Outwell Village

alan

Outwell Village which many will know is an intermediate depot on the Wisbech & Upwell Tramway. The time frame spans some twenty + years and is vaguely post second world war. This does allows us to run both LNER and British Railways stock, both steam and diesel trams.

The layout built as a joint venture by Neil Rushby (of this parish) and myself but now in my charge as been well received at exhibitions, with many people recognising the area it depicts. This does tell us that we have got things about right.

post-7379-12596989795613_thumb.jpg

post-7379-12596989054978_thumb.jpg

post-7379-12596992976513_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello chaps, yes it was Outwell in the Modeller but in BR diesel guise. Alan has been rather modest in his original post skirting around the fact that he took a rather basic layout that we built jointly and polished it into the gem it is now on his own.

Edited by Neil

Totally with you here Neil! I remember this layout on the printed page and was very impressed! Personally and like many others I'm a real sucker for the bucolic, industrial, knackered rails, almost forgotten and water ....... maybe I can get my camera near it some time B)

Outwell Village which many will know is an intermediate depot on the Wisbech & Upwell Tramway. The time frame spans some twenty + years and is vaguely post second world war. This does allows us to run both LNER and British Railways stock, both steam and diesel trams.

The layout built as a joint venture by Neil Rushby (of this parish) and myself but now in my charge as been well received at exhibitions, with many people recognising the area it depicts. This does tell us that we have got things about right.

It's an excellent layout Alan and from my brief exploration of the tramway's route it does capture the feel of the area really well. Probably a dumb question but what scale/gauge is it?- I'm sure I've seen the layout but can't remember where.

David

It's an excellent layout Alan and from my brief exploration of the tramway's route it does capture the feel of the area really well. Probably a dumb question but what scale/gauge is it?- I'm sure I've seen the layout but can't remember where.

David

Hi David,

The layout is "OO" built to finescale standards.

It has been to a few shows, Bradford, Southend on sea, Mansfield, Shepshed, Thirsk and at the first RMweb open day.

It is available for shows, so any exhibition managers out there who may be interested please PM me.

As requested a couple more photo's of Outwell, (note to myself must take more photo's)

post-7379-12615889246297_thumb.jpg

A persons eye view looking down the depot

post-7379-12615892493619_thumb.jpg

The corner of the layout at the Wisbech end, (which is not visable on the shot above.)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I'd like to do this in O gauge - I have the tram and the 04 diesel and some unmade coaches somewhere the only thing missing is the time! Need to get my Black Notley layout finished first.

Great work this well done

Paul R

Thanks for the very kind words chaps, and thank you Mozzer for posting some more pictures. I will post some more when I next set the layout up. There have been a few buildings added since Mozzer took his shots as can be seen from the ones I posted earlier in the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I live just a spit away from all this! In fact only this morning I went over that road bridge in my daughter's car to get to Upwell Post Office to do some photocopying!

I've lived in this area for years. In fact the excellent health centre where they look after me so well is built on the old terminus!

I've just made a master for the 0-4-0 tram loco in 2mm scale for N-Drive, so you could make all this half the size<g>

I once bought a last minute Christmas present in that corner shop, which is now, alas just a house.

I have something planned for 7mm scale for the same sort of area only further up river. Tony Moss's little country garage, so long a part of the scene just a bit further down is the picture on my avatar (albeit a bit squashed by the forum software!). I plan a small layout with a fictional extension of the W&U down past the garage, incorporating his famous "Shack" cafe, beloved of the local racers and bike boys in the late 60s. I have all Tony's old photos to make sure it's a good model.

I'd love to be involved in any way if I may be of use, please PM me.

The little office in the yard is still there and is actually up for sale! Next to it is the Post Office and next to that St. Clements church which would make a nice backdrop to that end of the layout. That bend in the canal/river (Well Creek) is one of the tightest on the system and requires a full length boat to be helped round on straps.

In the back garden of one of the cottages shown at the Wisbech end you can still see the sluice mechanisms for the lock that begun the long filled in Wisbech Canal. In the seventies the Well Creek itself was so packed with weed and rubbish that it was possible to walk across it!

I can remember in relatively recent years a fair amount of the W&U trackwork still being visible, nearer Wisbech.

The Emneth "bypass" runs on a fair bit of what was the goods yard. W. Awdry was Rector of Emneth and the local model railway club meet in his old house.

• Like 1

As yet another (near) local I have to agree - superb layout. As with the last post, I also feel the church just has to be there though, this is not intended as a critism btw! It would really set the scene if it was on the backscene, complete with Teddy Boston and the Rev.Awdrey of course!

Boy I really like this layout, the canal is a really cool feature. How big is it?

Dave

Do you mean the canal or the layout Dave.

I assume you mean the layout, scenic section is 8 ft the whole layout is 16 ft.

Do you still use the canal bridge line then- I was looking at the weeded up flangeways in the level crossing thinking nice touch.....

- If you dont mind me asking is the train on the frontline 'posed' ? - Not that it detracts in anyway was just interested in how it was operated ?

Russ, all the tracks are used apart from the line which runs along the side of the canal, this fell into disuse when coal was moved by road rather than by the canal. This photo may give you an idea of the track plan.

post-7379-126722250935_thumb.jpg

• Like 3