"Dog's breakfast" of locomotives

pH

I saw a BNSF Anacortes train standing at Whitney, Washington State yesterday. The locomotives were a mixture, containing some real rarities. Here’s a picture (apologies for the long distance shot – I wasn’t going to cross 6 lanes to get closer!):

post-1771-0-71078900-1341605856.jpg

Left to right:

• 3143. Built as a GP50. Derated by BNSF, and classed by them as a GP25, though that is not an official EMD designation. Still in a Burlington Northern colourscheme, more than 15 years after formation of BNSF.
  • 2084. A GP38-2. The most ‘normal’ engine in the consist.
  • 331. A GP60B, built for ATSF before the merger. ‘B’ units are very rare nowadays.
  • 2826. A GP39M, rebuilt from a GP30 built for the CB&Q in 1962. The carbody, at least, is 50 years old!

A Santa Fe car there...was it more the case that cars would be left in their original liveries, or repainted and relettered?

Few freight cars are repainted. The old reporting mark gets painted over and a new one added, usually with some kind of update to the running number.

(As you can see from the locomotives, only some locomotives are repainted too - more often they just get renumbered and their new owner's letters on the cab.)

Is that a Milwaukee Road banner on 331 or something else?

Nothing so exciting - it's only a highway sign:

post-1771-0-87042800-1341611612.jpg

And the green on 2826 is just well-weathered Cascade Green.

Nothing so exciting - it's only a highway sign:

And the green on 2826 is just well-weathered Cascade Green.

And so it is. It's quite obvious that I missed the post holding up the sign.

Thank you. I must get that eyeglass prescription filled! ;)

Glorious collection there...loving the lack of assimilation. Homogeneity is a bit of a monotonous curse nowadays...

How about a second and third course of doggie breakfast?

An ex L&N GP38-2 in Seaboard System, a BQ-23-7 in Family Lines, a Seaboard Coast Lien GP40, another EMD in Seaboard System, and finally an EMD in Family Lines...southbound on the old Atlantic Coast Line in Selma, North Carolina

post-751-0-84472800-1341624769_thumb.jpg

And another favorite of mine - a Seaboard System U30C, a Chessie/B&O SD40-2, a Seaboard Coast Line SD45, and a Family Lines SD40-2 on a southbound ballast train just south of Apex, North Carolina on the old Seaboard Air Line. The ballast cars were invariably the most beat up rattletrap cars...worn out phosphate covered hoppers that had their tops removed and old coal hoppers. And the engineer had this train really rolling...moving at track speed of 60 mph. The old hoppers sounded like a high speed junkyard going by...it was fantastic.

post-751-0-92217500-1341625111_thumb.jpg

And a little further down the line crossing the Haw River at Moncure, NC

post-751-0-79821000-1341625160_thumb.jpg

Glorious collection there...loving the lack of assimilation. Homogeneity is a bit of a monotonous curse nowadays...

How about a second and third course of doggie breakfast?

Nice pics, Craig. Another course?

By the time the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (MKT) was absorbed by the UP, it was running what some people called 'rainbow trains'. The railroad knew it was going to be absorbed but, in the meantime, needed more locomotives to handle an increase in traffic. So it acquired second-hand locomotives from other railroads, 'patched' them with the letters 'MKT' and new numbers, but only repainted a very few of them in MKT colours. Here's one of these trains - 4 locos, all MKT (no 'foreign' power), 4 different colour schemes:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/mkt/mkt337awp.jpg

GP38, patched, in Illinois Central Gulf colours

GP40 in 'real' MKT colours

GP39-2, patched, in Kennecott Copper colours

GP40 or GP38, patched, in Conrail colours

Another from Washington State:

post-6819-0-57164400-1341740587.jpg

Columbia Basin RR SW1200 #201 hauls a dusty Yakima Valley Line Car A and Steeplecab 298 through the old UP yard in Yakima, on their return from offsite storage. The combined age of the trio is 238 years.

Nice pics, Craig. Another course?

