Hornby class 08

Piemanlarger

• RMweb Premium

Very similar, certainly, but I think they've removed some material (most of the two metal ridges atop the gear tower) to make space for the wider decoder. Seems like a good move, let's hope they use this chassis in the non-sound versions as well over time.

Does fitting the speaker backwards like that mean they can install a bigger one? I know the micro speaker only just fits between the pillars facing forward, as seen in Jim's above and mine below:

almost-done.jpg

Thanks Stu for posting the pics of the sound version - I'm certainly tempted to get one.

Will

Out of interest is this a R2902XS 08 844 in EWS? Is that a Loksound 3.5 decoder?

I had a Hornby 60 with a factory-fitted 21-pin ESU chip in it. That would run OK for about 5 minutes, and would then become semi-uncontrollable (OK in one direction, instant full-speed runaway in the other whatever controller setting was used). So there may well be potential heating problems there, although it sounds like the symptoms for mine were more extreme than yours!

I ended up returning the loco to the dealer for a refund after the initial replacement packed up as well in a different way. Hornby tech support were very good, and if I was in the UK they'd be my first option I think.

In the interim, running with a lower volume should make the amp's life easier and may give you more runtime before you hit the heating issues.

Cheers,

Will

Hi

I have mine running some times for 3 4 hours with sound on all the time

it gets a bit warm on top of the engine hood

but never seen any difference in the way it operates !!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i'd add this to this interesting thread

Here's my zimo 08 

after reading and seeing alot of posts and vid's and hearing a Hornby sound 08 (not impressed)
so i fitted a Hornby 08 with Zimo MX648R and a oval speaker
IMAG0848.jpg
first thing i noticed when i opened her up was that the rad grill is removable, excellent so off it comes
IMAG0843.jpg
IMAG0844.jpg
then make a hole in the center, this is the opening for the speaker and you cant see it when grill is back on
IMAG0845.jpg
IMAG0846.jpg
IMAG0847.jpg
IMAG0849.jpg

here's two vid's with both of them done the same way very impressed with the sound  :D

please click link below and comment on my thread

John 

HI all

I have the green 08 and have or had the same problems

in the end i found that the pickup were not alwasy making contact due to the latteral movement of the wheel sets

after easing them out to give a bigger pressure on the flange backs solved the problem

but the track realy needs to be checked espessialy on point work

as the wheels have no vertical play it can slightly lift the wheels clear on the frogs just enough to lose contact

mine seems to run ok now i fettled some of the points

for the speaker

i have been told that you can improve the sound by removing the plasic from the body behind the grill

and turning the speaker round to face outwards,

i have not done this as the sound is load enough for me ( or so my wife says )

the decoder fitted is a loksound 4  so dont try to run it at full volume

i am told that due to the speaker size fitted this could damage to amp on the decoder

Rgds

Mike

HI all

I have the green 08 and have or had the same problems

in the end i found that the pickup were not alwasy making contact due to the latteral movement of the wheel sets

after easing them out to give a bigger pressure on the flange backs solved the problem

but the track realy needs to be checked espessialy on point work

as the wheels have no vertical play it can slightly lift the wheels clear on the frogs just enough to lose contact

mine seems to run ok now i fettled some of the points

for the speaker

i have been told that you can improve the sound by removing the plasic from the body behind the grill

and turning the speaker round to face outwards,

i have not done this as the sound is load enough for me ( or so my wife says )

the decoder fitted is a loksound 4  so dont try to run it at full volume

i am told that due to the speaker size fitted this could damage to amp on the decoder

Rgds

Mike

The 2013 Legomanbiffo version has now got Wooden or Metal Slaming doors!!!   All optional of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All

Can anyone give a list of cv's to alter,  for the sound on a early Hornby class 08 I take CV63 down to 10 with no change to volume also I have seem to lost the whistle I Remember reading that if you put value 8 into cv8 it reset to factory settings? so anyone has that type of list to hand I would be very grateful with any help 

Archived