IZA (Hfirrs3) Cargowaggon Twin Vans in S7

Thanks for those pictures Graham, they're going to be very useful as they are of the type of wagon that I'm modelling. Three different roof variants sounds about right to me.

Pleased to be of help, could do with a rake of these in 4mm, made up of all four versions of course! The photos are crops and not much bigger than appear on here but if you would like original copies then I can send if you provide an email address.

Graham

Thanks for the offer, but those are spot on for what I needed. They show the profile of the roof, the fact that it actually extends over the end beams and that my end/door profile is about right.

I've also been doing a bit of reworking to the ends - more hours gone and it doesn't look much different! The depth of the end beams has been reduced - although I did have some measurements, I must have interpreted them incorrectly, as photos showed that they weren't as deep as I had made them. Altering these meant I had to alter all of the strengthening parts on the end as well, which was the most time consuming bit.

It's all been worthwhile though, as I think it's looking more like the real thing now:

post-6668-0-29744500-1339018960_thumb.jpg

and a closer look at the roof, from a similar angle to Graham's photo:

post-6668-0-02991500-1339018958_thumb.jpg

If anything, the roof needs trimming back a little bit, and possible reducing the angle of the outer pieces slightly, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I now need to create the centre support, the brake gear and door controls and amend the buffers. After the rest of the castings are drawn up, it will be a matter of selecting who I'm going to get to print them, and what material to use.

That's looking much better indeed Pugs :good: . Amazing how such a subtle change can dramatically improve the look of the whole thing. I'm looking forward to seeing this morph into the actual wagon.

Cheers

Tom

A bit more progress to report, although there's not that much to show for it as most of the work has been underneath! I've drawn up the brake cylinder and air reservoir, and only have the brake linkages to draw up to complete the parts required for the underside. Externally, I've made a start on the door release gear for the ends, and once this bit is complete, all of the parts will exist in the virtual world. The next stage will be to send them off for printing, which is going to be interesting as it's not something I've done before.

How things stand now:

post-6668-0-29947500-1340054797_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to have the last few parts for casting finished this week, then it's a matter of choosing a company and a material. Having seen what Missy has achieved in Shapeways FUD, that has to be a contender. However, as the parts are mostly small, I may opt for an even finer material from a different provider.

More as it happens!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow the last week, although I'm getting to a point where the end is now in sight. The brake gear is more representative than accurate, but it certainly looks as though it could work, which is good enough for me. I've also spent a bit of time around the ends, tweaking the area around the top where the top mechanism for the doors is located, which has involved narrowing the roof, making a big difference to the overall appearance.

Shot of the underside:

post-6668-0-93186700-1341261800_thumb.jpg

I've also rendered the current progress, which has confirmed to me that I'm on the right track and have captured these wagons quite well, IMO, although there are still a few tweaks remaining. The rendered version has highlighted the need to trim the roof overhang back a little more at the ends, and possibly the need to bring the 'ears' either side of the top mechanism out a little more. Other than that, it's just a matter of a few little more fiddly bits of etch to draw up, mostly related to the doors and door gear, and then I'll be ready to turn it all into castings or etchings.

post-6668-0-12793400-1341262051_thumb.jpg

I've been reading the manual on how to create the drawings of the parts, which looks like it might be a long and drawn out process. I am getting to the stage where I'm wondering if this project will be finished before the deadline, given that we're into July already! I'm a bit worried that I'm not going to have enough time to build and paint them, especially as I'm going to have to create my own decals as well.

Hi Martin,

I might be able to help you with the transfers as I'm making my own for my bogie cargowaggon in O gauge. As most of the text boxes and other writing are in black I can print these onto clear water slide sheet. For my 'CARGOWAGGON' logos will be on white water slide sheet. I'm thinking about making them slightly oversized so will fit in the rectangles of the wagon sides.

