Location/photos of Norwood Yard(s).

C126

• RMweb Gold

A simple, and probably silly, question: where were the locations of the old Norwood (Up and Down) Yards?  Please could someone point me to any photographs in the usual photographic literature.  Have they been swallowed up in the huge Selhurst Depot site, or was they east of this, the other side of the main lines to London Bridge?  Did one close, leaving the other to be just "Norwood Yard", or were they both closed together?

I was disappointed not to see them featured in the Middleton Press volume ('East Croydon to London Bridge').  For such an important location (handling inter-regional wagon-load freight for the Southern Region), they appear to be little illustrated, although there are several photographs around of goods trains thereto/from.

Many thanks as ever.

The Up Yard was sandwiched between the main line and EMU Depot which has gradually expanded to encompass it.  The somewhat larger Down Yard was to the East of the Main Line, as mentioned by the Fat Controller, as freight traffic ran down in the 1980's this became just Norwood Yard, the site is now largely covered by housing.

Copy of an old control diagram (unfortunately undated) below may be of interest.

post-31664-0-28268800-1531671287_thumb.jpg

Edited by SED Freightman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think we can be sure SED Freightman’s drawing, which used to stare me in the face at Redhill Control 1968-9, is post 1954, when Gloucester Road box took over from Selhurst Junction, Norwood Fork Junction and Windmill Bridge Junction boxes, as well as a previous Gloucester Road. I believe these drawings were prepared about 1960.

I have looked in vain for the up yard reception roads, known to traincrew as Nos 1&2 Teetotal Sidings, because they were so far from a pub!

• Like 1

Remarkable 1939 colour photo here https://www.flickr.com/photos/swift-valley/4169602386/

You can relate it to the schematic track plan by the locotion of the carriage washer on the left.

Somewhere, there is a companion photo to this one, showing a N class loco, but it doesn't really show any more of the yard.

And a wonderfully grim view during the great freeze of 1963 https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve75c/4266748851

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

I think we can be sure SED Freightman’s drawing, which used to stare me in the face at Redhill Control 1968-9, is post 1954, when Gloucester Road box took over from Selhurst Junction, Norwood Fork Junction and Windmill Bridge Junction boxes, as well as a previous Gloucester Road. I believe these drawings were prepared about 1960.

I have looked in vain for the up yard reception roads, known to traincrew as Nos 1&2 Teetotal Sidings, because they were so far from a pub!

Thanks for providing a clue as to the date of my Control Diagrams.

Could the Up Receptions be the electrified lines at the bottom right hand side of the diagram shewn as No.1 & 2 Goods Loops ?

Any idea how the Pickle Road in the Down Yard gained its name ?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for providing a clue as to the date of my Control Diagrams.

Could the Up Receptions be the electrified lines at the bottom right hand side of the diagram shewn as No.1 & 2 Goods Loops ?

Any idea how the Pickle Road in the Down Yard gained its name ?

I think you must be right about the Teetotals, because they sit right where I would expect. No idea about the pickles - but guess in the mists of time a factory of that flavour might have been close by or even served?

• RMweb Gold

My hearty thanks as ever to you all for giving this question your consideration, and such prompt replies.  I had no idea the original yards were so extensive.

I should just correct the Middleton Press title as "London Bridge to East Croydon", and published 1988.  There is a picture (pl.112) in Mr Marsden's 'Diesels on the regions : Southern region' (1984) of a '33' and inspection saloon passing a fan of sidings on the west of the main line (adjoining the depot), which I thought might be the yard.  There is another similar I have seen, but can not locate, of an '08' propelling a few wagons into these sidings as well.

Thank you especially to 'SED Freightman' and Dave/'Unravelled' for the maps.  I see now how the rest of my week will be spent...

• Like 2