Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

Probably the most interesting part of the day for the driver of the station pilot, sorting the vans off of the mid day arrivals and preparing the return services. I suspect that Leander will miss this! Mind you, it keeps the signalman on his toes too!

http://youtu.be/3GNISukCM_k

I still needed more practice...............and you've gone and sold the layout !

Thanks for the last two vids - now get crackin' on Leeds :locomotive:

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Love the new video. Unfortunately it highlights my one problem with DCC sound. I really wish someone would put a coasting noise rather than chuffing to a stand. It sounds like the loco is stopping for a blow up everytime!

Plenty of sound decoders do offer just that - I have no idea whether John's is among them. Sound decoders typically offer a huge range of variables, and it can take a while for the best set-up for a particular loco to be found. I have decoders where the rod-clank volume exceeds the exhaust noise on coasting - just like the Schools Class locos that used to coast downhill past my school.

Unfortunately it highlights my one problem with DCC sound. I really wish someone would put a coasting noise rather than chuffing to a stand. It sounds like the loco is stopping for a blow up everytime!

I quite agree, that's why the Fairburn is fitted with a SWD v4 chip that does coast when you throttle back. The black five is fitted with a Zimo with Digitrains sound, this also coasts when you throttle back but is more difficult to achieve. Must be my poor driving technique on the video footage!!

I quite agree, that's why the Fairburn is fitted with a SWD v4 chip that does coast when you throttle back. The black five is fitted with a Zimo with Digitrains sound, this also coasts when you throttle back but is more difficult to achieve. Must be my poor driving technique on the video footage!!

But John, You've taken more trouble to get the 'sync' right than almost any other dcc steam sound opeartors I've heard .

Love the new video. Unfortunately it highlights my one problem with DCC sound. I really wish someone would put a coasting noise rather than chuffing to a stand. It sounds like the loco is stopping for a blow up everytime!

The technique to use is as TheLaird described in Post #710, Give the loco. full regulator (throttle opened up), when up to a respectable speed, close the regulator (i.e. throttle down) and it should coast with just the sound of the exhaust steam hissing through the cylinders.Both the Fairburns with the SWD v4.0 chip we've used at exhibitions on Bradfield perform well when driven like this. The problem arises when you've got a slow speed move and you don't get the chance to get much momentum up, then there's a risk of 'chuffing to a stand'. The v4.0 chip also has two sound levels of 'chuff', one when running light engine and a more pronounced sound under load.

THE LAST POST!

I thought it only right that a steam loco should have the honour of hauling the last departure from Bradfield Gloucester Square as we know it.

post-10660-0-01888200-1354532761_thumb.jpg

Black five 44781 has the honour of hauling the SLS Special from Leeds out of Bradfield’s platform 1 for the very last time (still without headlamps TW). Having arrived earlier into platform 2 and set back into the carriage sidings, leaving the stock in the headshunt whilst the loco turned at the shed. On return, 44781 coupled to the opposite end of the train before drawing forward into the branch siding and then setting back into the station for the passengers to rejoin the train ( a manoeuvre familiar to all Bradfield’s drivers). No fanfare then for the last train and no crowds on the platforms but she will be missed by those who new her!

And so my friends the end is near, time to face the final curtain. Regrets, there have been few but there’s one thing of which I am certain, without RMWeb the layout would never have evolved into what it became. This website is a brilliant idea and full credit must go to Andy York for steering it the way he has, he also takes some good pictures as well! However, the most valuable asset to me is the members, the RMWebbers who I have had the pleasure to meet, taken advice from and developed friendships with. It is always dangerous to single folks out but here goes anyway. In particular I must thank those that formed my operating team, Leander, Suddaby, Leopard and Cliff. Also, those that have and still do give freely of there advice on things “railway”, Beast666, Stationmaster and Flying Signalman without whom my knowledge of real railway operating practice would still be sadly lacking. Last but not least are all those of you who have made encouraging and complimentary comments on this thread or who have just ticked the like it box, you will never know how much motivation you have created. THANK YOU.

Archived