Regards

Vin

Hi Martin,

I might be able to help you with the transfers as I'm making my own for my bogie cargowaggon in O gauge. As most of the text boxes and other writing are in black I can print these onto clear water slide sheet. For my 'CARGOWAGGON' logos will be on white water slide sheet. I'm thinking about making them slightly oversized so will fit in the rectangles of the wagon sides.

Regards

Vin

Sorry Martin for the hijack, but Vin, id like to see your Cargowaggon build pics!

Hi brushtype4, I'll be putting up the first pics at the weekend. That's if work doesn't get in the way.

Martin I'll post the first prototype sheets at the weekend as well.

Vin

More fiddly bits added, including the bits that extend from the doors into the running channel, the rods underneath the channel, and various linkages that operate the door locking mechanisms. The more of these little bits I design, the more it looks like the prototype - I'm very pleased with the way it's looking now, all I have to do now is turn into something that looks good in reality!

post-6668-0-74628500-1341866057_thumb.jpg

As per the previous post, I've trimmed the roof back, which has made a big difference to the overall appearance, but there is still a fair bit to do:

Change the suspension links to replace the incorrect bolts.

Mounts for the air reservoirs, brake cylinders and distributor valve

Mount for the load sensing valves

Handbrake wheel, gearbox and mounting bracket

Safety loops for the brake gear

Support for the brake cranks

Brackets for the long side step

Steps, both end and sides

And I'm sure there are other things that I can't think of at the moment.

All (all!) I then have to do is turn all of the sheet parts into the flat patterns, and combine them into a sheet for etching, adding a few half etched bits at that stage. I also have to prepare the parts for 3D printing, then get that done. I have to get those cast, and then find time to actually build them!

Even if I don't make the deadline, which is looking increasingly likely, I'll still have something that I would have taken a lot longer to getting round to. Still, I am going to press on with every intention of having something tangible by the deadline.

More progress this weekend, although I now seem to have got to the stage where the bits I'm adding now are forcing me to redesign other bits. A prime example of this is the springs. With the spring correctly curved, the axlebox isn't sitting in the correct place - it looks like the suspension mounts are too long, so these will have to be shortened. I also re-did the air brake reservoirs, as they were too deep and not long enough - but it has made quite a difference to the appearance. Seeing as things are nearly complete, I plonked two of them together to see what it would look like:

post-6668-0-56721700-1342390582_thumb.jpg

Not too bad, although there are still several things to do. As mentioned in my previous post, I still haven't changed the nuts on the double link assemblies but that is then pretty much it, other than the handbrake wheels, gearbox assembly and associated mounting brackets. I also need to change the springs, and suspension mounts, which will be the first priority. There should be one more update, once all parts are complete/altered, featuring the model in the virtual form, then it will be on to the artwork stage.

Yer Tiz, the final pictures before the task of converting all of the parts into an etched sheet. I've now got the two different types complete with their different features (which are the various under-floor bits and pieces). I'm not sure what the official nomenclature is, so I've called them IZA 'A' and 'B' for my own purposes, to distinguish between the two.

IZA 'A' has the handbrake for the set, a brake cylinder and not much else. IZA 'B' also has a brake cylinder, along with the brake distributor valve and the associated air reservoirs. The load sensing valve bracket is mounted on the other side, at the inner end, on this half of the set.

IZA A:

post-6668-0-49932200-1342822925_thumb.jpg

The inner end, for a change.

post-6668-0-90564400-1342822966_thumb.jpg

The underneath

IZA B:

post-6668-0-77457100-1342822934_thumb.jpg

post-6668-0-81507200-1342822928_thumb.jpg

post-6668-0-52797700-1342822963_thumb.jpg

The underneath. There isn't that much under these wagons at all.

