Craftsman-style Wood Rolling Stock Kits

• RMweb Premium

All,

apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but searching didn't turn up anything.

Does anyone have any experience of Trout Creek Engineering craftsman-style wood kits? Although Trout Creek seem to be a defunct manufacturer, several of their kits cover a subject that has recently piqued my interest, and I'd like to know a little more before deciding to whether to spend time searching them out.

Similarly, does anyone have experience of LaBelle Woodworking craftsman-style kits? They look good and are still in production, which is a bonus! But again, some inside information would be good.

Cheers,

Mark

I've built a few Labelle kits- once you've worked out exactly what they've sent you in the box then they're easy enough to put together (by which I mean there is a lot of wooden strip that you have to cut to length). Nothing looks as good as wood itself, but there seems to be something in the sealing and surface preparation to get an even finish, unless your prototype was particularly rustic.

post-6819-0-31209700-1526734035_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-09660300-1526734381_thumb.jpg

Edited by 298
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've built a few Labelle kits- once you've worked out exactly what they've sent you in the box then they're easy enough to put together (by which I mean there is a lot of wooden strip that you have to cut to length). Nothing looks as good as wood itself, but there seems to be something in the sealing and surface preparation to get an even finish, unless your prototype was particularly rustic.

attachicon.gifIMAG3759.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG3080.jpg

So I took the plunge and picked up a couple of LaBelle kits on eBay, a Colorado Midland Stock Car and Colorado Midland Hanrahan Reefer, which arrived yesterday. And, oh yes, there's a lot of strip wood in there, and the instructions are sight to behold  :scratchhead:  I think they'll take bit of building

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 1

I have made some Labelle traction kits .They turned out fine and like you say  its all in the finishing .i did wonder whether some scribed Evergreen  plastic sheets would be better for the sides .its nice to see the roof end correctly shaped  298 .Thousands of Labelle kits are ruined by badly shaped ends.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Labelle kits are lovely, the real Rolls Royce of the 'bundle of sticks' type of kit. Take your time and they will surely turn out beautifully.

Hi and many thanks!

I've built many, many injection moulded plastic kits and scratchbuilt in styrene, so I think I'm fairly capable, but wood kits are a whole new world! I've enjoyed building a couple of Bitter Creek laser-cut wood kits, but the LaBelle kits are another step. Its good to know that with a bit of care I stand a chance of a decent result!

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark