Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at Burton on Trent, by RBE (Cav) - he's using his own standard, which he calls N2, which seems to equate to something like N-SF

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100029-burton-on-trent-in-n2/&do=findComment&comment=1916132

Yes Cav's standards would work. Using modern, low profile N wheels the standards can be tightened up quite a lot

There's fs160 if it is continental modelling you are interested in.

fs160 isnt really suitable if you dont want to change/re profile the wheels. Its essentially 2FS standards with the gauge reduced to 9mm

Jerry

I'm building a model using 2mm assn code 40/copperclads and running French N scale stock. Standards similar to Cav's. Can be done if you're careful about flange depth. See my blog (link in footer)

Regards

Ian

Lovely stuff Jerry.

A question.....! Has an 'N' version of 00-SF, l guess N-SF ever been tried?

The reason for the question is that l'm looking for a finer 'N' 9mm 1:160 scale track with finer looking crossings that could take the modern later and finer continental stock without having to wheel change. When l was a member of the 2MM Society some years ago there was a continental section in the society but l never managed to progress with anything.

Edited by IanStock

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, Jerry. Are there etches for the splasher tops or will you have to fabricate those too?

It's very laudable to have a get things finished session; I've been working to clear some of the partly finished items too. At the same time it's exciting to start something new. I've just commenced Hull Bridge and this will need three or four scratch built H&BR locos. These were designed by Matthew Stirling, son of Patrick of "Stirling Single" fame. 2017 should be interesting! :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, Jerry. Are there etches for the splasher tops or will you have to fabricate those too?

It's very laudable to have a get things finished session; I've been working to clear some of the partly finished items too. At the same time it's exciting to start something new. I've just commenced Hull Bridge and this will need three or four scratch built H&BR locos. These were designed by Matthew Stirling, son of Patrick of "Stirling Single" fame. 2017 should be interesting! :D

Thanks Tony, I do regularly get stuff finished (although not necessarily painted!), but rarely in the same order it was started! I've been following your new project, pre-group H&BR sounds great. Alan Doherty of Worsley does a Stirling 0-6-0 tender loco, I've seen one converted to a very convincing SECR loco and the SDJR had five locos built by Fowler of Leeds with a Stirling cab which were very similar. Any use for the Hull and Barnsley?

The boiler on my SDJR 4-4-0 is smaller than the GNSR  prototype so the etched splasher tops were too narrow so I used some etched waste filed to the correct width. The tricky bit is bending them to shape and soldering in place but an evening of cutting, filing, tweaking and cursing got the job done.

post-1074-0-75824100-1482450582_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-87126700-1482450611_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Bit more progress on the small 4-4-0.

post-1074-0-52164100-1483139376_thumb.jpg

I got the wheels prepped. Crank pins fitted, cleaned up then the treads masked ready for spraying. 

post-1074-0-59487300-1483139403_thumb.jpg

The coupling rods are based on those supplied on the etch with their thickness doubled and shape refined with filing. I also did a bit more work on the tender including building the chassis,  reinstating the lower beading cut off when the body was lowered and generally cleaning it up. 

The tender body pivots on the single fixing screw at the rear. The front of the chassis is lowered by about .5mm (the filed section), the ride height will be maintained by the fall plate being soldered to the tender and resting on the rear of the loco footplate, transfering weight in the process. The front third or so of the tender body will be crammed with as much weight as I can get in which will counterbalance the weight of the lead in the front section of the boiler. The end result should be a reasonably heavy loco whose centre of gravity falls within the coupled wheelbase.

Jerry

• Like 8

It all looks very good Jerry! I do have one question though. You said this will have a 38:1 worm and gear and I'm wondering how you hold the worm? I've seen the etched fold up boxes on chassis kits from the Association (and I've built one) but I'm not sure that that translates to a homebrewed one-off chassis.

When you get around to doing it I would appreciate some extra details and pictures, I'm quite a visual learner...

• RMweb Gold

Thank Gareth. The worm shaft will be in a shallow U shaped bracket with two bearings bolted to the chassis spacer. I will post pictures when I get round to doing it but essentially it will be similar to the picture Nigel Hunt posted of his 3P over on the 2mm chassis thread - if somebody could post a link that would be useful, i haven't worked out how to do it on Kim's iplod

Jerry

[...]

