Photo

TurboSnail's Workbench - 3D printing, RTR detailing and general bodging - SECR F Class

3d printing SECR SE&CR pre-grouping kit

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 MGR Hooper!

MGR Hooper!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,792 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Posted 15 June 2018 - 16:30

To save myself keeping too many plates spinning at once, I thought I'd start a workbench thread for my future projects and 3D printed locos. My other threads will run their course (notably the R/R1 chassis thread) but I'll start putting stuff on here rather than start making more new threads, such as 3D printed locos, modifying and detailing of RTR products, layout progress and maybe the occasional digression into non-pre-grouping stuff (gasp! surely not!). 

For the first project on this thread, it's a 3D printed loco kit, my first attempt at making a basic mixed-media kit - more details to follow but for now...

Can you tell what it is yet?

attachicon.gif1.JPG

Nice work. What software are you using?

• Agree x 1

#27 TurboSnail

TurboSnail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 15 June 2018 - 19:24

Nice work. What software are you using?

I'm using an old version of SolidEdge, which is kind of like SolidWorks, but worse. But also cheaper, hence why I have it. It works for me but I don't think I'd recommend it, if I was starting from scratch now, I'd go for either SolidWorks or one of the Autodesk ones.

• Informative/Useful x 2

#28 Edwardian

Edwardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,277 posts
  • LocationLand of the Prince Bishops

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:50

Lest there be any doubt as to the popularity of an F1 kit in certain quarters: https://www.ebay.co....5.c100005.m1851

• Agree x 1

#29 TurboSnail

TurboSnail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:28

Might have to jack up my prices then!  :jester:

As I'm making these models for myself as well, I don't really care about making a profit, as long as people can enjoy them. As far as costs go, my current projected cost for the F class, motorised but excluding paint and transfers (achieved with lots of hand-waving and guesstimation) is about £95, half of which is wheels from Markits. I think I can reduce that though, particularly if my alternative motor plan works and if I use a cheaper printing company.

EDIT: I should point out the that sum assumes you don't already have things like pickup wire, handrail knobs, couplings, detail parts etc. in your spares box.

Edited by TurboSnail, 16 June 2018 - 09:31 .

• Like x 2

#30 sem34090

sem34090

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationWhere Summer comes soonest...

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:11

I will have to investigate this 3Dhubs producer myself and report back, as he looks very promising and (even better) cheaper than shapeways. The reports of this particular producer have been very good so I think it would be advisable to stick with just that one.

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#31 TurboSnail

TurboSnail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:37

Looking forward to your feedback! I'm going to have a look into print surface finishing as well which would allow use of a cheaper printing method for some less visible parts, we'll see how that goes.

• Like x 2

#32 TurboSnail

TurboSnail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 17 June 2018 - 14:25

Some rudimentary cab detail going in this afternoon, if anyone has any photos of an F class cab that would be very useful, as I'm just making guesses at the moment based on other locos and models. It's also fairly limited as you cannot print very fine detail like pipework and valves and have them come out properly, so those bits can be added with wire and plasticard later.

And yes, the splashers have to be that thick unfortunately, the downside of modelling in OO gauge.

1F2.JPG

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 2
  • Like x 2

#33 TurboSnail

TurboSnail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:05

Yesterday was very productive, lots of bits added to the F class model - all I can say is that Mr. Sterling was certainly fond of rivets! If there are any rivet-counters out there, do let me know how many there should be... Might turn my attention to the chassis for a bit and work out how it's going to be motorised and electrified.

1F3.JPG

1F4.JPG

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 4
  • Like x 1

#34 Vanguard 5374

Vanguard 5374

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:33

I will have to investigate this 3Dhubs producer myself and report back, as he looks very promising and (even better) cheaper than shapeways. The reports of this particular producer have been very good so I think it would be advisable to stick with just that one.

I can vouch for 3Dhubs. Uploaded a few of my own designs and have found them to be roughly half of the price Shapeways charge for similar materials.

• Informative/Useful x 2

#35 Edwardian

Edwardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:55

Some rudimentary cab detail going in this afternoon, if anyone has any photos of an F class cab that would be very useful, as I'm just making guesses at the moment based on other locos and models.

attachicon.gif1F2.JPG

No, but I have a drawing that might help.

Will PM you later with some scans.

The drawing, and this picture of a 7mm model (not the clearest) relate to No.240, Onward, the 34th F Class and the Paris Exhibition loco. So, 1889 condition.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5561.JPG
  • SE&CR No.240, Onward, 7mm Model, 03 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Edwardian, 18 June 2018 - 09:58 .

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#36 Compound2632

Compound2632

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,851 posts
  • LocationReading, UK

Posted 18 June 2018 - 17:35

An F in original condition... 

As they still say on the stopping trains into Reading by the SER line, better Earley than late.

• Funny x 1

#37 TurboSnail

TurboSnail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted Today, 08:45

Progress will probably be a bit slower from now on as I'm working 8-10+ hours a day on a uni project and the last thing on my mind when I get in at the end of the day is doing more CAD work. However, I have found some time this morning to update the cab detail a bit in accordance with Edwardian's drawings. It's going to be a case of adding all the pipework the old-fashioned way as it's all too fine to print, but at least it's a start.

1F5.JPG

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 2

#38 Edwardian

Edwardian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted Today, 09:15

Progress will probably be a bit slower from now on as I'm working 8-10+ hours a day on a uni project and the last thing on my mind when I get in at the end of the day is doing more CAD work. However, I have found some time this morning to update the cab detail a bit in accordance with Edwardian's drawings. It's going to be a case of adding all the pipework the old-fashioned way as it's all too fine to print, but at least it's a start.

attachicon.gif1F5.JPG

Looking good, Tom

• Thanks x 1

#39 TurboSnail

TurboSnail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted Today, 09:30

Work has also started on the tender, but I think this is as far as I'll get today, cars don't build themselves!

1F6.JPG

• Like x 1

#40 Guy Rixon

Guy Rixon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted Today, 10:09

First off, I want an F-class, even if I have to sell a grandchild to get it. I would also consider a B and an F1, but not an A because the As had been rusticated by my modelling period. Can't remember if the B1s are in period for me.

I think I've seen a really good cab-photo for an F somewhere in my various books. I will scan and post if I can find it.

If a Stirling steam-reverser pump was produced as a separate print of good quality, then I'd probably buy a couple of those to to replace duff castings on some latent kits.

Finally, be very careful of the rivets. A lot of Ashford-built locos before 1900 had flush-head rivets which disappeared beneath paint. The rebuilds - F1, B1 etc. - might have been done with snap-head rivets and any locos built for the SER and SECR by the trade might also have visible rivets. Of course, it's easy enough to sand off rivets if they are not needed.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d, printing, SECR, SE&CR, pre-grouping, kit