Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

• 2 weeks later...

OK, a very busy week here on the layout and it is also now all packed up ready to go over to Yate for the Sodbury Vale Model Railway Club show tomorrow.

http://www.sodburyvalemrc.co.uk/_mgxroot/page_10800.html

I will try and get piccies tomorrow and then give a proper update of the changes to the layout but for now a quick list - 

A new loco built

I have replaced the permanent magnets with electromagnets - been planning to do this for ages so really pleased this is done.

I good out service session followed by a running session to try out using the electromagnets

Several little jobs on the stock to ensure better running.

The new batch of trees just about finished ready to install, these will be temporally added and blended in for tomorrow.

A bit of scenic tidying including finding my static grass fly swat thingy is knackered - great!!

Touching up the paint on the fascia

Writing a set of information sheets for the front of the layout

Anyway, am knackered so am going to chill out for a bit them get some kip.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 2

OK, a very busy week here on the layout and it is also now all packed up ready to go over to Yate for the Sodbury Vale Model Railway Club show tomorrow.

http://www.sodburyvalemrc.co.uk/_mgxroot/page_10800.html

I will try and get piccies tomorrow and then give a proper update of the changes to the layout but for now a quick list - 

A new loco built

I have replaced the permanent magnets with electromagnets - been planning to do this for ages so really pleased this is done.

I good out service session followed by a running session to try out using the electromagnets

Several little jobs on the stock to ensure better running.

The new batch of trees just about finished ready to install, these will be temporally added and blended in for tomorrow.

A bit of scenic tidying including finding my static grass fly swat thingy is knackered - great!!

Touching up the paint on the fascia

Writing a set of information sheets for the front of the layout

Anyway, am knackered so am going to chill out for a bit them get some kip.

Best wishes

Simon

Good luck for today, Simon. Looking forward to hearing how it went.

We had a great day yesterday though I need a little practice finding the magnets for uncoupling now as the electromagnets are smaller than the long Dapol permanent ones we had on there. I have some piccies on my phone which I will sort and post later. Am out for a while now to drop my son off at relatives for the week - peace and quiet wahay!! Now I wonder if they will take my wife as well...

heheh, bet you heard the slap from there!!

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 2

Piccies as promised - 

Firstly the trees, 

post-3347-0-48580400-1455493118.jpg

This one is coated and painted ready for foliage but I put it on the layout for yesterday and really have to admit that I quite like it as it is, a dead tree so am thinking that a little toning down and weathering etc will make it ideal.

post-3347-0-49027900-1455493121.jpg

The gnarly tree I made for the small area near the front looked ok but I decided that the branches were a bit too chunky, I used thicker wire when I made it, so I have made up a replacement using thinner wire (Cheers Russell!) and am happier with it this time. This has had a coating of slightly watered down PVA glue to hold it together so far. Will get a coat of PVA/plaster mix in the Gordon Gravett style next.

post-3347-0-94435600-1455493124.jpg

The new loco, now named 'Durin' as already included further back in the thread, has been in action for the first time now it has been completed. It proved to be a very useful addition to the fleet running really well all day with no issues. Not really a surprise as it is running on a Farish class 04 diesel shunter chassis.

post-3347-0-00934500-1455493115.jpg

This view unfortunately shows me running out of time with the installation of the electromagnets as you can easily see the places where the old Dapol permanent magnets were removed. I got time to fill the holes with ballast but no chance to blend the colour in to hide the change. The new clean ballast is VERY noticeable. 

post-3347-0-32007900-1455493130.jpg

Shockingly, I now have some ready to run wagons on the layout. Yeah  know, I can almost hear you all gasp in surprise. These were acquired recently, again thanks Russell for finding them! They are old Trix n gauge tipper wagons originally in a very garish red and green plastic finish but a repaint a weather has made them look much better I think anyway.

A few overall views taken yesterday during the show, I am much happier with the new trees compared to the ready to plant ones I used to have on the layout.

post-3347-0-59411900-1455493108.jpg

post-3347-0-55697000-1455493112.jpg

Here, 'Gandalf' and 'The Shire' double head a very important shipment of Dwarf gold on its way to the Blue Mountains.  

post-3347-0-82094800-1455493127.jpg

Finally, I managed to capture 'Frodo' running into the station at the head of possibly the most improtant train of the day - the beer special!!

Anyway, tis late and, unfortunately, I have to go back to work tomorrow after a loverly week off BOO HISS!!

