Croxley Rail Link Approved!

Good points from Gwiwir as always.

I can't see there being any market for a reopened curve at Wiggenhall Road. Both routes have good services to London and to the principal suburban centres of Harrow and Wembley, albeit serving different stations there, so linking them would only tap into much smaller passenger flows such as Bushey to Northwood.

A less unlikely prospect might be trains between Watford Junction and stations to Amersham. The curve at Moor Park is still operational and a link to the centre of Watford should attract some commuters and shoppers. Whether it's enough to justify a through service to avoid changing at Moor Park is another question.

name='Edwin_m' timestamp='1322557876' post='543863']

I can't see there being any market for a reopened curve at Wiggenhall Road. Both routes have good services to London and to the principal suburban centres of Harrow and Wembley, albeit serving different stations there, so linking them would only tap into much smaller passenger flows such as Bushey to Northwood.

I agree that at present the case for re-instating this link between the former Colne – Croxley Green Junctions does not stand up. This link closed in 1966 and was principally used for empty stock workings from the London direction to and from the Croxley Green Depot. There were also a small number of direct workings to and from Broad Street however these were really empty stock workings to and from the Broad Street – Richmond line that carried passengers!

As an aside the triangle of lines former from Watford High Street, Colne and Croxley Green Junctions was used to turn steam engines on football specials from the Southern to Wembley. I have had it on good authority from more than one source that 3 Bullied Pacific’s coupled together ran from Wembley to Watford Junction and were then turned on the Croxley Triangle in the sometime late 50’s /early 60’s? – I wonder if any photos exist of this event?

Looking to the future there may be a good case for re-installing the Colne – Croxley Green Jctn link given that the railways north of Aylesbury are set to expand. This line could form a part of a diversionary route for the WCML and open up other opportunities for cross county freight routes. I appreciate that a lot of investment would be required and a new junction would be required at Bushey to link the WCML mainline to the DC lines. This would need to be grade separation type junction in order that the mainline service is not negatively impacted so most likely not financially viable or practical.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Archived