My Cup of T: A whole preserved line?

Will J

I like the sound of this challenge, as I had been pondering a very simple, small T gauge layout but had been unsure of just how small. The 20x11" rule cuts out all that counterproductive thinking and gives me a nudge to get on with it.

But there is yet more thinking to come. As yet I am undecided on how to fill the space. Standard gauge T, or 2' gauge modelled to somewhere around Z scale? Whatever happens it will use some form of rapid prototyping to populate the layout with stock (pending the success of my N gauge attempts being printed at the moment).

But, to start off with, I guess a few people have wondered just how much 'T' fits into the space envelope. Allow me to demonstrate in an entirely unscientific fashion. Here is a set of standard T gauge stuff (the tightest radius of 'set-track') sat in a 20x11" patch. The mountains and tunnel, for now, come courtesy of the fruit bowl.

post-1601-0-05052500-1306445749_thumb.jpg

Whatever happens I may well use the sectional track semi circles at either end, as they are a useful radius, joined by some more flowing flexible track. Now I just need to fathom out something to model!

Thinking a little more (PS.. thank you to whoever removed the duplicate thread I created for some reason!) I am wondering about doing something a little different from the norm.

T gauge layouts tend to be continuous run tail chasers, much like my fruit bowl sketch shown above. One reason for this is that T gauge stock tends to prefer zooming around at a scale 50mph+ than any sort of carefully controlled stopping and starting, however as others have mentioned, the application of either a) money or b ) a soldering iron can create a control device capable of much finer slow speed control.

With this in mind (and remembering that if all else fails, squeaky clean track can lead to slow-ish running with the standard battery controller), my proposal is:

-A small preserved railway, with a terminus at one end and a temporary terminus at the other (with maybe a cameo scene of the track being extended) arranged in a horseshoe shape on the board. This would provide the mini spectacle of an entire self contained railway, going from some place to some place else, on the 20x11" board.

-British outline steam, though as T has its limitations in terms of pointwork and more importantly, coupling, this will probably take the form of a tank engine and autocoach!

The only question is where to locate it... most likely Cornwall ;)

Part 1: In which Will describes the 'concept' :pleasantry: then promises that things can only get more interesting from here!

Right, things are coming together, I think. I am determined to do something a little different with the whole T gauge thing. As yet, many T gauge layouts tend to be oval affairs with trains zooming around at a rate of knots. I want to see if something more sedate and branchline-ish can be created. I also want to see what can be done with the traditional T gauge starter set, an oval of sectional track, to make it into more of a model railway.

Stage one, take one 20" x 11" chunk of insulation foam....

post-1601-0-96309800-1306789903_thumb.jpg

Variously attack with a breadknife to suggest the beginnings of a road and some scenery....

post-1601-0-76795900-1306790174_thumb.jpg

post-1601-0-09815900-1306790255_thumb.jpg

As for the eventual model, I want to create an end to end layout, with the impression of going from somewhere to somewhere else.

Complications include:

T gauge pointwork, to be honest, through experimentation, they are not especially useful. OK as a point where a train approaches them at speed (especially a long train with lots of electrical pickups!)and can be crossed with sheer momentum! For a little country station, with locomotives running around trains, they will just not work. The answer seems to be to model a very simple railway, end to end with no points. The line will be an embryonic preserved railway, set in the present day, with very simple operations using a scratchbuilt 'bubble car' or similar. I will include some pointwork at one end, but this will be purely 'scenic'!

Here is a rough idea.. a built up area in the middle, with trees, will visually seperate the two stations. Location wise, I am going to base it vaguely on the line through the Wyre Forest, now a footpath.. with station architecture based on remains along the line.

post-1601-0-80930000-1306790633_thumb.jpg

The preserved line idea will hopefully explain a railway going from nowhere, to pretty much nowhere, through some pretty forest scenery! It will be a simple affair, but will try to squeeze a railway (though a tiny one) in its entirety, into the small space!

More updates soon :yes:

if it's any help for 'hiding extra stock' Lakeside and Haverswaite use the tunnel at the haverswaite end to store some of their coaching stock, simple to add to your layout, a point just before the tunnel (station used to be two lines and this is part of the crossover) and a tunnel mouth to give the impression of it's existence.

your actual train never need try and cross the point and nothing ever need come out of the tunnel (it's physically a scenic break really)

the only difference i can think of between cornwall and haverswaite is there is no actual tunnel mouth at haverswaite, it's just a hole cut out of the slate that forms the lake district - not sure what ground is in cornwall, but i'm sure you'll be able to model a tunnel mouth that looks right.

Thank you Mr. Sheep, that might well be a useful way to finish the 'main' station end.

Oh, and I forgot to mention.. I still have ideas to make an epic T gauge layout set in Cornwall, but this will be a much bigger affair using gently curving 'T flex' track and a flotilla of model boats.

However, for the challenge 20x11 layout I will be sticking closer to home, based on the Bewdley-Tenbury line through the Wyre Forest which will let me research the scenery by bike, so it will be set in the midlands.

• 3 weeks later...

A while since I last posted, but in small ways, progress is happening. Scenery wise, the foam is being given a tough shell of bandage and PVA glue, ready for the addition of a rocky, earthy layer of 'stuff' which will be concocted from sand, thick acrylic paint and grit, to give a base for varying degrees of foliage, dense forestry and other scenic fluff. There will be a fair covering of trees, which will help visually break up what is otherwise a very 'train-set-shaped' er... train set ;)

Scenically, the road has been hollowed out a little and has gained an overbridge, which needs a short length of straight track procuring, which will make the curve around the end of the layout that little bit less like a hairpin bend!

post-1601-0-15521600-1308602262_thumb.jpg

post-1601-0-44745900-1308602291_thumb.jpg

You will note the solitary little railcar trundling around the top, this at the moment is a standard T gauge '19m' chassis, I have just had word from UPS that a Shapeways printed body to my design in on the way in fined Frosted Ultra Detail. It will soon begin to resemble that 'bubble car' I have been promising... the question is, what colour to paint it? I fear a nice subtle green one might appear lost among the trees, maybe blue & grey might stand out a little better!

(for those who havent seen a T gauge carriage yet, imagine an inch and a half chopped off a standard chopstick, painted in the livery of your choice)

(for those who havent seen a T gauge carriage yet, imagine an inch and a half chopped off a standard chopstick, painted in the livery of your choice)

Hi Will -

The photo is nearly life-size then!:yahoo: (BTW been following the new '3D printing' group with interest..)

Regs

Ian

Archived