I will post pictures when I get round to doing it but essentially it will be similar to the picture Nigel Hunt posted of his 3P over on the 2mm chassis thread - if somebody could post a link that would be useful, i haven't worked out how to do it on Kim's iplod

You mean this one? (The third picture in the post)

• RMweb Gold

Final post of the year sees the basic chassis frames soldered up and I'm pleased to say it looks as though everything fits so far. Back to earning a crust on Monday so progress will slow dramatically but very pleased so far.

post-1074-0-25664600-1483213041_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-75062000-1483213092_thumb.jpg

Happy New Year all, Jerry

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Not wishing to steal Jerry's thread, but for mounting a worm, I drill a 1.5 mm hole down a block of brass (square pin plugs are a useful source if you don't have tons of the stuff laying around). This is filed to fit tightly between the frames, broadly where the firebox would go, with the worm shaft hole in the midline (oil hole on top). The frames have a couple of 14BA clearance holes drilled in them where the block sits. The worm (mounted in the block) is rested on the worm wheel, with two dummy axles locating it either side. The two holes are marked through to the block and these are then drilled and tapped for 14 BA. The front hole is countersunk for an appropriate bolt. The back hole takes a cheese head bolt and the whole can be stretched a bit if the worm needs adjusting. Once everything is set up correctly, then the non screwed side of the block is filed back to give electrical clearance from the other live frame. When the loco is really run in then a spot of superglue will lock the gear housing in place (glue joint easily broken with a scalpel if required. This block gives a decent amount of weight in the chassis.

2mqszkh.jpg

123rz39.jpg

Tim

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A really useful post Tim, a simple, elegant solution. Like all good ideas I shall steal it! My little 4-4-0 uses the thin etched frames from the Worsley etch so I don't think I would have got away with just a spacer at each end but it's perfect for the heavier frames you use. What is the frame material and what do you use for spacers?

Thinking about it, I may try out a variation on your idea. Instead of my usual U shaped frame to hold the worm shaft I could make a smaller block than yours which bolts to the central spacer. As you say it adds some useful weight just where you want it.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

The frames are phosphor bronze strip from the 2 mm SA with double sided pcb spacer strip, also from the Association Jerry.

See you in St Evenage.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC

A really useful post Tim, a simple, elegant solution. Like all good ideas I shall steal it! My little 4-4-0 uses the thin etched frames from the Worsley etch so I don't think I would have got away with just a spacer at each end but it's perfect for the heavier frames you use. What is the frame material and what do you use for spacers?

Thinking about it, I may try out a variation on your idea. Instead of my usual U shaped frame to hold the worm shaft I could make a smaller block than yours which bolts to the central spacer. As you say it adds some useful weight just where you want it.

Jerry

Another variation of the same idea:

gallery_11426_3848_98358.jpeg

Ultrascale 38:1 gear set, P/B bearings soldered to the brass block, 12BA steel bolt from underneath. Still to add 0.05" styrene between the spacer and the brass block.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another variation of the same idea:

Ultrascale 38:1 gear set, P/B bearings soldered to the brass block, 12BA steel bolt from underneath. Still to add 0.05" styrene between the spacer and the brass block.

That's just the sort of thing I had in mind Valentin

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As usual I have been flitting from project to project in the evenings and this week I have returned to another loco that was started some while ago, MR 1F 0-6-0T No. 1676 which was a long standing resident of Bath. The late Reverend Alan Newman recalls a cab ride in her in the Midland yard when he was a lad in the late 1920s and I have a rather grainy picture of her in the same yard in the early 1930s.

The basic body has been done for a while but I built the chassis this week and I'm pleased to say it runs very well with its Lawton 8mm motor and 60:1 gearing. It should get even better when I add some weight and I'm encouraged to finish it off. It will then join the growing stud of locos in the queue for the printshop!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Jerry

Edited to correct number

This looks very similar to S&DJR No.8. I haven't looked at dimensions. The bunker is the main difference,

• RMweb Gold

Very nice; I am particularly taken with the sweeping curves in the track alignment

Thanks, the section of the S&D between Midford and Radstock largely followed the alignment of the old SCC tramway and was characterised by a succession of reverse curves.

This looks very similar to S&DJR No.8. I haven't looked at dimensions. The bunker is the main difference,

The SDJR No8 you are thinking of was slightly smaller being a Fox Walker saddle tank rebuilt with side tanks although the standard Midland boiler fittings do result in a definite family likeness. For some reason No 8 also had a spell as an 0-6-0 tender loco. The complexities of SDJR rebuilding and renumbering are legendary!

I will build a pair of Fox Walkers at some point as they were very long term residents of Bath.

Jerry 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is lovely you have made the space to place the colliery alongside a decent length of mainline a chance for those lovely locos to stretch their legs or a bit of shunting if you wish. 

Don

• RMweb Gold

Lovely 'sweepy' stuff Jerry and looks superb.

Is it going to go 'on the road'?

Thanks John. I'm hoping to work out a way to take the colliery out in its new format but the bits either side are definitely home only.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Hi Jerry, not sure if it will contain anything you don't already know, but the March 2017 edition of Steam Days magazine has a fourteen page article on Bath "Green Park" as they call it. Half a dozen pictures are from MR/S&D days, including a very nice one of a Johnson Single awaiting departure from Bath.

Stephen