old stock would have 1st class, toilets, and decent seats! In fact, even if steam couldn't be run regularly, a heritage EMU service would probably be popular simply because of the improvement in standards for the normal travelling public!

I've said elsewhere on this forum that some branches might suit a bit of steam operation. The Blaenau Ffestiniog branch for example has no Sunday service, and there's sufficient run rounds etc that a couple of trips on Sundays from BF to Llanwrst or maybe Llandudno junction during the tourist season might justify themselves. It may even be possible to run the whole 4 or 5 daily trains branch service with steam, though I wouldn't know about the logistics - running round at Llandudno would be a bit of a faff..

That's the kind of level which might actually work though, IMO.

• RMweb Gold

Clearly tank engines are more suitable for this sort of proposed operation if the work is within their range, as turning is not necessary.  A limiting factor might be the availability of good quality coal if take up is extensive, but a few limited operations should be fine from that point of view.  Water is another issue, and regular services might require standpipes or water columns to be provided; in many cases the 'plumbing' is still there beneath the platforms!

There is the Shakespeare Express with multiple trips between Stratford-upon-Avon and Birmingham Snow Hill on summer Sundays.  I'm trying to remember if there is a water tower at Birmingham Moor Street.  Also I don't know if you can just turn up and buy a ticket or if you have to pre-book (despite living nearby and having looked at the site with a view to taking a trip one day).