Flying Scotsman USA Tour 1969 Train Pack

Garry D100

I just might have to buy one the set take it to a local Model Railroad club (Diablo Valley in Walnut Creek) and ask to run it. Prototype and all that. Will have to re-gauge the wheelsets which are usually way to narrow for US fine scale HO trackage. Replace the wheels on the second tender which look to be Hornby pizza cutters. And to comply with club standards add Kadee's.

I do remember it in the early 70's running up and down the San Francisco Belt Line Embarcadero trackage after the tour was over and the engine stranded here for a while. I knew the observation was there for many years, but did not pay much attention to it. I will have to look through my archives and see if I have any pictures (slides at that time) of it.

best

Hi I have posted in another forum under this heading in the collectors/vintage. But if you care this would affect us all who have recently bought this model

I only discovered this when i opened up the box to check that all parts were there.

It appears that Hornby have packed the wrong cylinder drain detaling pipes for all these trains, model No R2953. Have a look at your box photo and compare it to what you were given in the detailing pack or have now put on your train.

The copper detailng pipes on the front cylinder drain valves ( as packed in the box ) are not the same as shown on the box photo, they are different and I believe not correct for this model which should have the longer copper gylinder drain pipes fitted as shown on the box.

Actually the model should have the same detailing pipes packed as the Hornby NRM R2441 model, this is packed correctly with the correct detailing pipes for the model. Look also at the photo on the box for model NRM 2441 and compare it to the photo on the box for R2953 they should both have deailing packs like this.

The point is, that if this model R 2953 is not packed with the correct detailing pack, as shown on the box photo, how can it be a faithful repro and a collectable Limited Edition Pack. We should receive a model as shown on the box with the same detailing parts packed. For instance would you by a car shown in the manufacturers brochure with round headlights but when it turned up it had square headlights.

Talking to Hornby is like dealing with a load of dummies, they do not know what this bit should look like and do not undestand what they have put in the boxes.

Has anyone else noticed this packing error, they will all be the same.

mindhyg

Hi all

Sorry but I do not get why anyone would want this model ?, as the flying Scotsman never ran on BR track looking like this ,just seem to me Hornby have had a look round at something to sell, yes I know that collectors will jump on it and buy it.

This flying Scotsman came out a few years ago, just stick a cow catcher on the front and give it some Pullman coaches and sell it.

Sorry but I think this is just a cash cow for Hornby, IMHO

• RMweb Premium

Sorry but I do not get why anyone would want this model ?, as the flying Scotsman never ran on BR track looking like this ,just seem to me Hornby have had a look round at something to sell, yes I know that collectors will jump on it and buy it.

Well. I rode on it when it looked like that.

Hi all

Sorry but I do not get why anyone would want this model ?, as the flying Scotsman never ran on BR track looking like this

Yes it did, both to the docks, and away from the docks on its return home.

just seem to me Hornby have had a look round at something to sell, yes I know that collectors will jump on it and buy it.

Well, yes Darren, that's kind of the point to some extent...! I know when I get the cash I will be looking for one of these. It looks a fantastic bit of kit, and it's something I never got to see in real life...

Sorry but I think this is just a cash cow for Hornby, IMHO

What Flying Scotsman set hasn't been?

Without 4472 in preservation, I wonder if Hornby would still be around today...!

• 2 months later...

This version of FS is not one I would have bought in its own right, but I got a damaged one on flebay and it swapped tenders with an A1 and was renumbered and renamed to give me Spearmint in BR Apple Green as 60100. As for the observation car I thought it would be appropriate for my 1960s Scottish layout as they were used up here but in the end I disposed of it as it lacked facilities for a rear coupling which would have been essential to allow shunting on my end to end layout.

As for the second tender it has just been consigned to the spare tender box.

I manage to get one earlier this month and I have to say it worked perfectly on my layout. Cost much, but after playing with it I never regret it. The observation car is modelled grandly and perfect lighting for it too. I have to say, well done Hornby!

• 4 months later...

I recently got a triple DVD pack about Scotsman's USA tour, Aussie tour and refurb in 99 and I must say it has been very useful for me as I'm interested in modelling the full train.

Has anyone else noticed that one of the exhibition cars doesn't appear to be a Gresley teak? Gresley sides seem to curve in towards the chassis for about the bottom foot or so whereas one of the pics on this thread shows that one has dead flat sides?

Ok folks, research done and the full train should be quite easy to model. Not too much work involved either, mostly re-painting off the shelf stock and some window blanking.

