Lady Victoria Colliery

shed64a

• 3 weeks later...

That's a lovely shot, Bruce.

a) there aren't so many photos of the great flood diversions on Waverley metals and

b ) it appears even at his early date that of the three tracks leading from the main line/ headshunt into the colliery sidings, only the middle road has the polish of frequent use, the outer tracks both have dulled rail heads.

Another gem Bruce..... That is the first shot I have seen of an all Pullman consist (bar the teak Gresley full brake at the front) on Waverley metals - possibly the up 'Queen of Scots'? The colouring of the streak looks to light to be green, yet she appears to be wearing BR lining, so guess she is painted Express blue.

Operationally wise, the down line connection into the colliery looks to be very little used.... did trains leaving Lady Vic head south before reversing to head back up to Edinburgh or was there a connection at the northern end of the colliery?

• RMweb Gold

The exchange sidings are behind the photographer on the south side of bridge 20.

The Up and down main line connections on the north as seen here are (L-R) Down line, up line and to the exchange which runs through the second arch of the bridge independent of the main.

A further ladder connection existed on the south side and was more commonly used as best I know.

I assume the down connection was for arriving coal from Arniston etc for washing and screening but that would be a guess.

Certainly Arniston was still on the go at this date and as mentioned the connection looks lightly used.

It would be interesting to find out more about the workings to and from the site.

Mac.

Thanks for that Iain, I will find a map tonight to get my bearings I think!

Chris

Bro, there are perfect maps at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Now you'd never pass for my grandmother, but I'll still give you a pointer into sucking this particular egg:

Use 'Newtonloan' as your target, that will centre your map results pretty well on the A7 crossroads that adjoin the siding complex. The co-ordinates I ended up at for my centre were 333425, 663133.

If you manually adjust your 'y' co-ordinate to 663500, that will bring the pit itself into the frame. Add 250 a time to the Y and refresh to scan northwards and view the siding complex on the down side as well.

Your top choices are "1953-1958 Post-WWII" and "1968 Post-WWII," both of which are scaled at 1:2500 and on which you can make out individual tracks.

• RMweb Gold

The two shunt ahead signals for the reception sidings are alongside the Gresley brake in the photo.

A Clayton leaving with a raft of minerals from the reception is shown bottom right of page 29 in David Crosses book the last years of The Waverley Route. A caption he has got correct.

A series of photos are shown from page 28-31.

Slightly further on but still on topic, top of page 33 with the D49 shows the reception in the background for Arniston Engine.

I mean seriously, just ignore the caption. Its actually left Gorebridge, crossed the A7 at Shank Bridge and entering what is now Goreglen park but it shows the proximity of Arniston to the main line.

Bottom of the same page is further towards Lady Vic but still in Goreglen, not leaving Gorebridge.

The bridge shown is the now infilled bridge 23 for Kirkhill Manor and Lady Vic's down distant stands to the left.

You should be able to follow these on the maps the man Chard recommends (which I too am off to look out now).

I'm in the process of preparing 1/4 mile maps at 1:762 but it'll be a while before I get that far.

Happy hunting,

Mac.

• RMweb Gold

Correct.

When re signalling took place and Newtongrange box closed, Lady Vic took over on a power signalling system.

I say that but it is entirely based on assumption.

I have Hardengreens signalling diagrams through a period of time and no reference is made to extension south where as it is to the north and Glenesk.

At the end of the up platform had been a pair of Banners for diverging road (in this case across the down main) and main line roads.

If you go back to the Lady Vic box pic (Chards post #56 above), you can quite clearly see the extension to the structure at the north (right hand) end in the tiles and brick work.

I could not vouch for a date for this modification though.

Mac.

Edit. Photo top of page 20 of the Waverley Route Through Time by Roy G Perkins and some other mug called Iain Macintosh.

Ring any bells? Na, me neither...........

During my research for my layout project I bought copies of the colliery plans including the sidings, I would take a picture and post them here but am not sure how I would stand copyright wise. They are over two sheets and measure about 3.5m in length, thats before i even try to upscale them to N!

If someone can advise on the copyright, I can post when I am back from work on the 19th. It should help with how everything fits into the mainline. The only thing the isn't shown is the stocking yard at Butlerfield.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Even when working away from home I have at last managed to find time to restart my layout.  Here is the start of the headframe.

post-8341-0-81527200-1359902612_thumb.jpg

post-8341-0-94643300-1359902605_thumb.jpg

Run out of materials.  Don't look to closely as it isn't quite as good as I'd like.  Slight adjustments need to be made.

Can't do any more until model shop opens on Monday!!

Next problem is how to get it home on a plane!

• 2 weeks later...

Headframe transported home safely and I thought I see how far I'd got before I stopped. The brown card is just for contrast.

post-8341-0-77611000-1360786273_thumb.jpg

post-8341-0-56899500-1360786270_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll find inspiration for the winding wheels at Model Rail Scotland at the weekend.

• 1 month later...

Very interested in your clayton project. I always always wanted one but never ever felt the resin one, that's was offered by somebody (cant even remember now) was up to all that much plus if I recall correctly it also required a very rare Japanese chassis.

Very interested in your clayton project. I always always wanted one but never ever felt the resin one, that's was offered by somebody (cant even remember now) was up to all that much plus if I recall correctly it also required a very rare Japanese chassis.

Hi MHB

The resin Clayton is by Parkwood Models. It requires a Micro-Ace or Tomix chassis both as rare as the proverbial Rocking Horse "doo doo". I have made one which I put on a rather crude scratch built "dummy" chassis working on the basis that they frequently failed and had to be "dragged" by a rescuing locomotive. 

Pic below: -post-4469-0-64625800-1364155641_thumb.jpgpost-4469-0-22963400-1364155585_thumb.jpg

The Judith Edge kit shown in this thread looks to be something in an altogether different league and this one looks to be coming together superbly. Given the limitations of room in the body I am curious to know how it will be powered.

Regards

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to see Lady Vic getting a namecheck in the Thatcher's passing coverage.  This is from Herald Scotland:

In Midlothian, former miner Frederick Mabon was in front of his TV when the early afternoon news announced the death. ...

Mr Mabon's 42-year mining career had ended in the 1980s when the Lady Victoria Colliery at Newtongrange closed.  He never found employment again and now, aged 85, lives alone in a red-brick house built by the coal industry.

He said: "At the time everyone had a grudge against her.  When she closed the pits it was devastating.  I couldn't get a job, but that was the system. The young ones got the money and the old ones got nothing really.  I wouldn't say I was glad she died, but that is an era finished.  I usually have a drink in the evening anyway, but tonight I'll wish her the best of luck."

I've left the entire quote complete for balance, as it's not my intention to start any political debate here.  It's socio-economically pithy though, that this area had a double-whammy barely ten years apart with the railway and then the pit closing. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived