Bachmann announce J11

Andy Y

Checking the Bachmann website, specifically the 'new arrivals' page, the J11 hasn't even made it to the 'due in the next 60 days' list yet.  So it looks to be an April/May delivery date at the earliest at the moment.... c'mon Bachmann!  I want my third pom pom, and I want it now!  impatient.gif

• RMweb Premium

The J11 is making progress. At Model Rail Scotland this week-end Bachmann displayed the LNER J11 for the first time - shown as 5317 in LNER black. A member of Bachmann's staff told me it was hand painted, and that we could expect it around September/ October.

It looked good, though when I passed the stand on a number of occasions no one seemed to be taking any notice of it. Hopefully someone did take sufficient notice to take a photograph or two, to add here for the benefit of us all.

John

I saw it at model rail as Steve Flint was photgraphing it. I know little or nothing about LNER 0-6-0s but it was a handsome wee beast. I suggested to the Bachmann chap that a J15 would be nice, his reply "well you'd better buy a lot of these then..."

Most modellers replace the metal coal block with actual crushed coal anyway, so I fail to see the significance if I am honest. Bachmann may have cut a corner there, but they've not cut back in other more obvious aesthetic areas (no moulded on smokebox door darts: they are all separate). 

They seem to have got the balance of sensible design right in the J11 to be frank. My concern is how the body comes apart, for I would dearly love a J11/3 and that would require some substantial cutting and shutting of the original body shell I fear...

It is getting expensive all this GCR stuff - being it on!!!

Mind having a CLC interest makes it worse; or better for Bachmann...

As for a J11/3, the Gibson gives one that option and having makes it a nobrainer.

I may have a lot of rewheeling to do at this rate (health permitting)...

It is nice having a few GC locos available RTR (for one thing, it saves me an awful lot of work and ultimate heartache trying to build them from scratch!- something I've tried and failed at.)  My wallet will be b*ggered if anyone starts making Metropolitan stock RTR as well....

... My concern is how the body comes apart...

The current smaller tender loco models are to a pretty consistent body construction layout. Cast metal footplate to which the mouldings for cab, boiler and smokebox are screwed (and usually lightly 'tacked' with adhesive) and often clipped in. Components that bridge these two principal pieces like reach rods have to be released at one end or the other. Once separated from the footplate the cab will generally unclip from the firebox end of the boiler, and the smokebox and/or saddle will probably unclip or release from the front end. Half the fun is taking it apart - isn't it?

It is nice having a few GC locos available RTR (for one thing, it saves me an awful lot of work and ultimate heartache trying to build them from scratch!- something I've tried and failed at.)  My wallet will be b*ggered if anyone starts making Metropolitan stock RTR as well....

I could have written this!

I am surprised no-one has commented on the dome fitted on the pre-production one as photographed in the link.  It is one of the type fitted from 1946 with the 'flat top' and angular corners (Yeadon page 81). All were initially fitted with a larger one with a more curved top. Colin at Gibbo does one ref 4M782. The chimney is a tall flower pot variety as fitted from @1925 although several retained their Robinson chimneys through the 1930s.

Tony

To be honest, I missed the dome entirely... although the original annoucement (see first post of this thread) does say several variants are to be produced to cover the various changes in boiler fittings and such like.  Now maybe, this being a pre-production sample, they just 'threw together' (for want of a better phrase) an example from test mouldings to give a flavour of what to expect? 

. although the original annoucement (see first post of this thread) does say several variants are to be produced to cover the various changes in boiler fittings and such like.

I am afraid Bachmann do not have a good track record of doing that with steam locos -just look at the ROD 04 released for the NRM in GC livery with a LNER flowerpot chimney.........

In fack have they EVER produced a steam loco with different boiler fittings?

Tony

I am afraid Bachmann do not have a good track record of doing that with steam locos -just look at the ROD 04 released for the NRM in GC livery with a LNER flowerpot chimney.........

Tony

Yes - the very Robinson O4 you mention, in both ROD/LNER and GWR version. Then they've done the same with the GCR D11, Scottish and English versions with different chimneys, cab and similar. 

Guest 40-something

Tony

I think they have, Im sure the Ivatt 4mt had different chimneys, and there are different fittings on the A2

Ok I take it back!  They HAVE a track record of doing different fittings!

Shame they have not done it to the LNWR Super D with LNWR fittings

Tony

Tony - not sure if that's fair. Wouldn't it require substantial re-tooling to do a proper LNWR Super D (I thought the originals were outside cylindered, or have I mixed my classes up?)

Tony - not sure if that's fair. Wouldn't it require substantial re-tooling to do a proper LNWR Super D (I thought the originals were outside cylindered, or have I mixed my classes up?)

What I actually meant was with a LNWR chimney as opposed to the Stanier one.  Much more useful for 1920/30's modellers.

Tony

Archived