Triang blue Pullman kitchen car overlay transfers

Has anyone tried using the transfers currently available on a well known auction site ? To create a Pullman kitchen car ? If so any tips , I do note that transfers is a term open to interpretation as they are adhesive backed prints as opposed to water slide or acrylic prints.

Hi,

I do not know about the coach stickers, But I have used several of their loco update stickers sets with good effect. I have used them on 2 HD 0-6-2, 4 of my 6 HD 2-6-4 tanks. HD A4, HD Duchess and 2 Old Hornby Flying Scotsman with what I think have been very good results. Here are a couple of pictures to show you some of the results. I will make one suggestion should you use them. When you have cut them out to the size you want then go round the edges with a marker pen before you strip of the backing and apply them. It is easier than trying to match the edges once they have been applied. I have found that Sharpies pen work best for me as you can gat a whole range of colours to suit. I also suggest you follow their instructions about spraying them with a coat of varnish as well.

post-21711-0-01841800-1524434183_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-26478300-1524434195_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-09431800-1524434261_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-72909400-1524434307_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-10635700-1524434401_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-72126600-1524434436_thumb.jpg

post-21711-0-60592500-1524434507_thumb.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone tried using the transfers currently available on a well known auction site ? To create a Pullman kitchen car ? If so any tips , I do note that transfers is a term open to interpretation as they are adhesive backed prints as opposed to water slide or acrylic prints.

Another one who can't bring himself to say E Bay. :) :) :)

I'm not sure how well the kitchen car overlays would work as the donor side is not completely smooth. (I'm assuming one does not use one of the later ones with the recessed windows - why on Earth did they do this? )

Really they would need to have a replacement transparent strip fitted to the car and have the windows cut out of the overlay to match the other cars.

I keep meaning to try....

Just pared up the transfers against the coach side, and note that the door guttering will need smoothing off and the air con inlet grills will need filling in as they are the opposite end to those on the transfer. I have fitted southern finecast glazing which will probably provide a smoother base and saves filling in the windows.

I'm not sure how well the kitchen car overlays would work as the donor side is not completely smooth. (I'm assuming one does not use one of the later ones with the recessed windows - why on Earth did they do this? )

Really they would need to have a replacement transparent strip fitted to the car and have the windows cut out of the overlay to match the other cars.

I keep meaning to try....

The moulding was altered because the original flush glaze inserts were designed around the Nanking Blue livery. When the sets needed to be reliveried into 'latest' BR livery (Grey/Blue) the blue stripe extended further so the model was retooled with conventional celluloid windows and mould lines to act as mask borders. They were toys back then so Triang could get away with that sort of thing.

The moulding was altered because the original flush glaze inserts were designed around the Nanking Blue livery. When the sets needed to be reliveried into 'latest' BR livery (Grey/Blue) the blue stripe extended further so the model was retooled with conventional celluloid windows and mould lines to act as mask borders. They were toys back then so Triang could get away with that sort of thing.

They could still have modified the glazing strip (or just left it alone - the blue and white livery looks a lot better IMHO).

Yep I agree... and in the 1960's triang had to face that lone dark horse in the name of competition called kitmaster! Who also had the nouse to replicate decent bogies.

I've a feeling it disappeared before Tri-ang produced theirs. At most there was a small overlap. There was also the problem of assembling and motorising it. The Kitmaster motor bogie was not much cop.... Stricly they are not quite the same thing. Kitmaster's was a Midland Pullman and Tri-ang's a Western. The omission of two of the cars, especially the restaurant, is typically Tri-ang. Really it would have been better to have made the restaurant rather than the parlour car IMHO. Of course, Tri-ang stuck their Mk I bogies under everything. Only the Transcontinental range was deemed important enough for its own bogie.