Couplings on a Mainline 5 Plank Wagon No. 37-130 -

Does anyone know if the couplings on the old Mainline 5-plank wagons, such as the LMS one shown below in the attached photo can be unscrewed and replaced with Bachmann 36-026 mini type couplings? They look as though they can be but would appreciate confirmation.

post-3292-0-98297800-1304797197_thumb.jpg

The Bachmann coupling should be a direct swap. They carried on using the Mainline design for quite a while before changing to a smaller design, which is closer to the original Airfix style(my favourite personally).

FYI the minline wagon in your picture has been fitted with a Hornby coupling, replacing the Mainline original.

Cheers.

Mark.

Hornby sell better metal wheels than the Bachmann ones generally (more round generally with less rejects). Worth changing them to avoid dirt on your track (plastic wheels are good at causing gunge on track) and it should be easy enough to get them out and new ones in.

You might find though in many cases with the Mainline wagons it'll only be slightly more expensive to buy a new Bachmann wagon than the wheels and couplings on their own..

You might find though in many cases with the Mainline wagons it'll only be slightly more expensive to buy a new Bachmann wagon than the wheels and couplings on their own..

Very true, but unfortunately there are no ready-to-run 5-plank wagons in LMS or GWR livery currently on the market otherwise I would much prefer to.

Or even buy the Bachy wagon and separate the chassis from the body. That can then be used to upgrade wheels, couplings and brakegear all in one go; you'll probably have to abandon whatever fixing points each has and use glue. Oh, and mate the two bits you have left and sell it on again cheaply ;)

Even though the Mainline chassis moulding is a heap less realistic than the current Bachmann, in one way it truly excels, and that is low rolling resistance. The polymer used is a little waxy, and the most free rolling wagons I have are on these chassis - they are all on metal tyred wheels, mostly from the old MGW range - and outroll everything else including the very best of the same type wheels running in brass pinpoint bearing cups in various kitbuilds. It's quite fun taking these wagons to other folks layouts and watch them roll away from rest on 'level' track.

I do intend 'one day' to carve off all the lumpen detail other than the axle boxes and replace, probably with cast whitemetal components, but for now they have to do as they are.

Archived