This might be a good small(ish) space switching layout...

shortliner

Jack,

Do you think it would be even more interesting if the fiddle yard was off to the left (after the bridge) and then have the line after Nabisco sceniced???? i.e. swapped around. I realize it may not be like that on the prototype, however.

Best, Pete.

Just to add some rationale. I like trains running though an urban "tunnel" but they are difficult to see when operating, so I would also convert one or two buildings on the right hand side to a "team track" (or transload area).

Best, Pete.

Thanks - I drew it following the original as I wanted to see if it would actually operate properly in XTrkcad - It does, and is capable of a fairly lengthy session of moving traffic around in a reasonably prototypical manner. Unfortunately some trackplans look good on paper, but when you come to operate them it is another story....!

Third look.

I am suitably tickled by one of the company names!

I like the scenic break down the middle - sensible, some sessions could just be the right hand side of the layout using the yard as more staging/fiddle.

The far right hand company could well be (sorry, to bring it up again) a Tate & Lyle type corn syrup facility (they are usually fenced off too) with several different graded syrup offloads; would be interesting getting the right tank cars into the right place.

Best, Pete.

Yes - did you ever see the Art Curren double sided peninsula in MR where the buildings match eacjh other, but have different frontages, and the tracks weave backwards and forwards through the buildings? - that converts very well from a peninsula to what is effectively a roundy-roundy with good switching capabilities

Hopefully this linky will take you to it without needing to be a member. The 1kb files are descriptive - the 80-odd kb files should be trackplans

http://groups.yahoo....tliner%20Stuff/

Pete it is in Small Layout Design Files 2 http://groups.yahoo....roup/sldfiles2/ in Files under (More Shortliner Stuff

The title says it all! )

Including the original group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/small-layout-design/ there are four groups - due to filespace restrictions at the time - these are the others

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sldfiles

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sldfiles2

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLDFiles3

You will probably have to join each group individually to see them but these were PURELY for file storage - I have multiple trackplans in the files section in each group

I like your version of the Pike City Belt Line also, Jack. Many years ago I was tasked at MR with putting together an A4-size collection of small trackplans for either an MRP or GMR supplement. If I recall, the Pike City trackplan (don't recall which issue of MR it originally appeared in) made my cut.

Edit: September 1998 was when that plan appeared in MR. Here's a link to the original plan:http://mrr.trains.co...-belt-line.ashx

The abandoned interlocking tower was one thing I would have deleted from the plan. No real need to put an interlocker at all there when operating rules could protect movement across the diamond.

I'd make the industries bigger as well, e.i., combining the frozen foods, auto parts and newspaper structures into one larger industry with several car spots. And the beverage warehouse could become a team track while at the same time eliminating or reducing that pesky S-curve.

Thanks, Guys - glad you like them - there are loads more small layout ideas in those files for anyone who is looking for ideas, one of my personal favorites is Claremont and Concord which is in Shortliners Folder on the main group - there is an XTrkCad runable file in there too. As drawn it uses Setrack turnouts. It is a U-shape 48" x 54" reduced in size from MRs G scale version - It would be about 30" x 36" in N gauge using the N scale Atlas 44 tonner and 40' cars. Street running and switching in a small space with several alternative extension points.

post-6688-0-72133300-1326016300_thumb.jpg

Pike City Belt Line... 12ft x 8ft....

Jack, this is a new definition of the phrase "Small Space Switching layout" I was previously unaware of.... especially from you!!!! :D

Northpoint actually built this layout (modified a bit, especially "Alliance") - several of us had quite an Operating Session on it. :)

I hope he doesn't mind me saying, though, that we did find that despite it being a large plan, we tended to end up still switching small trains... i.e. just one or two cars at a time....

Unfortunately some trackplans look good on paper, but when you come to operate them it is another story....!

... what you said!!

One thing where you can save room is the engine shed. For a modern urban layout, an engine shed would be fairly rare. All you really need is a "tie up" track to set the engines on when not using them. If the layout only has one engine then you don't even need that, you can just park the engine on a lead or siding. Then once or twice a week (every couple operating sessions) you swap it out for a fully fueled, sanded, serviced engine.

I'm still umming and aahing! I'd probably lose the little stubby bit to the left (and the diamond). Turn it into a true L Shape. May even lose the scenic divide and cut industries (but make say two bigger) in Oakton. The fenced in part at Alliance turn into corn syrup facility and the Upstate Beverages into a team track. Call the whole thing Dover and set it in California (north of Oakland) as a Santa Fe!!!

Use the extra room to stretch it out a bit.....

Hows that for a start?

Best, Pete.

Sounds good, Pete - I only ever do trackplans as a basic suggestion in the hope that they will spark off ideas in others. I'd never expect anyone to follow one of them slavishly, although I know of at least a dozen instances of Box Street (oddly because the scenic treatment is so completely different, you could have them all in the same room, and the average person might take a while to pick up on the fact that they are all the same trackplan) and a couple of layouts that use Ness Street as the trackplan, including a very nice one on Big Blue. I frequently look at someone elses plan and get smacked round the back of the head with a "wotif?", so go right ahead and build it the way it suits you.

I would lose the loco shed and make it a team track,flip the crossover in front of eagle newspaper extend eagle newspaper to cover the spur.

Make the frozen foods and auto parts a bit deeper terminate the spur that goes in to eagle newspaper,move pike furniture to were the road goes of to the left and put a switch of the corner to feed the spur, then the road would go were pikes furniture was, that would also save you a switch.

Ray

Archived