Various views of the twin set, as it will appear once everything has been brought over into reality. This is some way off :) :

post-6668-0-52783900-1342822938_thumb.jpg

post-6668-0-90759900-1342822941_thumb.jpg

post-6668-0-43888900-1342822948_thumb.jpg

post-6668-0-59995700-1342822951.jpg

The springs have been altered, it transpires that the axleboxes weren't in the correct place, hence the flat springs. These will be etched from Phosphor Bronze strip, and should hopefully work in the same way as the prototype. I may have to weight the wagon a fair bit though, but only time will tell.

post-6668-0-95241500-1342822921_thumb.jpg

This is the last time you will see these in this form, the next update will either feature some physical components, in the form of 3D printed parts, or etch artwork, depending on what happens first!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Tom, I must admit I am very happy with the way that things are looking at the moment 8)

To make sure that I have the right number of parts overall and to make sure that I put enough of each part on the etch sheets, I've made a list for each of the two variants in each set. Having done that, I've frightened myself slightly as each twin set consists of 979 parts! Of which, there are roughly 150 different components, although some of those are bought in, such as the wheels and a bit of wire and metal sections.

Even though, it's really highlighted the fact that I should really pull my finger out if I'm going to have something physical completed by the deadline!

Hi Pugs

I've just been catching up on your thread, the rendered images look stunning. I'm glad I set you thinking about the project in the first place. Mind you that parts count is high isn't it!

Your images have shown that there are many differences between the IZA and IVA, that perhaps arent as obvious from just looking through photos.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave.

On the face of it, the IVA and IZA Cargowaggons do look quite similar, but as you say, there are a massive amount of difference between the two types. In fact, I'd go as far to say that if I were to attempt those in 7mm scale, it would be quicker to start from scratch than it would be to adapt the IZA drawings!

How's your project coming on?

I think your probably right that they are so different that it would be easier to start over to create the IVA. I've had some time to work on my project, I think that if it wasn't a challenge entry with a deadline not too far away then I may well have started over a few times. I do think that your approach to creating yourself a kit has many benefits. Mainly you don't find anything unexpected halfway through, and you have exact dimensions to work with. You can make notes and small diagrams but you can always miss something, whereas if you miss something in the cad design then its noticeable.

Dave

This project has taken a little step closer to reality today, in as much as the parts are now sprued up and ready for 3D printing. Here's all of the parts to be cast, one twin sets worth, ready to go. These parts are shown in Netfabb Studio, which is a brilliant (free for the basic version) tool for checking and repairing the STL files before sending them off to be done.

post-6668-0-09984200-1345292284_thumb.jpg

Running checks on the files uncovered some minor problems, but these were repaired in the program without much trouble and they're now ready to go.

All I have to do now is decide which material and company I'm going to go for. The choice is between iMaterialise and their high detail resin, or Shapeways and FUD. Both seem quite similar in terms of level of detail, but early indications are that the iMaterialise resin is a lot more expensive, which will probably limit its use to the smallest parts, where it will be of most benefit.

The next update will, hopefully, be when I have the parts in my grubby mitts!

It certainly is!

The iMaterialise high detail resin proved to be too expensive, at roughly EUR30 per part, so everything has been sent to Shapeways for printing in FUD. Just got to wait until the package arrives now! In the meantime, I really should be getting on with creating the etched sheets, which will keep me out of mischief for a while.

I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with this project, which is just as well as I have to build and paint a set by the end of September if I'm going to have a hope of getting anywhere in the competition! I had an email from Shapeways accepting all of my parts for the printing process, so am hoping to see those fairly soon. I've also started on the etch artwork.

That is proving to be a bit of a convoluted process, in as much as I have to create the flat pattern drawing in Alibre, before converting to DXF format and opening in Solid Edge 2D, where I'm creating the actual artwork. The drawing part in Alibre is fine if you want to create a normal manufacturing drawing, but not very helpful in terms of amending things once you've got the basic shape on the drawing. So I'm at this stage now, with most of the parts represented here:

post-6668-0-70764900-1345669043_thumb.jpg

Once they're in Solid Edge, I'll colour them in, add tags and then make a block for each one, for easier placement. I've got the next couple of evenings and all of Saturday to devote to this, so I'm hoping the sheets will be ready to send off by Monday.

It's all exciting stuff - there's nothing quite like the feeling you get when you send a computer file off and several days later some physical parts turn up!

Archived