If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello - at last

RLBH

Hi,

I'm a 30-year-old engineer based in Glasgow. I've been lurking on RMWeb for a while, and finally created an account. I've been interested in railways as long as I can remember. My wife bought me a Hornby Flying Scotsman trainset for Christmas last year, little knowing what she'd unleash; it didn't take long for me to decide I wanted to have a properly scenic model railway - but a model railway all the same. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't operate trains it isn't a model railway but a really fancy diorama.

My interests lie in diesel and electric haulage - steam doesn't do a lot for me aesthetically, though I find the engineering aspects fascinating - freight operations, and the railways of the Scottish Highlands in the 1960s-1980s before Sprinters came along and made it all a bit boring. Counterfactual history is also a bit of an interest of mine, and I'm liable to put in my two penn'orth on the Imaginary Locomotives thread.

It's taken me most of the year of playing around with ideas to conclude that I can't really get a layout that would satisfy me in 00 in the space available to me. So, N gauge it shall have to be, and I may as well commit to DCC now rather than be faced with more expense to do it later. Space constraints also mean that I need a layout which can be stored away when not in use - so it will be based on four 1050mm x 450mm boards.

My proposed layout, 'Ernemouth', will be a Moray Coast branch line terminus serving a small harbour based on Lossiemouth and Burghead (which, as it turns out, have very nearly the same size harbour basin) and a distillery. Once I get around to building the boards, that is. The whole lot will be a learning experience, that much is for sure!

Robert