BR Express Blue

Hi,

I'm currently building a DJH A1 Peppercorn Pacific and it's getting to the point where I'm going to have think about liveries.

The model is a Doncaster spec (raised rivets), and so I decided from the begining to try to model No. 60121 - Silurian.

I have read that during the same month that she was named, she was also painted in BR Express Blue livery, and I want to be able to apply this livery to my finished model.

Please can someone tell me where to get the correct colour from? I've looked at the Railmatch, Phoenix and Humbrol range, and to be honest I can't find it! Is there an automotive colour I can use that would match?

Thank you!:)

Please can someone tell me where to get the correct colour from? I've looked at the Railmatch, Phoenix and Humbrol range, and to be honest I can't find it! Is there an automotive colour I can use that would match?

Phoenix precision paints

P102 B.R. Steam Light Loco Blue (1949-1951) ?

Cheers for that. Mmm, the Phoenix light blue does seem to be what's on offer from the model manufacturers.

I have been for a rumage at my local Halfords and managed to find a couple of similar shades of automotive paint. At the moment it's a toss up between Ford "Fjord " Blue and Ford "Maritime" Blue. I had a pot of Garter Blue with me and worked it out from there.

I'm going to try it out on an old Wrenn shell and see how it turns out.

Looking through some of the other threads with regards to the BR Express Blue, and it would seem that the colour used in some of the models (Bachmann?) is like a deep dark blue. Is this correct? Has anyone got any colour photos of an A1 in this livery? Had a browse on the web,and searches only came back with the loco in Brunswick Green.

I really want to paint the model in this livery as I have a rather tasty set of early BR Gresley coaches that would be perfect with her...:D

• RMweb Gold

Looking through some of the other threads with regards to the BR Express Blue, and it would seem that the colour used in some of the models (Bachmann?) is like a deep dark blue.

Make sure you're not getting confused with experimental dark blue, which is a much deeper and more "purple" shade than the express passenger blue we're talking about here. I don't know if Bachmann have applied this shade to any of their models (I don't think so, but could be wrong) but Hornby have certainly done a few A4s in the darker blue, together with the red/cream/grey lining and "British Railways" on the tender, rather than the crest. The experimental blue was only applied to a few classes, didn't last long, and I'm not sure if an A1 was one of them - best to consult one of the standard texts, such as "The Power of..." type books, I reckon.

The lighter, express passenger blue was an officially applied livery, not an experiment, and it would have been applied with white/black/white lining (I think yellow/black/yellow was also used on some classes - anyone confirm this?) and the early crest. You can run this livery with coaches in crimson/cream, but the experimental dark blue would (I think) be more appropriate in conjunction with stock still running in pre-nationalisation colours, or one of the experimental coaching stock colours.

I think the Phoenix shade is a good representation of express blue; it may look a little "off" when first applied, but the application of lining will make a big difference to the perceived hue.

Hi Brassmonkey,

If you really want to be certain, contact Mr Tony Wright at BRM magazine, by email. He is an expert on LNER/BR(E) locos. He has built 2 x DJH A1s for me. They were painted by Ian Rathbone, one in BR Steam Loco Blue and the other in Brunswick Green.

gresley

Wow, OzzyO! That is awesome! Looks very similar to the automotive paint shades that I found.

Thanks Gresley, I'll get in touch with Mr Wright and see what he says about the colour scheme.

On another note, where would be the best place to get the lining? Would the boiler bands be available from Fox?

Thanks,

BrassMonkey

• RMweb Gold

On another note, where would be the best place to get the lining? Would the boiler bands be available from Fox?

It's the same set as Caledonian lining, if I remember rightly - Fox do it.

Here's my King! (KG1):

post-6720-079683500 1291762740_thumb.jpg

post-6720-018308300 1291762800_thumb.jpg

I think they look great in blue, but it's a matter of taste...

That looks absolutely stunning, especially with Blood and Custard coaches in tow. Blue is definateley the colour. I have a Wrenn "Windsor Castle" in the blue livery, but with yellow lining and I always thought it looked weird Hopefully it should suit the A1.

BrassMonkey

In my opinion, the BR Blue suits the A1s and A4s very well. Not so happy with the A3s. Likewise, the Duchesses looked good but the Princess Royals didn't (IMHO). I suggest that you stay away from yellow lining. It looks terrible and anyway, it is wrong.

Finally, I am old enough to have actually seen them "for real". One particular memory was seeing City of Litchfield arriving at Manchester London Road on a running in turn, fresh out of Crewe Works. You could actually smell the paint !!!!!!!

My first A4 was 60028 Walter K Whigham, brought to a stand in the middle road at Doncaster station. Superb in BR Blue.

One final word. Go easy on the boiler band lining. The RTR boys have been a bit heavy handed with these in the past, although they have improved.

gresley

Thank you!:)

Hi,

I used Railmatch for this and then included half a dozen drops of Coal Black in the satin varnish to give it an 'in use' look.

post-6951-020439300 1291796836_thumb.jpg

regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

What was the Railmatch paint code? My local Model shop supplies Railmatch colours and they usually have a full stock.

BrassMonkey

Hi Brassmonkey,

it is 321, I think that it is the only BR loco blue that they do.

regards

Mike

Thanks,

BrassMonkey

You should get them from Fox, just use the L.N.E.R. white / black / white lining. May even do it in a pack for the A1.

OzzyO.

Just ordered the paint - I'm going for the Railmatch Blue (321). I've used Railmatch on previous builds and it's always given off the right effect.

Thanks for all of your help! I'll post pictures of the finished project on the forum (or my blog) when it's done.

BrassMonkey

Archived