We are out with Hobbiton End yet again this Saturday for anyone in the Shepton Mallet area for the South West Narrow Gauge Exhibition at Whiotstone School - 

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/12274-NarrowGaugeSouthWest

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 11

I have a date with the soldering iron this evening wiring up a set of 15 way connectors and a cable as an additional board to board/control panel connection for the extras recently installed - the electromagnets and the servo for the rabbit. I will add a piccie in a while to show the connector layout I use to make things simple and organised - something lacking in my wiring ability normally hehe.

Anyway got to go, fish and chips for tea!!

Best wishes

Simon

Having a little break halfway through packing the layout up again for our next show - SWNG - Small and Delightful Railway Group show in, sunny, hopefully, Shepton Mallet!

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/12274-NarrowGaugeSouthWest

As a specifically narrow gauge show, I am really looking forward to it, the selection of traders booked and the range of layouts looks like making it a not to miss show if you are in the area.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All packed up again for the next show, this time all the way over to Romsey, near Southampton for their 2 day show. Early start for Seb and I, he is not a happy chappy!!

Details here - 

http://www.rdrms.hampshire.org.uk/Exhib/Page001.html

A few changes/updates over the last week or so, will take piccies over the weekend at the show and add during the week - 

More scenic additions including some longer grass, the construction of a crane train and a few new wagon bodies - got them built then found I have run out of Peco 10' wagon chassis, aaarghh!!

Anyway, will ad more after the weekend

best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon,

I saw you late on Saturday at the Romsey show and just wanted to say again what a brilliant layout you've made, very creative and was looking good at the show.

Glad I've found it on here so I can have another look at the layout through the photos and seeing the building of it through the years.

I'll keep track on here on this and any future projects.

Cheers,

Andy

Cheers Andy, we really enjoyed the show - A very friendly bunch of guys, oh and great food!!!

I have some more piccies I will add this evening showing a few developments etc and our silly time towards the end of the show!

One of the things we found during the weekend was that when we are both operating, the area around the storage yard getes crowded and so I am going to fit a second controller socket at the far end of the layout as well as a small switch box I can plug in to operate the electro magnets. this way, at the shows where we have the space, we can have one of us each end and things will be easier, also the view of the magnet positions will be easier from there!

Best wishes

Simon

A few piccies to share, not great ones as I only had my phone with me to take them with but you get the idea.

post-3347-0-70196900-1457390007.jpg

All set up and ready to go, the information sheets at the front are new ones and will be laminated for future shows, should look better!

post-3347-0-52678900-1457390013.jpg

A not normally viewed angle from the end of the layout 

post-3347-0-42111400-1457390011.jpg

This is one of the areas that I have been working on recently and am really pleased with the way it has developed with the longer grass and flowers etc.

Silly time , we decided to forget the coaches and wagons and just play with the engines, tis ok, there were no public around by this time!

post-3347-0-75744800-1457390022.jpg

post-3347-0-83321600-1457390441.jpg

post-3347-0-52136600-1457390438.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

OK, such a long time since the last update but we have been going through a bad time here, losing my grandad at the age of 95, expected but still a horrible time. 

Anyway, we are out with Hobbiton end tomorrow down to my old stomping grounds, Plymouth!

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/11538-PlymouthandDistrictModelRailwayClub_Exhibition

Maybe see some of you there.

Hopefully, time and other events should allow a return to normality and some model making, who knows!

best wishes

Simon

By the way, piccie to follow but I have followed the idea from Black Sheep and have refinished the info sheets with a parchment effect background behind the text, am really pleased with them.

Fun show though a little lacking in visitors unfortunately!

A few problems arose today such as a troublesome point and a delaminating piece of copper clad causing one of the spoon contacts for the cassettes to fall off half way through the day, not helpful, oh and a third of our LEDS for the lighting stopped working. Likely to be a break in the LED strip. all in all a few things to sort this week to keep me away from the television.

We are out again next Saturday to Gloucester - 

http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/gloucester-model-railway-exhibition-2016/

Best wishes

Simon

no missed that accident, home very easily to be honest, piccies look good. delighted with quali though could have done with Rossie further back, looking forward to a good race today, fingers crossed for another awesome result!

Cool piccies there, am just sorting out a list of stuff to deal with ready for next Saturday.

by the way, here are the new info sheets printed onto a aged style background - 

post-3347-0-38403300-1465742623.jpg

Apologies for the poor piccie but I think it shows what I mean ok, opinions appreciated.

Best wishes

Simon 

• Like 3