Basically, all of the ballast is now laid. I used the usual method of spreading out the ballast and messing about with it until I was happy with the look. I then used the common solution of an equal mix of PVA and water plus a drop of washing-up liquid. I used an old Dettol spray bottle to spray the liquid onto track evenly. I gave it a decent helping because I find that it doesn't work if you don't apply a good amount. The pictures below illustrate the progress...
As you can see, I've also finished the warehouse by simply adding the roof. However I made the slightly
massive mistake of glueing the ridges of the roof the wrong way. In reality, the rain would of course drain by gravity, down the sloping roof, directed by the channels between the ridges. If this was Almere Road TMD, I would have re-done it but this is only a test-board so I'm not bothered at all. I've also painted the ground an earth colour and the reaction of the PVA/water ballast mix has 'chemically reacted' with the Acrylic paint rather nicely by breaking up the pigments making the ground look a bit more realistic. I half way through painting the edges of the board black as well.
Anyway, that's about it for the time being. The next job will be adding scenics and weathering. Please remember that this project it only a small test-board for my larger exhibition layout, Almere Road TMD. I'm only doing this side project so I don't muck up the scenics on that! Eventually (and by that, I mean when Almere is literally finished) this project might be enlarged, but for now it'll stay a foot long
Thanks for viewing,
Any comments welcome.
More on this project coming soon.
Edited by AlmereRoadTMD, 18 March 2012 - 20:13 .