I'm probably sure this is something that I might have posted before and something that I am sure many electric modellers are faced with. How does one go about making the registration arms for Overhead Line Equipment (OHLE). I am very impressed with the PECO Mk3 catenary masts, despite the hefty price for them and the wires, but there is no mention of them making any for multiple track spans. I have got a set of MK3 catenary gantries to run over four tracks that go from two tracks, all made and weathered and the PECO catenary wires to go with them. However there's nothing really there to hold them in place and finish it off.

Does anybody know anyone who makes the registration arms for OHLE? Or does anyone know how to make them? I'm okay with soldering and fitting them in place but don't know to go about making any which would look the part in a way.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Below is a photo of one OHLE gantry I have, which has since been painted and weathered since this photo was taken.

Inter City Express Service

I

I’ve made mine from guitar string, a heavier gauge than I use for the wires themselves. There are some photos and notes in my Ravensclyffe thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3288-ravensclyffe/&do=findComment&comment=23801

Andi

I did just take a look and yeah that's amazing work you done there. I didn't really think of using guitar string for such a thing. I know some have used piano wire. Did you use any scale drawings? Or go by what you saw?

Edited by nhdesigns

• RMweb Gold

I

I did just take a look and yeah that's amazing work you done there. I didn't really think of using guitar string for such a thing. I know some have used piano wire. Did you use any scale drawings? Or go by what you saw?

Thank you for your kind comments.

I've said a few times here and elsewhere that I've found guitar string to be ideal for OLE, it solders easily, it's designed to be kept under tension, and while under tension it's expected to withstand being belted! Many times when exhibiting Dagworth I've demonstrated that it can be given considerable abuse without damage.

Clive Mortimore did a huge amount of drawings, some of which can be found on RMweb, I was also given a copy of the OLEMI, the Overhead Line Equiment Master Index, which is the construction drawings library of BR (and subsequent organisations) Overhead Line Equipment.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

I'm probably sure this is something that I might have posted before and something that I am sure many electric modellers are faced with. How does one go about making the registration arms for Overhead Line Equipment (OHLE). I am very impressed with the PECO Mk3 catenary masts, despite the hefty price for them and the wires, but there is no mention of them making any for multiple track spans. I have got a set of MK3 catenary gantries to run over four tracks that go from two tracks, all made and weathered and the PECO catenary wires to go with them. However there's nothing really there to hold them in place and finish it off.

Does anybody know anyone who makes the registration arms for OHLE? Or does anyone know how to make them? I'm okay with soldering and fitting them in place but don't know to go about making any which would look the part in a way.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Below is a photo of one OHLE gantry I have, which has since been painted and weathered since this photo was taken.

I make my own - of course it is not British but continental, but you can of course make all kind of alterations. I made Austrian and Italian overhead lines in the past. 

You find something here.

I linked to this page as I think it will be closest what you need. You will have a profile coming down from the portal as I have it on the picture. Of course have a look at the whole thread as I make also my own contact wires and other OHL related things.

And also in Donnersbachkogel (link below) you will find a few entries about making the poles and so on. 

Vecchio