Pinpoint wagon axles- OO Gauge

If they used 2mm dia axles you should be able to swap them over. Alan Gibson may do 26mm pinpoint axles on their own, you certainly get a couple of axles with things like tender wheels which could be pin point or inside bearing. Possibly a wanted post asking if people have them spare or some of those old plastic wheels with a metal axle you can use the axles from?

The axles come in two sizes later ones (usually with a yellow bush) are 2 mm and the earlier ones are slightly less (15 s.w.g. I believe). The axles are around 27mm long and fit wonderful wagons (with the brass bearings) and early cast kits (K's and Wills).

I have turned pinpoints on the axles (you really need a lathe, but a power drill can be used with care. The angle should be 60 degrees , but is not unduly critical, as long as it's less than this. What is important is the 26mm overall length and a sharp point. You will need to remove the wheels from the axle first of course. I found this http://www.clag.org....-interface.html

Ultrascale list separate axles, whereas Gibson* do not. They may be able to supply however, as may Markits*.

* At least I couldn't find any in their lists.

Most plastic wheels sit on a larger diameter axle than 2mm. I think some Tri-ang/Hornby are 2mm, but are shouldered where it matters (intended to make back to back setting easy in the factory).

These wheelsets were originally made by Jackson, then the range was taken over by Romford. They are useful for re-wheeling Hornby-Dublo 3-rail vehicles - the ones where the axle bearing is just an elongated hole in a steel strip attached inside the cast W-iron. For other kinds of vehicles, pin-point axles are pretty essential. (Those old white-metal kits with plain bearings made good bookends or stop blocks - but when you tried to run the vehicles, well .. I had a K's brake van which was a perfect representation of a Toad with the brakes screwed down hard!)

I've tried turning pin-points on the end but my lathe skills are not up to it. If the point comes out not exactly on the center line of the axle, the wheels are doomed to wobble. Doing it freehand with a drill and a file would be even more difficult. I'm sure.

I have had success replacing the Jackson axles with the 2mm ones from Ultrascale. I think I had to open up the holes in the wheel bushes very slightly. I remember that lubricating the axles with water was helpful while pushing them in. Some of the wheel bushes broke before I got it right.

I like the profile on these wheels. They seem to roll more easily on the track than the current Hornby and Bachmann products.

These wheelsets were originally made by Jackson, then the range was taken over by Romford. They are useful for re-wheeling Hornby-Dublo 3-rail vehicles - the ones where the axle bearing is just an elongated hole in a steel strip attached inside the cast W-iron. For other kinds of vehicles, pin-point axles are pretty essential. (Those old white-metal kits with plain bearings made good bookends or stop blocks - but when you tried to run the vehicles, well .. I had a K's brake van which was a perfect representation of a Toad with the brakes screwed down hard!)

I've tried turning pin-points on the end but my lathe skills are not up to it. If the point comes out not exactly on the center line of the axle, the wheels are doomed to wobble. Doing it freehand with a drill and a file would be even more difficult. I'm sure.

I have had success replacing the Jackson axles with the 2mm ones from Ultrascale. I think I had to open up the holes in the wheel bushes very slightly. I remember that lubricating the axles with water was helpful while pushing them in. Some of the wheel bushes broke before I got it right.

I like the profile on these wheels. They seem to roll more easily on the track than the current Hornby and Bachmann products.

I think I may have got these originally for re-wheeling Hornby-Dublo wagons. Thanks for all the comments- I drifted a few wheels off their axles last night, and only lost two bushes; next step, new axles. I might have tried turning the axle-ends in my younger days, as I used to try things like that with Tri-ang diesel wheel sets.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

I think I may have got these originally for re-wheeling Hornby-Dublo wagons. Thanks for all the comments- I drifted a few wheels off their axles last night, and only lost two bushes; next step, new axles. I might have tried turning the axle-ends in my younger days, as I used to try things like that with Tri-ang diesel wheel sets.

Brian

The EMGS sell axles only to members for 1.5 pounds for 10, so perhaps it is easier to source them from there or elsewhere?

Kevin Martin

Worth attempting to put pinpoints on, even with a power drill, or even better a Dremel or similar high speed rotary tool. An angled rest onto a very fine old oilstone to shape, and then polish the pinpoint on a piece of stainless for best results. The tyre profile is indeed a good one, they seem very track kindly.

MGW used the same profile on a very good pinpoint axle, and I snap up s/h even the worst made up examples of 3H kits primarily for these wheels if still fitted. Probably shouldn't have mentioned that as now there will be competition...

Archived