Morfa Mawr

Trevor H

post-6909-12613349252397_thumb.jpg

This is a breakdown of Morfa Mawr previously posted on the old RMweb, made from previous posting which hopefully I've tidied up.

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=9&t=21887

The layout was never planned to be anything more than a EM test track to play trains on at home, started originally late 2005 it started as 5ft board with a 3ft sector plate and all that was done was to lay the track and wire it up, where after it just laid around doing nothing.

In the second half of 2006 I found myself with no layout to work on and sitting at home one weekend I decided to dig it out and see what could be done, after some thought and several different ideas I decided to change the track work about a bit and build it up as a full scenic layout now 8ft length with a 4ft fiddle yard Anyhow the layout developed and by the end of the year I had a fully scenic layout to play trains on at home.

Late 2007 I was asked if I had anything I could exhibit at the local Cheltenham show for Oct 2008, I said I have a smallish station come shunting plank which I use to test trains on, at home and with a bit of work it could be set up for an exhibition, ie.. a proper fiddle yard, some sought of lighting rig and a backscene, so I duly oblidged.

An early shot of the layout when the backscene was fitted to what is now the front/viewing side of the layout.

post-6909-12613350096492_thumb.jpg

Anyhow onto the setting of the layout, the layout is based around 1970 on the coast of Cardigan bay between Aberystwyth and Aberaeron near Llannon and consist of a small single platform station with runround, sidings for goods and coal and a later day erected siding which houses a Provender shed which houses foodstuffs amongst other stuff.

The line was originally in the plans to be built as a narrow gauge line by the VoR railway but this never happened and in 1909 plans were forwarded by the LA&NQLR to build a standard gauge railway following the VoR planned route albeit a few deviations, work finally started in 1911 and was completed with help from the Cambrian Railway just before the outbreak of the Great War in 1914.

The layout appeared at the Cheltenham show in October 2008 http://www.cheltmodrail.org.uk/

I've added a map of a possibly proposed route of the line for my layout, hopefully it is feasable.

post-6909-12613352111535_thumb.jpg

The red lines are what was built by the LA&NQLR/Cambrian showing the line from Lampeter to Aberayron with Newquay branch (as built by Ken Gibbons and still seeing regular service into the 70's) diverging at Crossways. With Aberayron station been a terminus and sited where it was, i dont think it would of been possible for the line to have curved around and to be taken out via Aberarth to Aberystwth and as i would have no wish to change the layout of Aberayron station it was decided to take a inland route.

The proposed route is to take the line back as far as Crossways where the line would diverge to the left possibly through Pennant depending on accesibility through the hills, before heading back towards the coast, this would probably still be a difficult route due to the terrain but is the best i can see. Once reaching the coast you arrive at Morfa Mawr station which is situated on a large flat area about half a mile from the seafront. The line will then follow the coastline through Llansanffraid and Llanrhystyd before heading inland to LLanddeiniol and on to Llanrhystd Road where it joins the Manchester & Milford Railway To Aberystwth. The line is single track with passing loops at all stations.

Although not as busy as it's competitor the M&M railway, it would later see a slight upsurge in traffic when on 14th December 1964 heavy rain caused the River Ystwyth to flood near Llanilar and wash out a section of track which caused an unforseen closure of the M&M railway and probably saved the LA&NQLR from Beeching to carry on running for a few more years.

Hopefully this gives an insight into the history and the route taken by the line. The dotted line between Morfa Mawr and Aberayron is the possible route the VoR rly may of taken had it been built ending in the Harbour area.

The following three drawing of how the layout evolved from a test track to a scenic layout, this will probably explain why it has ended with an unusual track plan and possibly a bit unprototypical.

post-6909-12613352890528_thumb.jpg

The original test track showing a 5ft viewing area with a 2ft 6" sector plate

post-6909-12613353089689_thumb.jpg

Beyond the roadbridge the area has lost its sector plate and all became scenic, with a couple of sidings for a coal depot and small goods shed. The other side has lost a couple of sidings but received an extra track running alongside the main leading through a tunnel to the new fiddle yard. Their is no fiddle yard at the other end the layout just terminates at the level crossing.

post-6909-12613353202321_thumb.jpg

The private yard has received an extra siding and a new longish provender hut. The tunnel has gone in favour of a roadbridge while the roadbridge originaly half way along the layout has now gone and the hillside that runs along the rear of the layout has been rebuilt to suit the layout as it is now. The level crossing end still has no fiddle yard and one has to imagine it still carries on through to the North, a fiddle yard may be fitted at a later date.

Some shots of the layout nearing completion

post-6909-12613355911834_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613356051102_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613356363655_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613356508556_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613357083899_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613357425783_thumb.jpg

The station building was built a few years ago from a couple of small images I had from an old magazine cuttings, along with some of the other buildings on the layout they were done for a previous layout which was never completed and has long since gone, It is loosely based on the station building at Aberaeron.

post-6909-12613358746891_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613359056838_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613359209568_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613359518318_thumb.jpg

Some photos taken on the Friday evening of the Cheltenham show before all the stock had been put on the layout, photos courtesy of Tiger Viking.

post-6909-12613362610435_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613362816229_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613362971654_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613363244753_thumb.jpg

post-6909-12613363374212_thumb.jpg

And one from 37114

post-6909-12613363719353_thumb.jpg

And finally the original layout flyer as I've now made the layout available for exhibitions

post-6909-1261336831685_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Cracking! Enjoyed looking at this one from the last forum.biggrin.gif

I'm sure I have suggested this before Trevor but this would look good with large logo 37/4's, air braked speedlink wagons and the odd Sprinter (my 80's bias coming out again!).wink.gif

Hi Trevor,

I must have missed this one on the old forum, I am glad I have found it now though its Great, I love the trackwork that crossover looks superb, and you can't beat a nice blue class 37.biggrin.gif Nice attention to datail too love the aerials on the houses.cool.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Trevor

Wow how come I missed this one on RMWeb3????

