Inter-City Mark 3 Sleepers with ScotRail Blue-Stripe

• RMweb Gold

I've already asked this question on another forum, which has caused a bit of argument.

I have received a request to produce overlays for a pair of MkIII Sleepers in Executive Livery but with the ScotRail light blue band. The suggested numbers are SC10578 and SC10610.

Now, I have a very vague recollection of a couple of Sleepers receiving the blue band as a local depot-level repaint for ScotRail internal sleeper services in the mid-1980s. I believe the Inter-City was replaced with ScotRail to read "ScotRail Sleeper"

There seems to be a total lack of photographs or eye-witness reports to bear this out. Did these happen or am I just getting old ?

post-7123-127291628906_thumb.jpg

It looks really good, Im not sure if its real though.

Ive been doing a lot of research on ScotRail train formations in the 1980's/90's with books, videos, dvd's and the interweb for my new layout and havent seen any sleeper coaches in this livery- I have to point out so far! In fact there doesent seem to be a lot of pictures of the internal Scottish sleepers-seems to be a bit of a dark area so to speak.

The blue and grey sleepers based at Craigentinny (for the Glasgow/Edinburgh to Inverness/Aberdeen services) certainly carried ScotRail Sleeper on them, my collegue who worked at Craigentinny stated this.

The 1987 Platform 5 Coaching Stock book states 10578 and 10610 as being in full ScotRail livery but they were repainted to InterCity during that year as I have altered the book as per the lists in Rail Enthusiast. I have never seen a photo of either coach but Platform 5 was pretty accurate. I'll ask my collegue tomorrow night if he remembers any being in that livery.

This photo of 10578 shows it was painted in InterCity with a red stripe before the INTERCITY branding came out on May 1987.

I'm pretty sure, verging on certain this topic came up before, but it may have been a different Mk3 - some form of day coach as opposed sleeper perhaps.

A google search of the old forum yielded only a solitary passing mention of blue-stripe Scotrail/intercity liveried sleepers, nothing like the thread I had in mind.

The blue and grey sleepers based at Craigentinny (for the Glasgow/Edinburgh to Inverness/Aberdeen services) certainly carried ScotRail Sleeper on them, my collegue who worked at Craigentinny stated this.

These must have been really slow trains. I assume they lingered at stations for a while to give everyone a long enough sleep! I'm surprised there was much demand for a short service.

These must have been really slow trains. I assume they lingered at stations for a while to give everyone a long enough sleep! I'm surprised there was much demand for a short service.

23.30 Glasgow to Inverness arrived Perth 00.37, 23.25 Edinburgh to Inverness arrived Perth 00.54. One sleeper to Aberdeen departing Perth 01.10 arriving 03.16 (attached to a push-pull rake), the rest joined together leaving at 00.54 from Perth and arriving at Inverness 04.35. Kick out time at Inverness and Aberdeen 07.30.

23.40 from Inverness arrived Glasgow at 05.20 and Edinburgh at 06.46, kick out again at 07.30.

I've already asked this question on another forum, which has caused a bit of argument.

I have received a request to produce overlays for a pair of MkIII Sleepers in Executive Livery but with the ScotRail light blue band. The suggested numbers are SC10578 and SC10610.

Now, I have a very vague recollection of a couple of Sleepers receiving the blue band as a local depot-level repaint for ScotRail internal sleeper services in the mid-1980s. I believe the Inter-City was replaced with ScotRail to read "ScotRail Sleeper"

There seems to be a total lack of photographs or eye-witness reports to bear this out. Did these happen or am I just getting old ?

post-7123-127291628906_thumb.jpg

The two coaches are noted in my 1987 copy of I/A Motive Power combined volume in ScotRail livery of (Beige, Dark Grey with Blue stripe) and are numbered PS10578 & IS10610. Whether or not the two coaches carried this livery in service I'm afraid I don't know.

K9-70

• RMweb Gold

That's the one - many thanks to those who replied!

I need to make some mods to my artwork - the Rail Blue stripe and Inter-City lettering.

Interesting about the earliest ScotRail repaints having a darker stripe - that explains some of those Lima MkIIIs from the 80s....

Interesting about the earliest ScotRail repaints having a darker stripe - that explains some of those Lima MkIIIs from the 80s....

It was a Chris Green special done at St.Rollox on an unscheduled and was purely a short trial for his delectation (a one hour viewing by him a Queen Street) before he decided just to continue with the light blue stripe (having already painted a large number of them anyway) and was only applied for a very short time that I can remember. The Lima MkIIIs are a mistake..... All bar that one should be the normal "ScotRail" light Blue.

Archived