Bachmann Wainwright C class

paulbb

The loco in question has suddenly stopped working. I use a Gaugemaster Prodigy and no address would register when I tried to read it; it was fitted with a 21 pin Bachmann decoder. This decoder was replaced with a new decoder, same manufacturer and again no movement, and no address shown on reading from the Prodigy. Removing the decoder and replacing it with its original blanking plate and trying it on an analog layout produced no movement either. Now I have checked the wiring harness that goes from the loco to the tender and all the connections seem good; likewise in the engine itself all soldered connections look fine. There was no smell or signs of burning from the motor, and the model has only done 1-2 hours of layout running tops.

So, has anyone come across this problem before? I really like this loco and dont want it to go for 'spares or repair' on a web site!

when you say that the connections 'look fine' does this means they are visually fine or electrically fine? There is quite a difference :)

I suggest that before you go any further you get hold of a multimeter, take the decoder out and then use the continuity function to check that you have continuity between the wheels and the chip socket, then to the same for the motor to the chip socket.

If those are all OK then you have a chip fault, otherwise you will then know where the root cause is.

So you haven't got a complete circuit from rail via motor to other rail.

With the decoder removed have you applied power directly to the motor terminals? If it doesn't turn you know where the trouble is.

If the motor runs - I expect it will - then the next place I would look is to have the loco's keeper plate off. Bachmann started to use spring contacts to make the connection to the pick up wiper strips with the group of models including the 'C', rather less reliable in an oily environment than the previous method of soldering on wires. (Personally I rectify this production line expedient by making soldered on connections: Hornby too have now gone down this path of 'sprung on' contacts to the pick up wiper strips...)