By the time the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (MKT) was absorbed by the UP, it was running what some people called 'rainbow trains'. The railroad knew it was going to be absorbed but, in the meantime, needed more locomotives to handle an increase in traffic. So it acquired second-hand locomotives from other railroads, 'patched' them with the letters 'MKT' and new numbers, but only repainted a very few of them in MKT colours. Here's one of these trains - 4 locos, all MKT (no 'foreign' power), 4 different colour schemes:

http://www.rr-fallen...t/mkt337awp.jpg

GP38, patched, in Illinois Central Gulf colours

GP40 in 'real' MKT colours

GP39-2, patched, in Kennecott Copper colours

GP40 or GP38, patched, in Conrail colours

I love it. The lead IC engine is positively ratty...would be great to model!

A couple of more...

FURX 3003 leads a CSX B36-7 and a UP SD70M thru Warmack Jct at Hamlet, NC in May 2002...this is train Q667 bound for New Orleans.

post-751-0-47533700-1341757095_thumb.jpg

At the south end of the yard in Rocky Mount, NC...an AC6000, a BNSF GE and a BN SD40-2 wait to continue south...December 1999

post-751-0-93275700-1341757221_thumb.jpg

And this pair of photos, at first blush, fails the doggie breakfast test...until you realize that the CSX motors are pulling the AutoTrain backwards. I don't recall the precise circumstances, but in Sept 2007 there was a derailment north of Rocky Mount, NC on the old Atlantic Coast Line. They ran AutoTrain to Rocky Mount, put on the pair of CSX engines, and pulled it back to Selma, NC to the Norfolk Southern. From there they pulled it west to Raleigh, NC, thru my town of Cary (where I shot these photos at Fetner Jct), and to Greensboro, NC to the Norfolk Southern (ex Southern) main. There they cut off the CSX motors and allowed the train to continue northward to Washington DC...how they got to Lorton VA I have no idea. But it made for some neat photos.

post-751-0-31372400-1341757506_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-95901400-1341757538_thumb.jpg

I love all these patch liveried locos. One patched loco I'd like to do (one day) is CSX SD40 #4617. It was the last unit with C&O markings, on the CSX System, only getting repainted into the YN3 scheme sometime in 2008!

Early 90s still looking fairly respectable:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=306780&nseq=3

Now looking more of a "Dog's Breakfast":

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=194626&nseq=12

And one from the back:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=50228&nseq=30

David

When I first moved to Omaha, in the Omaha shops was a UP GP40 that had hood doors off several engines so it had a mix of UP, MP and WP doors.

One of my favorite engines from college days was a CR GP35 that worked around Zoo Tower in Philadelphia. It was nominally a PC engine but had a CR patch in the middle of the PC herald, and somebody had scratched through the PC black paint to expose the PRR keystone on the hood side.

Guilford managed some good lashups back in the day

4, possibly 5 schemes, 3 builders, all one road, although most are pretty clean

http://www.railpictu...=282148&nseq=29

Nice and tatty and none in the corporate scheme

http://www.railpictu...d=371227&nseq=0

grubby

http://www.railpictu...d=75705&nseq=56

All EMD, bu still motley

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=72273&nseq=74

Unfortunatly finding these pics has tempted me very strongly to backdate my modelling 10-15 years... I love that ex PC U33C and the Detroit Edison scheme is lovely

Is 2085 "Pacific Pride II" still knocking about...? Perhaps they'll follow Norfolk Southern's lead and paint a few into locos into heritage liveries.

It sure is, I see 2085 in and around Seattle quite often. Unfortunately the logos of BN predecessors have faded badly. I wish my company took a bit more active interest in publicly displaying its distinguised heritage.

Another from Washington State:

post-6819-0-57164400-1341740587.jpg

Columbia Basin RR SW1200 #201 hauls a dusty Yakima Valley Line Car A and Steeplecab 298 through the old UP yard in Yakima, on their return from offsite storage. The combined age of the trio is 238 years.

And another WCRC refugee, 202, is the Interbay shop goat!

• 3 months later...

Archived