NoahGreenfield

Hello all. This forum will be dedicated to the design and construction of a 900 x 600 mm layout named 'Rheneas Station'. It is roughly based on Rheneas Station seen on the Skarloey Railway, from Thomas and Friends. This first post shows a rough trackplan, along with an absolutely horrid job sketching items on top using Microsoft paint (all I have for image manipulation on my computer). At this time the layout consists of a dual track loop with an engine shed, station, watermill and a bridge over a stream. At this time a cannot decide whether the rear end of the layout should be hidden with a backscene and used as a fiddle yard or should be instead be a short forest section. Please let me know what you think, Thanks.

Noah.

post-35387-0-06424300-1545382043_thumb.png

Edited by NoahGreenfield

I quite like it although I feel the double track layout is perhaps a bit unlikely for a Talyllyn-type line. A more likely scenario would be a single track dividing into a passing loop in the station area. Also I note that the outer loop has no physical connection to the rest of it which may make it less interesting to operate. If it was my layout I think I would have the outer loop as the main line, becoming double track in the station area to allow trains to pass there. I would probably keep the inner track on one side though as a sort of slate/mineral branch. Ultimately it’s up to you though.

Echo above, a passing loop on a single line would have  a greater level of operational interest as well as looking more prototypically accurate. I would retain the cutting on the right hand side of your plan (its an interesting feature), swap it to the outer track, and eliminate the centre circuit entirely while adding a passing loop in the station. The passing loop, however, could be quite lengthy - in order to retain the look of the TV series I would place the points roughly parallel to the engine shed on the left and past the level crossing and bridge on the right - something like this (apologies for the shockingly bad drawing, my work computer only has paint :) )

post-35387-0-06424300-1545382043-thumb.p

Edited by Edge

Echo above, a passing loop on a single line would have  a greater level of operational interest as well as looking more prototypically accurate. I would retain the cutting on the right hand side of your plan (its an interesting feature), swap it to the outer track, and eliminate the centre circuit entirely while adding a passing loop in the station. The passing loop, however, could be quite lengthy - in order to retain the look of the TV series I would place the points roughly parallel to the engine shed on the left and past the level crossing and bridge on the right - something like this (apologies for the shockingly bad drawing, my work computer only has paint :) )

post-35387-0-06424300-1545382043-thumb.p

That's a great idea, thanks. I'll probably go along with that.

That’s far more along the lines of what I had in mind, yes.

Should point out at this point that it is your layout, not mine and you should feel free to ignore anything if that is what you want to do :)

I still quite like the mineral branch idea that I suggested but I can see now how that might not work as well as I initially thought. What is the intended radius for this? Considering the board is only 2ft wide then not having the inner circuit is probably wise but I don’t know if having part of the passing loop on the curve will reintroduce any issues with minimum radius.

I still quite like the mineral branch idea that I suggested but I can see now how that might not work as well as I initially thought. What is the intended radius for this? Considering the board is only 2ft wide then not having the inner circuit is probably wise but I don’t know if having part of the passing loop on the curve will reintroduce any issues with minimum radius.

The intended radius of the curves are number one radius I believe. I'm going to use Peco settrack with a couple pieces of flexible track as I don't want to mess things up by forming a curve incorrectly and causing derailments. The curves in mind are the Peco ST-412 track pieces. As with the Lynton & Barnstable locomotives, I can't afford them, and I mainly plan on using short wheelbase models anyway.

Edited by NoahGreenfield