Teacups Kit-building Workbench

Guest teacupteacup

Guest teacupteacup

Hello

I thought I would start a topic on my current projects...

First up are 4 Cambrian wagons kits.  Technically these aren't current projects being that I built them what must be over 20 years ago, then got bored with the then current scene and packed them away.  I'm moving into a new home in a few months time and I'm currently planning a new layout which will be set in the last days of Speedlink, so early - mid '91.  Whilst going through some boxes to see if I had any suitable stock, I found these...

post-33604-0-76892300-1517175991_thumb.jpg

2 SSA, an OCA and an OBA.  Despite being in storage and surviving house moves over the decades, they have remained completely intact!  I would however like to replace the buffers on them all - does anyone know of a supplier of suitable types (I cant tell buffers apart except oval and round!)  I can remember at the time of building I felt them to be quite challenging but I may pick up another couple to see how I get on - I would rather build a kit than buy rtr.

In the years between the current scene when I built these and today, there have a been a few very interesting (to me) items of rolling stock released - Bachmanns' VBA/VDA/VGA and Heljans' Cargowaggon, amongst others.  Kit wise there have been some very good releases including this one...

post-33604-0-94772800-1517176366_thumb.jpg

Available from jonhall of this parish.  The kit includes very finely cast resin shells, etched w-irons and brake gear, whitemetal suspension units, buffers and other underframe details, plus pre-cut acrylic floors and interior bulkheads to remove any bowing of the sides.

post-33604-0-23254600-1517176653_thumb.jpg

post-33604-0-81975900-1517176704_thumb.jpg

There are no instructions included but Jon's thread describes and walks through the kit sufficiently.  I'll be building this kit up soon and will post my progress here

Thanks for reading

Edited by teacupteacup

• 2 months later...
Guest teacupteacup

Since my last, and first, post on this thread, I have mostly been an armchair modeller due to my impending house move (most of my stuff is boxed away in storage).  

I've been picking up some items of stock for my planned layout, amongst these has been a Cambrian OTA kit, which I bought to see if I still found these kits tricky after 20-odd years since I last built one.  A hours work has produced this...

post-33604-0-24522400-1523997971_thumb.jpg

I didnt find it too difficult at all, the mouldings are pretty crisp with very little flash.  I'll continue with the rest of the kit in the next few days.  Tempted to pick up a few more, inc some more OBA/OCA's to supplement the 1 of each I already have.

Guest teacupteacup

A little more time spent tonight has seen the kit completed (as far as parts are concerned!)

post-33604-0-29035100-1524177355_thumb.jpg

I'll run round all the mouldings with a file before priming, which is as far as I can go at the moment.

Guest teacupteacup

A couple of days ago I made a start on this kit...

post-33604-0-59395400-1524689191_thumb.jpg

I've got as far as completing the w-irons/brake linkage assembly, which have turned out ok, but certainly not pretty...

post-33604-0-53294700-1524688998_thumb.jpg

There are a few white metal castings to be added to the kit, not many though which will speed construction up.  Next on the to-do list for this kit is to clean up the resin and whitemetal castings (not that much is required).  

This will have to wait though as I've now packed away my workbench and tools due to an imminent house move (fri), so it will be a few weeks before I can pick my tools up again.  In the meantime I'll concentrate on planning my new layout.

• 5 months later...

Hey teacup

Looks interesting, I am a fan of BR's long wheelbase, 2 axle air brake opens since buying a Cambrian OBA about 2 years ago just completed it months ago. I love the Cambrian wagons and in my humble opinion, still look better than the Bachmann ones. A very good place for wagon buffers is Lanakshire Models and Supplies website (click here) I'm not sure which exact ones to buy (I know theyr'e OLEO buffers) but a search through the Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding forum might yeild some result.

Jules

My Wagon Workbench

Guest teacupteacup

A good improvement to the Cambrian kit of the long wheel base wagons is to use bill Bedford sprung suspension fixed in place (to get rid of the pointless rotating axle boxes ) and used the Cambrian plastic mouldings over them.

I've ordered a couple of sets of thoses w-irons (with thanks to Wayne 37901 for the exact type).  I've not updated this thread in ages but there are now a good few more kits built, plus a number of Hornby OAA's that will have the axle units removed and replaced with sprung units.

I'll post photos of where Im at soon

Guest teacupteacup

For the OAA get rid so the underframe and just use the body. The spare sole bar underframe that comes with the SPA kit can be used under the Hornby body to make a good model.

The Hornby underframe is good enough for me, just the awful axle units that need replaced!

The under frame is totally wrong, being the one used on their SAA. I have done two myself, and it is very easy using BB sprung axle guard and the spare sole bars from the SPA, probably easier than trying to improve the poor Hornby under frame. The only bit extra you may need is a long brake lever from Stevenson models IIRC. The only thinn

G worth keeping from the Hornby underframe is the weight.

Guest teacupteacup

The under frame is totally wrong, being the one used on their SAA. I have done two myself, and it is very easy using BB sprung axle guard and the spare sole bars from the SPA, probably easier than trying to improve the poor Hornby under frame. The only bit extra you may need is a long brake lever from Stevenson models IIRC. The only thinn

G worth keeping from the Hornby underframe is the weight.

Im happy with the underframe as it is, apart from the aforementioned suspension units.  Life is too short for me to getting down underframe details - after all the gauge is too narrow anyway!

Edited by teacupteacup

• 2 months later...
Guest teacupteacup

Its been a long time since I posted anything on this thread, so a new update for a new year

I've been building up a fleet of air-braked opens - OBA, OCA & SPA, all from Cambrian kits which have been built, painted and today I made a start on decals...

post-33604-0-79198100-1546370136_thumb.jpg

I've been using Modelmater's re-issue of the old Cambrian decal pack, not the greatest print registering but thats not Modelmasters problem.  The SPA's are awaiting double-arrows, the OCA's wait on double-arrows and Railfreight logos and the OBA's are currently varnished, waiting on a start being made on decalling

Once all the decals are on and varnished in, I'll finish detail painting, weathering and adding weight and Kadee's.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest teacupteacup

Further progress takes me to the current state of affairs...

post-33604-0-58569000-1547253740_thumb.jpg

SPA's, OCA's and OBA's. One of the OCA's and one of the OBA's were built about 23 years ago or so, so about time they were finished!

Just needing some paint tidying, matt varnishing and weathering.  Oh and coupling hooks which I have stashed away somewhere (Lanarkshire Modelling Supplies products)

The OBA's need their interiors painting, a distressed wood colour.

I've been slowly painting the OTA referred to earlier in the thread, its not a priority though

• 3 weeks later...
Guest teacupteacup

Excellent work love these Cambrian kits I'm building up some SPAs at the moment following your work with much interest!

Thank you, with a bit of cleaning up at the building stage, they go together well.

I've not done anything else with them, busy trying to get another few SPA's finished the the faded red weathered look, without them looking pink!

• 5 weeks later...
On 27/01/2019 at 20:51, teacupteacup said:

Thank you, with a bit of cleaning up at the building stage, they go together well.

I've not done anything else with them, busy trying to get another few SPA's finished the the faded red weathered look, without them looking pink!

They really do I've built 3 so far great kits. It's fun painting them faded red! Mine are rusted pink !