Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Wagons Roll !

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Mike Turner and myself spent some time in the cabin looking at the Dapol IOA, and we've come up with a "to do" list, I am posting this now but I have some sound projects to finish first so I will return to this at some future date.

The model as bought, all 4 of mine had wheels which had been displaced in transit :unsure:

A nice model but some mistakes are quite jarring once spotted, and probably could have been avoided :unknw_mini:

post-6662-008449600 1287918070_thumb.jpg

The bogies have a damper which connects to the triangular plate, admittedly this is a difficult one due to train set curves, I will be investigating this area to see what, if anything, can be done.

The footstep on the left (just visible in the shadow) bends the wrong way.

The brake blocks are moulded on the bogie frame, they are hardly visible on the prototypes and so will be removed, and possibly (probably) not replaced.

post-6662-099060300 1287918071_thumb.jpg

The central brake area, the smooth beam under "R 70" should have a ratchet on it, as it's smooth it can't even be highlighted with paints or the like, the cylinder is about half the size it should be, so some work required here.

My current thinking is an etch and maybe a resin cylinder.

post-6662-079349500 1287918073_thumb.jpg

The single footstep is too chunky and more annoyingly it's in the wrong place, the multiple footsteps are too big :wacko:

An mask will be etched to give the correct positions, and new steps fabricated, shame as they are nice and fine.

post-6662-051967600 1287918075_thumb.jpg

The cylinder on the other side is too long, it's should be shorter and fatter

post-6662-040838700 1287918079_thumb.jpg

After checking prototype photos I was surprised as to how puny the real ones are, so these aren't as bad as they might first seem, as for the couplings ...

post-6662-013605100 1287918085_thumb.jpg

The parking brake wheels could stand replacement and there are some solid areas on the model which can be opened out, a generally nice model but with some annoyances (to me) which could have been picked up prior to production (imho)

Mike Turner and myself spent some time in the cabin looking at the Dapol IOA, and we've come up with a "to do" list, I am posting this now but I have some sound projects to finish first so I will return to this at some future date.

a generally nice model but with some annoyances (to me) which could have been picked up prior to production (imho)

Good one Dave, looking forward to see what you can do to get this bad boy closer to the prototype. Btw, I bend my own stirrups, I think you call this a footstep. That item located under the hand grabs on the outside corners. As for the air cyl, get that Mikey man rotating his lathe with a bit of stock between the chuck jaws. Super easy thing to turn.

Cheers, Tone

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. I only have one [fortunately] and noted several discrepancies between it and the prototype.

There are a few things you have missed.

The label clip is galvanised metal not painted white and the lower half of the lettering panel below it should have a red outline not black ... and should read 20.0 not 24.0.

There is a filler piece [two different styles of this] at the end of the sides just below the top angle that is missing on the model.

The top of the wagon is not flat as the inside is angled as well as the outside.

Dapol's interpretation of the lettering fonts is questionable.

The underframe cross members are a work of fiction and in no way resemble the real thing.

Brake gear is much simplified and is not as finely moulded as recent Bachmann releases i.e. their MOA.

I think that's all apart from I'm still not sure whether the detail on the ends is deep enough.

HTH

Mark

I'll be following this with interest. The most obvious errors (to my eyes) are slightly more cosmetic! Namely the yellow paint finish, which looks almost translucent, and the Network Rail logos which should be darker and bolder. However, given the number of small decals required I could completely understand if you don't decide to re-paint it!

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Gold

I'll be following this with interest. The most obvious errors (to my eyes) are slightly more cosmetic! Namely the yellow paint finish, which looks almost translucent, and the Network Rail logos which should be darker and bolder. However, given the number of small decals required I could completely understand if you don't decide to re-paint it!

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will,

it will be a few weeks until I get to start this,I've got 4 shows to either help run, take a layout to or demo at over the next 5 weeks, and then it's Xmas :O - I have also ordered the FNAs which will go with these to make a model based on a specific train - more when I get a round tuit ;)

Hi Will,

it will be a few weeks until I get to start this,I've got 4 shows to either help run, take a layout to or demo at over the next 5 weeks, and then it's Xmas :O - I have also ordered the FNAs which will go with these to make a model based on a specific train - more when I get a round tuit ;)

Excellent, not many people model convincing modern infrastructure trains (something which is bound to change with the above wagons plus Bachmann Autoballasters), so I look forward to seeing the finished article. I have some contacts on the wagon side of NR so let me know if there's any particular info you need :) .

My secret ambition is to build a High Output Ballast Cleaner consist, but it'll take years and a lot of patience! I also have a friend who wants to build a tamper with working tamping banks under DCC control... whatever next?

Cheers,

Will

Archived