Dynamis Ultima - Additional Throttles

batrapyr

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help with a spot of ignorance, on my part, in relation to the Bachmann Dynamis Ultima.

I did a fair amount of research into the most appropriate system for me. I am NOT saying that the Dynamis Ultima is the cheapest, most sophisticated or easy to use - it just happens to meet most of my requirements in a reasonably uncomplicated bit of kit. As I am only just starting out with my first layout I believe that the Dynamis Ultima will deliver all of the functionality that I will require, at least for the first couple of years.

Following advice, I am going to start 'small', in terms of layout size. However the ultimate objective is to build quite a large layout - not in terms of rolling stock or track but in surface area. I hope to end up with a fiddleyard > scenic > fiddleyard layout that will show the railway being 'fitted' to the countryside, not the other way around. If all baseboards were laid 'end to end', this N gauge layout will (eventually) be something like 12 metres in length. I hope to be able to wire up so that it can be run semi-automatically, with one operator. However, I would like to be able to run it with 3 - 4 individual operators. And that is where my problems will, eventually, lie.

The Dynamis Ultima comes with a piece of kit ('IR extension') but I have been unable to find any instructions on how to use this. Also, If I want (say) 3 operators how do I add an additional 2 controllers (throttles)? At various points on the Bachmann web site, it refers to these throttles as part number 36-507 but I have yet to find anywhere that I can purchase one or more of them. Even Bachmann seems to say that they are not available!

Final 'daft' question.... given the length of the layout, will I need boosters?

Thanks, in anticipation, for any help.

Barry

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The IR detectors are just plugged into the main Dynamis Ultima box.

Just put them around the layout at strategic points so the handsets can see them.

I've found with mine they can have a wide arc left/right but if you lift or lower the handset too much the signal drops dramatically.

The handsets just need to have the ID number changed in the menu, so each handset has its own ID number.

Trying to get hold of handsets was OK you just need to browse many retailers to see who has stock available.

The IR detectors are very thin on the ground I managed to get two both from different retailers as nobody had any.

Also shop around the price difference is quite something.

When I asked Bachmann about this a few months ago they did say to check local retailers as they didn't have any stock and weren't going to be ordering another batch for a few months.

Cheers

Ian

• 4 weeks later...