Wirral Finescale Railway Modellers

Farewell to Charlotte Road

beast66606

Tony, Do you have any difficulties caused by the fact you are working on a different continent than the other guys in the team?

For example my ideas of a P4 layout in the USA are on hold at present due to the nightmares I've been having over shipping between the UK and the USA since the end of November - it's a freaking full time job trying to track everything down due to the delays and damage caused............

Best, Pete

Tony, Do you have any difficulties caused by the fact you are working on a different continent than the other guys in the team?

For example my ideas of a P4 layout in the USA are on hold at present due to the nightmares I've been having over shipping between the UK and the USA since the end of November - it's a freaking full time job trying to track everything down due to the delays and damage caused............

Best, Pete

Not really Pete. Obviously I can't or do not get involved with the baseboard construction and the other carpentry stuff, lights, electrics and all the paraphernalia associated with building an exhibition layout. So what I do is build a large amount of the structures as single unit models or design the model so that I can build it in more than one part and later it can be joined together on installation by another WFRMer. I do ship a lot of stuff over to the guys and other non WFRM members who ask me to get them things and so far have never yet had any problem. Even shipping Charlotte Road when it was an end to end, the whole deal was seamless and the shipping company delivered to the door on the day and on time.

I never ship during what I call the Christmas months, and that includes at least the first half of November. I wait until at least to the middle of January in the event I have something to ship. I also break the size of the packages down. The rules are that if the package measure 36 inches - length, width and girth, as the US postal service call it, then you have to fill out the white customs forms that flag an almost certain UK VAT levy on the goods declared in the white form. Keeping the shipment below that size then you get to use the green form and although any/all packages are subject to US & UK customs search a package carrying the green form is less likely to get inspected. In the 27 years I have lived here and the hundreds of packages I have shipped over - All train stuff :D :D I think probably a couple of times the receiver has had to pay VAT.

Splitting a shipment into two or three smaller packages is usually far more reliable, easier for carrier to handle (less damage) and faster moving through customs and the security procedures the authorities now use. Also, my name and the persons I usually ship to have ben on the authorities computer for a long long time with a proven track record and that also helps for smooth transport of the package from origination to destination point.

As far as building a layout in P4 here. I've done it once and that's that. Right now I'm building stuff for WFRM's new layout which will be a US layout with the track plan close to that which is situated in Lafayette, IN. But our intent is to add some track to make it hopefully more interesting for the viewers at an exhibition. The shortline will come on scene from the front of the layout rather than from the rear of the layout per the prototype. This will entail a bridge for the mainline over the shortline. But we can 'cos its our train set. :P

I'll be building the signals and I have already made a start on the master for the rear aspect covers. The signal bridge will have a 13" span when done in 1:87.1 scale.

If I decide to build another P4, and I have certainly thought about it, I'd go for a small layout no longer than 8 feet scenic, maybe less, say 6 feet. Doable and doesn't take up too much room.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but perhaps some of these tips you can use to ease the pain. Yeah, I know shipping can be a bear.

Cheers, Tony

Ha, that's a thought - I hadn't realized that you might have tips to solve my shipping problems!!!!! Just wanted to vent, I guess.

I ordered a loco for conversion - took 4 weeks to get to me from England and when opened it looked like someone had taken a hammer to it. Returned it (after contacting store, getting approval etc) in the week between Xmas and New Year - heard nothing more, I suspect that it hasn't arrived yet. Then, of course have to go through all of that again (hopefully without the damage and further return)...................

I ordered a book on Class 40 diesels at Christmas; still waiting for it despite receiving another book from same vendor that I ordered one week later but not the third book which supposedly had shipped with the second. D'oh!

Thanks Tony, Pete.

That really is a beautiful layout and the perfect example of less is more. Congratulations on creating something really special. I've read through the various postings and apologies if I missed it, but what was the overall size of the layout once it became roundy roundy. Tony speaks of it being 16' long in it's original form so I'm guessing it must now be 26' x ?

I'd be grateful if you could let me know. Is there a full track plan available anywhere?

Just looking at the date, today is the day it's new owner picks her up. You lucky fella....:)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon,

thanks.

Lotty is (was for WFRM) 20' X 10' excluding the wings we added to extend the fiddle yard capacity.

Do you mean a plan for the scenic section or the lot(ty) :lol: ?

In the cabin awaiting the van, getting Widnes ready for the Ally Pally show

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry about it now, but I was curious how the yard was set up at the back. I think I can make out the scenic side from the pics.

Have a great weekend...:)

Ta B) - pub later, real ale festival, "dark beers and stouts", someone has to :D

Tomorrow evening I'll post screen shots of the Rail Road panels which might show what you want to see, if not then I am happy to assist further.

cheers,

Hi Gents

With the clearance of the cheque finalised for the payment of CR, Stuart & his good friend Nigel arrived yesterday afternoon to collect the layout.

At 15:00hrs Lotty Rd departed Foel View for the last time on it's journey to it's new home in Wolverhamptonrolleyes.gif

Now we can start the CJ build in earnest.laugh.gif USA here we come!!!!biggrin.gif

--

Cheers

Tim Rogers

Rhosesmor

Flintshire.

http://merlin46.zenfolio.com/

-

Don't worry about it now, but I was curious how the yard was set up at the back. I think I can make out the scenic side from the pics.

Have a great weekend...:)

Hi Gordon

Here are few images of the fiddleyard, which we still haverolleyes.gif

HTH

Tim

post-2011-0-95232600-1295804021_thumb.jpg

post-2011-0-85817800-1295804024_thumb.jpg

post-2011-0-62668800-1295804027_thumb.jpg

-always thought this was a nice layout, amazing how 'closed down' it looks without stock/signals etc! - hope its gone to a good home!

Hi Russ

Yes it has gone to good home in Wolverhampton where it will be transported back in time to 1929mellow.gif However it is most unlikely to be back on the exhibition circuit.

Cheers

Tim

Archived