Photo
- - - - -

West Kirby Town - at last, some scenery!

0 gauge blue diesel dmu DCC

• Please log in to reply
1803 replies to this topic

#1801 Jintyman

Jintyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationN Wales

Posted 02 June 2018 - 22:00

The scenery is looking great now Rod, and I like the over vegetated buffer stop!!!

The concourse will look great when all the slabs are painted grey. 

I've just got a couple of bags of paving slabs and edging stones off Intentio and intend to start fitting them to the bit of platform I've got on Talyllyn! 

Keep up the good work, it's coming along great. ;)

Jinty ;)

• Thanks x 1

#1802 leopardml2341

leopardml2341

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,755 posts
  • LocationWillington S. Derbyshire (Yorkshire expat)

Posted 03 June 2018 - 17:09

Hello Rod,

Having seen the raw mdf paving got me thinking......

If the paving was painted matt, it might look too 'flat' for paving that is sheltered under that canopy. Paving in that sort of environment takes on a semi-polished look. I've painted things with matt paints before and lightly burnished them with a soft cotton cloth to give an ever so slight sheen to represent e.g. leather seats in larger scale model cars. Don't know how well, or even if, the technique would transfer to a larger area?

It's all looking rather spiffing, Rod. :yes:
  • Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#1803 Dmudriver

Dmudriver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationPreston

Posted 03 June 2018 - 20:59

Hello Rod,

Having seen the raw mdf paving got me thinking......

If the paving was painted matt, it might look too 'flat' for paving that is sheltered under that canopy. Paving in that sort of environment takes on a semi-polished look. I've painted things with matt paints before and lightly burnished them with a soft cotton cloth to give an ever so slight sheen to represent e.g. leather seats in larger scale model cars. Don't know how well, or even if, the technique would transfer to a larger area?

It's all looking rather spiffing, Rod. :yes:

Hi Andy.

Hmmm .. I know what you're getting at but the photo I took of the concourse in 2012 (Page 72, post 1782) shows it matt - well at least that's what my eyes see!!!!  But that's 30 - 35 years after the time I'm modelling so maybe it's been cleaned (if not relaid) since.  I don't think it will be too obvious anyway by the time I've finished everything (see next post) - there's still fencing to go on the edges and hopefully the viewer will be mostly looking at the trains!!

Rod

PS  Thanks for the compliment.

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Like x 1

#1804 Dmudriver

Dmudriver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationPreston

Posted 03 June 2018 - 21:24

Hi all.

Concourse spraying done!!  It's a bit darker than I hoped (I've just used Halfords Primer!!) but I'm reasonably happy with it.  It's not the same as the concrete on the platform edges or the steps leading down to the track and I may alter the latter eventually, but all in all, I'm not disappointed.  

Here's some pics - after I've reglued the pillars, put the phone box and ticket collectors' booths back and added the platform canopy:

P1050970 - Copy.JPG   P1050971 - Copy.JPG

And, although you can't see the concourse, I couldn't resist taking this one looking down the platform:

P1050972 - Copy.JPG

And, just for the fun of it, here's a photo of the real thing from a similar viewpoint:

P1010137.JPG

That one was in 2012 and it had been modernised a bit from this:

9856838904_103d03f110_o.jpg

Finally, a general view of the business end of the platform and of the concourse:

P1050974 - Copy.JPG

In the first 2 pics, and the one above, you can see in the background a concrete slab fencing.  The model is Peco SR fencing but it represents what's actually there - in the 70s (just visible on the left):

IMG_0031_28800x60729.jpg

and in 2012:

P1010125 - Copy.JPG

That's all for now.  I'm going to start looking for platform fencing on line now - I had intended to look at Doncaster yesterday but ……..  well, you know the story!!!

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver, 03 June 2018 - 21:25 .

• Like x 5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 0 gauge, blue diesel, dmu, DCC