Roads A-C

St. Simon

Hi,

Right, almost there with Roads A-C!

I have spent the last couple of days finishing things oof, so that all I have got to do is lay the track and then assemble it all. This means that I've been doing a bit of woodwork.

The first piece of woodwork is the sidescene for the depot, this has a mirror on it to make the depot look larger. This was very kindly donated by Shortliner (thank you! :good: )

post-7271-0-48887500-1315223914.jpg

In the picture, the mirror looks like it's distorting everthing quite a lot, but in reality, the distortion is minimal and at most angles, it is very effective and just what I was after.

The main things have been 2 'tops', made form 3mm plywood, to go above the diorama so that it is enclosed. These will sit above the area of the diorama where the corrogated plastic of the depot stops and act as the roof of the depot as well as a base for the electrics and control panel (see post above)

post-7271-0-78999500-1315224523_thumb.jpg

On the underside of the plywood I've stuck on corrogated plastic to represent the roof of the depot with cut outs for the windows, they are painted black to show that it is night outside (this gets me around the problem of a backscene on the part of the outside of the depot and will give a nice effect

The dividers are just 1mm plastic cut into 5mm wide strips and painted black, the things sticking up from the roof (or down when it's turned upside down :huh: ) are strobe lights made from plastic rod and painted orange to represent the lights. The strobelights are activated by the Depot Supervisor turns a key in a control box by the door for A road. The lights then flash to show that a train is moving on the road, either entering it, or leaving it, a siren would sound as well to make workers aware that a train is moving. These may be replaced with working flashing lights are some point, but this'll probably not be before the deadline.

The gold strips you can see are yellow LED strip lights from Maplins to try and replicate the very yellow / orange 'Warley-type' lighting inside the depot. I was going to test them and show you, but when i tried I found that the 12v supply I was going to use (which is also used for my other layout Hythe Parkway). Here's the roof in place, excuse my hand, it won't be fitted until the track and everything inside the depot is finished

post-7271-0-49779300-1315224595.jpg

The last thing is a couple of details on the front of the Depot, these are CCTV cameras and lights:

post-7271-0-87627300-1315224622.jpg

The CCTV cameras are from Ten Commandments and the lights are scratch built from plastic sheet and strip.

Comments Welcome

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Simon!

I like the details on the front of the depot. The mirror is a good idea too, they can be very useful for micro layouts and dioramas for making the space look bigger and it looks as though it works here just fine. I can't wait to see what the depot will look like when it is all lit up!

Looking good Simon!

I like the details on the front of the depot. The mirror is a good idea too, they can be very useful for micro layouts and dioramas for making the space look bigger and it looks as though it works here just fine. I can't wait to see what the depot will look like when it is all lit up!

Hi Jam,

Thanks, yeah, the front looked better when I put them on, although looking at pictures, I've glued the grilles to far up the front, but oh well! I didn't really think about the mirror until I started building it actually.

I can't wait to see it light up as well, hopefully tomorrow evening as the replacement 12v supply arrived today, so I might hook it up tomorrow night. I'm hopeing the lights be yellow enough to get the atmosphere!

Although, I was hoping to take pictures of it using a brand new camera, but it's had be taken back for the secound time this morning, less than 24 hours after buying it. A better one won't arrive in the shop until late next week :(

Simon

Hmm, that must be annoying about your camera - at least it happened before the warranty ran out I guess, although that's probably no consolation!

Are you going to do any sort of weathering on the front of the shed at all?

Hi,

Well, we got our money back, and we still have the old camera, so it's alright, but.... :offtopic: (sorry, had to use that smiley!) :D

Not really because it reality the depot front it actually very very clean, well at least the dirt it collects doesn't show it's self when you look at it, or the dirt is the same colour as the front!

Simon

Hi,

Only a small update this evening on the work to Roads A-C:

After recieving a replacement 12v supply yesterday morning, it was fitted into the power box that will be used with Roads A-C and Hythe Parkway, so when I came home from school this afternoon (and after doing my homework before you say anything! :mail: ) I tested the depot roof lights:

post-7271-0-07256000-1315427084.jpg

Excuse my hand once again. It worked first time, although the switches are position the wrong way around, but it's nice to know all my wiring is correct.

The photo makes it look a little bit more yellow than it does in reality, but even so, they are the prefect colour and exactly how I remember them when I was working at the Depot. It really creates an atmosphere, but it'll look even better when the thing is finished and the rest of the lights are working!

Very very happy!

Comments welcome!

Simon

Very nice Simon! I like that a lot.

When you ignore the top of the photo and the baseboard it looks pretty atmospheric.

Can we have a shot looking in from the front of the depot (preferably in a dark room)?

Nice going,

Jam

Hi Jam,

Thanks! The top of the roof will be hidden when seen from that angle because the name board will be in front of it

I will try and do that for you soon. I'm hoping that the top that will go over the outside of the depot will make it dark enough to make it look like night when it's painted black. I hope to get everything I need to finish it either this weekend, or by the end of next week.

Unfortunatly, work is scaling back a lot because of very full weekends for the next month and obviously school and A-levels, meaning that I only have a evenings to finish it, and even so alot of those will be taken up with school work.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

It's all gone a bit quite on A-C, I have been concentrating on my exhibition layout, Hythe Parkway, which went to Reading at the Weekend

However, I realised on Monday that the deadline is only now 8 days away! So I thought I better do some more on it!

I took it up to the clubrooms of the HW&DMRS to do the ballasting on the outside of the Depot, however I c*cked it up when spraying on some water, so I had to leave it to dryout until Wednesday when I could get back up there. On Wednesday I managed to mostly complete the ballasting within an hour or so, I still had the ballasting inbetween the sleepers to glue, which I managed to do tonight:

post-7271-0-07112400-1316719196.jpg

I would like to thank Dave Fryer for the letting me use his grey ballast, I would of never had time to get to my nearest modelshop (now Alton) to get some grey Ballast before the deadline.

You can all see that I have done the small bit of hardstanding outside the depot, using cork and filler, painted with railmatch concrete colour.

Here's the inside of the Depot after the past couple of days work:

post-7271-0-28183900-1316719472.jpg

All that is different is the addition of Jamie, Sam and Dan working inside, shortly, Punce will be added by the door controls, which I have to make. They are Bachmann figures with their blue overalls painted orange.

There's now very little to do in terms of work, all I have to do is to wait for the ballast to dry and and then I will be able to screw the top on that area, then I will have to glue down the walkway and stores building, install the top for there and then wire up the lights and I'm done. That can all be done within a couple of days, however a family wedding means I'm I won't be able to do much until Monday.

Other news is that I have purchased a body kit of a Class 07, to fit on a Bachmann 03 chassis which I have, to convert into the Aylesbury Shunter, the differences between the 2 are so small that when painted in Chiltern Blue, it'll look the same.

Plus, if you want to see the Layout Close up, it'll be appearing as a static Diorama (or possibly more) at Wycrail '11 at John Hampden School in High Wycombe on the 5th November 2011. So come along and I'll be able to show you it and answer any questions you may have!

Comments Welcome!

Simon

Hi Guys,

I took Roads A-C up to my clubs clubrooms last night to finish off Roads A-C ready for a photoshoot to have photos to enter it on Saturday!

I have finished the layout, bar a couple of figures, but I couldn't test the lights and such until I got home. But When I connected it all up, it looked fantastic, partically when all the surrounding lights were off!

But There's going to be no photos until Saturday when you see it entered! So hold tight and be patient, you'll get to see the full effect soon!

Comments Welcome!

Simon

Archived