You will need:

Bachmann MKI BCK x1

Bachmann Thompson full brake x2

Hornby LNER pigeon full brake x3

Bachmann Pullman 1st kitchen x1

Bachmann Pullman 1st x1

Appropriate umber and cream paint

Black paint for chassis

Grey paint for roofs (not 100% on exact flavour of grey)

Fox Pullman lining transfers for 8 coaches

Pullman renaming transfers (I might cheat- there is a company that offers self adhesive ones in the bay that include "Lydia" and "Isle of Thanet" for about a fiver)

The only detail I've not been able to source for 4mm modelling so far is the appropriate "Reception Car" and "Exhibition Car" names for the LNER vans.

I was apprehensive about whether I wanted to tale this project on initially but looks like I might now if funds will let me.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

been doing more research and buying of bits.

2 mistakes I will own up to. it's not 2 Thompson brakes and 3 Gresleys, it's 1 Thompson, 2 Dia. 327 Gresley Matchboard Bogie Brakes and 2 Gresley Pigeons.

My fleet so far consists of:

Scotsman USA tour pack,

Bachmann MKI BCK

Bachmann Thompson 63ft full brake,

Hornby Gresley Pigeon Full Brake x4 (2 to be used for conversion to Dia. 327)

And 2 sets of Mousa Models LNER Dia. 327 brass etched sides.

Most of the stock will only need repainting etc, whereas the two 327,s is a whole new ball game. The chassis is the same as the Gresley Pigeon so they're having their bodies removed and then the brass etches are going on. The roofs are another hurdle in that rather than curving down at the ends like a Gresley, they stay flat like a Thompson. I found some Comet alloy roofs on eBay cheap so will be using those and fabricating rain strips and destination board brackets to go on. the final challenge are the corridor ends. The panelling runs horizontally on 327's rather than vertically like other coaches so I am having to make them from scratch. I just hope I can stick at it and make the end result worth the work.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tiddles

It sure looks good. I have seen one picture of 4472 in this livery but running with only the first tender, therefore the number was only on the buffer beam, but perhaps making a more consistent and layout friendly sized loco.

Looking at my other A3s, the front face of the buffer beam is a separate moulding, so I am presuming this one is a new moulding with cow catcher etc which could possibly be removed/replaced to backdate it.

The observation car looks great and useable in this livery, as though it could be legitimately run on any number of excursion trains, not just in Devon!

I have just signed up to RMweb after finding this thread via a Google search. I have got the Hornby USA Scotsman but now want the Observation Car.

Was hoping to remove the cow catcher but don not think this can be done. So may fit a Kadee to the coach (if/when I get one) to make it more like the prototype.

• 7 months later...

This brings back some memories for me. I was third officer on the Saxonia,the ship that took 4472 from Liverpool to Boston. we carried the lighter parts & coaches under deck and also the red double decker bus. On arrival in Boston it was all unloaded to Boston Navy Yard where the cowcatcher was fitted. Before sailing many of us went round to see her on the tracks in the navy yard. Quite an emotive experience. Two of the train crew came with us on the Ocean Voyage.

The rest of the train (at Boston's South Station in 1969) from the front:

attachicon.gifFS 19.jpg

attachicon.gifFS 20.jpg

attachicon.gifFS 21.jpg

attachicon.gifFS 22.jpg

attachicon.gifFS 23.jpg

attachicon.gifFS 24.jpg

I missed a couple of the ex-LNER baggage cars.

At the same time this bus was on the station forecourt
attachicon.gifFS 2.jpg

and it attracted some IRA sympathizers
attachicon.gifFS 4.jpg

while at the station throat an ex New Haven RDC leaves
attachicon.gifFS 27.jpg

and a really beat up ex New York Central E9 arrives. This was about a year after the formation of the Penn Central which was still running equipment in its constituents' colours.
attachicon.gifFS 30.jpg

The rest of the train (at Boston's South Station in 1969) from the front:

attachicon.gifFS 19.jpg

attachicon.gifFS 20.jpg

attachicon.gifFS 21.jpg

attachicon.gifFS 22.jpg

attachicon.gifFS 23.jpg

attachicon.gifFS 24.jpg

I missed a couple of the ex-LNER baggage cars.

At the same time this bus was on the station forecourt
attachicon.gifFS 2.jpg

and it attracted some IRA sympathizers
attachicon.gifFS 4.jpg

while at the station throat an ex New Haven RDC leaves
attachicon.gifFS 27.jpg

and a really beat up ex New York Central E9 arrives. This was about a year after the formation of the Penn Central which was still running equipment in its constituents' colours.
attachicon.gifFS 30.jpg

Sorry Bruce, perhaps I was pre-empting there a tad! laugh.gif

Archived