Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

Another little delivery we have just had is this set of nameplates for the locomotives, specially done in a very cool font and with appropriate names

post-3347-0-43858900-1398628109.jpg

I am sure I will need to expand the list for some others at some point in time but these are a good start. I am thinking that they will require painting then gently sanding to leave the letters clean and am thinking about using a dark green background instead of the traditional red or black to make them different and to match in with the green on some of the locomotives already.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 7

the way i paint plates is with them still as a sheet

paint them the colour you want with out a primer ( spray/ hand paint) then leave for a 3 day to a week then rub the sheet with a track rubber till the razed parts of the plates have no paint on them then cut the plates free from the sheet

I visited Hobbiton a couple of weeks ago while visiting New Zealand and had a great time. Have lots of photos so let me know if you want to see any! Love the layout, especially the attention to small details to make it feel right!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been pondering, all thanks to Black Sheep, see message 312 (p13). He mentions that the straight water chute has limited character and I now totally agree so have built a new one, let me know what you think -

post-3347-0-37733700-1400564560.jpg

post-3347-0-93870500-1400564577.jpg

post-3347-0-24043200-1400564589.jpg

I also picked up this little boat at the Taunton show for a couple of quid, although 00 gauge allegedly, I think that with a bit of reworking, it will make a great wagon load. I am thinking that a pair of flat 4 wheel wagons each with a pivoted cradle to load it on would look great.

post-3347-0-90089000-1400564542.jpg

The plastic frame sat inside the main body of the boat is very chunky so will be removed and replaced with somet else, maybe a couple of simple planks for seats.

Anyway, better get ready for work - always gets in the way of model making!!

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have been pondering, all thanks to Black Sheep, see message 312 (p13). He mentions that the straight water chute has limited character and I now totally agree so have built a new one, let me know what you think -

attachicon.gifnew chute A (640x480).jpg

attachicon.gifnew chute b (640x480).jpg

attachicon.gifnew chute c (480x640).jpg

I also picked up this little boat at the Taunton show for a couple of quid, although 00 gauge allegedly, I think that with a bit of reworking, it will make a great wagon load. I am thinking that a pair of flat 4 wheel wagons each with a pivoted cradle to load it on would look great.

attachicon.gifboat unstarted(640x480).jpg

The plastic frame sat inside the main body of the boat is very chunky so will be removed and replaced with somet else, maybe a couple of simple planks for seats.

Anyway, better get ready for work - always gets in the way of model making!!

Best wishes

Simon

Brilliant, yes, that water chute looks just the job...!

The details are really making this layout come alive...

David

Looks great Simon. As a 'one day' project, you'll need a culvert or stream crossing the road to feed that chute.  It could easily have a spring coming from the bank above the road, though geologically speaking that would mean a very wet adjacent hobbit hole. Perhaps a little gully funneling runoff down the hill?

I agree, the water needs to be coming from somewhere. I am thinking that a small culvert to the right hand side of the rocky outcrop on the other side of the pathway above the chute would be the best place then model a sort of dam and small pond with some form of water flow control for the flow into the pipe and chute before is disappears under the path to the pipe. At least then it sugegsts the water is not flowing by the home.

Best wishes

Simon

Well now Mr Black Sheep, you strike again hehehe.

There is now a water course above the chute, now cut, modelled and painted.

post-3347-0-43174100-1400616723.jpg

Apologies, not a great piccie, taken quickly on my phone!

When it is dry I plan to add some wooden planked sides and at the front to suggest a holding pool and control equipment for the water supply to the water tank.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 2

If you've got a holding pool you may need somewhere for the surplus to go, it may be worth looking at options for an overflow from the tower to end up in a pond / watering vegetables being grown.

The water course from the spring/fountain to the chute could be recessed into the path, wooden boards lining a channel and the hobbits simply step over it, similar to those seen when out walking in the national parks to direct streams across footpaths instead of down them

Loads to keep me busy on this layout for quite a while but I have a few ideas for another fantasy layout based on the Discworld of Terry Pratchett. Other ideas include maybe basing a layout on the darker side of Middle Earth with orcs etc running trains in a very dark and dirty industrial environment rather than the green and clean Shire.

Best wishes

Simon

Simon 

I think the Hobbiton End is fantastic and I love the detail you have included.  I must say though that I do hope you do another layout based on the Discworld.  Especially as Terry Pratchett has kindly released a book introducing a railway to the Disc.  Not had chance to read it yet though :( 

Juan 

You're right there, Juan!  I'm looking forward to the paperback of Raising Steam which should be just right for my Christmas Stocking.

It would take some work to make anything as evocative as Hobbiton, though!

Raising Steam is a great book, you have my mega recommendation. What is really great about it is that the railway side of it has limited descriptions so the opportinuty to develop how it looks is very open!! It does sounds more standard gauge rather then narrow gauge though, mention in places of the corridors through coaches etc. If I did go towards that for a future layout, I think that the urban sprawl of Ankh Morpork would be ideal, imagine Chester but with dirt, dwarfs and trolls!!

This is how I would invisage it -

http://svenart.deviantart.com/art/Ankh-Morpork-14765357

A great image!!

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

Simon 

I must say though that I do hope you do another layout based on the Discworld.  Especially as Terry Pratchett has kindly released a book introducing a railway to the Disc.  Not had chance to read it yet though :( 

Juan

there is a Disc world model railway layout thats go's to shows called Angst Lesspork

http://hnorwood.co.uk/files/angst.htm

& will be it this years The Discworld Convention

http://www.dwcon.org/pages/56/angst-lesspork-model-railway

• Like 1