Choice of ballast for Hampshire lines

Guest jonte

Guest jonte

Hi

I was wondering (prior to commencement of track laying) which manufacturer produces modelling ballast most representative of that found on rural Hampshire byways such as the S&DJR/ Castleman's/Meon Valley? Perhaps it should be a mixture, if so, which and in what proportions? What about ash collected from the barbecue and suitably sieved and weathered?

Any advice gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Jonte

Good old Dartmoor granite from Meldon, or in the case of the S&DJR line after about 1958 when the WR took over responsibility, it was the inferior stuff from the Mendips.You can get a good granite representative from most good model railway scenics outlets, such as Nick of Modellers Mate, packs come in 2Kg bags. Don't use the bbq stuff, that's better for ash pathways (cinderpath) or cess's. If your modelling 4mm, use extra fine or granite chips smaller than 1mm, most commercially available stuff marked up as for 00 gauge is too big.

Guest jonte

Good old Dartmoor granite from Meldon, or in the case of the S&DJR line after about 1958 when the WR took over responsibility, it was the inferior stuff from the Mendips.You can get a good granite representative from most good model railway scenics outlets, such as Nick of Modellers Mate, packs come in 2Kg bags. Don't use the bbq stuff, that's better for ash pathways (cinderpath) or cess's. If your modelling 4mm, use extra fine or granite chips smaller than 1mm, most commercially available stuff marked up as for 00 gauge is too big.

Ah, yes. There's something about Meldon in my 'LSWR Now and then' book by Mac Pyrke(?). Many thanks, sir, for the pointer.

Best wishes,

Jonte

Hi All,

My current layout that I am presently building is based on a portion of the Meon Valley line. While the ballast used most likely came from Meldon Quarry, what colour is this granite ballast? I am thinking light grey, but having never been to Meldon Quarry, I can only go from memory having walked along the Meon Valley line many times in the early 1960's when the track was still down.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi All,

My current layout that I am presently building is based on a portion of the Meon Valley line. While the ballast used most likely came from Meldon Quarry, what colour is this granite ballast? I am thinking light grey, but having never been to Meldon Quarry, I can only go from memory having walked along the Meon Valley line many times in the early 1960's when the track was still down.

Thanks,

Chris

Indeed very light grey to start with but it weathers down quickly to light brown, going even darker over time. Always refer to photos.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

So Meldon ballast is light grey and always has been I presume? I have looked at some colour pics (with 33s doing the honours)

post-2326-0-11134300-1436882539.jpg

and the ballast does look nice and 'light'. Has anyone replicated this with 'weathering/painting' rather than using actual RTR ballast and if so, what colour(s) did you use? I have been experimenting but any help gratefully received. It is so long since I went down there and so my minds eye of the colour is rather faded!

Phil

Would folk think this ballast is about right?

Colour isn't at all bad so far as I can see, but Meldon ballast loaded into wagons tended to keep its loading peak. See the photo of a train a few posts back and you will see what I mean.

Archived