What a lovely little layout, and I just love the unclutteredness of it :D It really shows what can be done with a few buildings and some carefully placed items like cars, people and other scenic accessories. It just oozes character of the 70s.

This has to be one of the best first post to a new thread I have seen and some great well taken photographs!!

What are your plans with the layout now?

Regards

Paul

Hi Trevor,

I too must have missed this layout on the old tread. Superb modelling. Interesting track plan. Lovely colouring and detailing. Top marks all round! From a personal perspective, a photographic backscene showing the Welsh hills would maybe be the icing on the cake?

Thanks for sharing. And more pics too please!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Thanks for all the kind remarks, I never thought their was much interest in the layout, quite overwelming I must say.

I dont have any more pictures of worth at the moment, but promise when the weather warms up I'll get some taken and posted.

I've also received an invitation from Geoff Endacot to take "Morf Mawr" to Trainwest in 2011, so hopefully will have the chance to see some of you then.

Many thanks

Trevor

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to see this up again, very atmospheric layout- the thing that I always like about this is there is plenty operational track without it looking cramped, very clever in design!

I'm sure I have suggested this before Trevor but this would look good with large logo 37/4's, air braked speedlink wagons and the odd Sprinter (my 80's bias coming out again!).
If Phwhelli's owt to go by you'd have to take up all the sidings and replace with supermarket! :lol:

If ever there's anything that could convert me to WR its Hymeks- cest la vie!

Just to answer a few questions brought up in this topic, hopefully this multiquote will work fo me.

I'm sure I have suggested this before Trevor but this would look good with large logo 37/4's, air braked speedlink wagons and the odd Sprinter (my 80's bias coming out again!).wink.gif

Hi 0O00,

You did and i would love too, I do like that period up to the sector livery coming in, but I'm affraid I just wouldn't be able to find the time to do it.

Perhaps in about 10 years time, but by then their probably be only one track leftwink.gif

Hi Trevor

What are your plans with the layout now?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I've now decided to take it out on the exhibition circuit, so hopefully I'll get a few invites. Geoff at Trainwest has given me an invite for 2011, which was good of him.

I also have a couple more locos and another dmu to finish off, so a bit more variety for the future.

Its a nice size and the track layout looks like there is plenty to keep you occupied, a real believable layout.

Cheers

Scott

Cheers Scott,

Although I never actually operated the layout at Cheltenham, I decided to sit back and watch others operate it including "Wibble", "D9502" and "Pixie" of this parish along with a few others. I did get favourable comments on the operating and how much time could be spent shunting each train arrival.

Where did you make your platform from?

Werner

Hi Werner,

The platform was done with Peco platform edgeing i thinkunsure.gif , which was faced with Slater's stonework, whilst the top had Slater's flagstones and the rest had a covering of very fine sand glued on which when totally dry was rubbed down with sandpaper to give a much smoother apperance.

From a personal perspective, a photographic backscene showing the Welsh hills would maybe be the icing on the cake?

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

I had thought of having some roaming hills on the backscene, but my worry was it may lose its depth of field which is only 18" as it is now, perhaps some low hills may not be too overpowering.

Originally as seen in early photos their was a wire fence running along the length of the layout, but i was never too happy with it, so replaced it with the Skaledale stone walling which is an excellent product and improved it endesley.

Nice interesting track formation; well done. Did you use Templot to design the trackwork?

Hi Pannier Tank,

No it wasn't Templot, the trackwork was laid a few years back using C&L and done just by eye.

I've had Templot for a couple of years now, but just couldn't get my head around it. But a few weeks ago i needed to plan a layout, so i sat down for most of one Saturday and had a really good play with it, buy the end of the day it all came together and the basics were sorted along with a trackplan. I now find it very easy so will hopefully be able to attempt some of the more advanced stuff in future.

Cheers all

Trevor

Pleased to see this up again, very atmospheric layout- the thing that I always like about this is there is plenty operational track without it looking cramped, very clever in design!

If Phwhelli's owt to go by you'd have to take up all the sidings and replace with supermarket! laugh.gif

If ever there's anything that could convert me to WR its Hymeks- cest la vie!

Thanks Russ,

This is always the problem, none of us seem to have the room to do these grand layouts, so we do them as small as is possible to fit our requirements

I always feel that you need to get a good depth in a layout, i try to aim for about three equalish sections of which a third is taken up by trackwork and the other two thirds are scenic, it seems to work.

Trevor

Lovely work Trevor, and great to see it back on the new RMWeb.

You have captured the early 1970's look perfectly...................all very functional but in need of a good clean and a lick of paint!

Thanks for showing,

Andy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest oldlugger

A very inspirational layout Trevor, based in an area where I used to live. Terrific work!

All the best

Simon

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Was really pleased to finally see this layout at Wycrail today...although I gather it is now under new ownership.

Would have preferred to have seen it run with all the original stock but it’s great modelling and the colour balance/tones/lighting are spot on :good: