Peco Double Slip / Hex Frog Juicer

thornabydemon

Hi,

Just been putting this in place today, the code 75 double slip is in place with no modifcation but when conneting the frogs to the juicer I get a short.

Now I didnt spend too much time to trouble shoot but have some questions in advance after some points of what I have done.

• The double slip has IRJ's at every join
  • I joined the two 'middle' wires of the slip to the bus
  • I joined the two 'outer' wires of the slip to the juicer

Do I need to modify the double slip in anyway like most other points?

In terms of the two connectors on the frog itself how should they be set?

Thanks

Alex

8Do I need to modify the double slip in anyway like most other points?

In terms of the two connectors on the frog itself how should they be set?

Thanks

Alex

Alex,

The double slip on "Danemouth" is run via a frog juicer without problems:

• No mods to DS,
  • The two frog wires are connected to separate terminals on the juicer and
  • The two feeds are connected to the power bus.

Check you haven't reversed the polarity of your bus connections on either the DS or juicer,

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Alex,

I successfully use a hex frog juicer on two double slips and a 3 way point......but instead of connecting the two centre wires to the power bus, I just put metal joiners on all the outer rails, and allowed the power to feed in to the outer rails that way. Then exactly as you have done with the two frog feeds.

I have never known anything quite so simple....for me, it has been a revelation, I would not have used my three way or two double slips if I had not got a hex frog juicer.

I have 7 frogs, and so double up on one outlet from the juicer....one to a frog on the 3 way and one to a frog on one of the slips.....I havent had a conflict yet.

Bob

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to throw this one right to the top again but I moved on from the juicer after a bit of frustration and completed all the trackwork of quite a large layout and did all the points etc, the layout works fine and no problems at all.....except for this pesky hex juicer, the thing that appears to be the easiest thing in the world to work with, but we appear to just hate each other!!

I spent a large chunk of today trying to get bit to work and after lots of work on the double slip I actually got the thing to work, tested an engine over it and bingo, great!! I then switched everything off to firm up the wiring and back to square one.

When I wire it up and turn the power on the ECoS the juicer just flashes like mad for 5 or so seconds and then shorts the layout and of course switches off.

The double slip like I said has IRJ's all round

The two frog's are powered from the juicer as per the instructions

There is a feed from the bus going to the juicer

The double slip is powered by another link from the bus

Does the fact that I havent yet put my seeps in place make a difference

I am testing everything with one DCC engine, now this may sound stupid and I have to ask the question to get it out the way, can the layout drop out of DCC and revert to DC, just when I tested it again after it worked I noticed the lights on the engine werent on, just trying to explore every angle as its really doing my head in now.

Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear you are still struggling with the Hex Frog Juicer......especially as I found it to be the simplest thing since sliced bread. There is something odd going on with your set up.

Are you sure you are not getting a short from one of the thin silver wires that come from the frogs or the two outer rails...i.e. they are not touching another part of the slip that they shouldnt be perhaps.?

Other than that, I cant think what else could possibly go wrong........you have obviously wired the outer rails with the correct polarity, and you cant go wrong wiring the frogs from the juicer outlets.

Perhaps one of our other colleagues can shed some light on it.

Bob

Morning,

I am not sure who will be more relieved, anyone trying to make any sense of my posts about my issues with the juicer or me for actually resolving the problems this morning, amazing what a bit of common sense and logical thought can do.

The above helped, a very simple polarity issue that I kept overlooking, so anyway back to it and on for more progress, likely to be back when I come to the three way point :rolleyes_mini:

Remember that with the 3 way, two of the frogs are always the same polarity, hence can come from the same juicer outlet,

are you sure?? depending on the route set i think all 3 frog units can be either polarity but on either curved route two of the frogs have the same polarity, but only for that route, on the straight route of a symetrical 3 way point the first frog doesn't get driven over so could be any polarity at that time IF the electrical breaks in the point allow it to be.

• RMweb Premium

are you sure?? depending on the route set i think all 3 frog units can be either polarity but on either curved route two of the frogs have the same polarity, but only for that route, on the straight route of a symetrical 3 way point the first frog doesn't get driven over so could be any polarity at that time IF the electrical breaks in the point allow it to be.

It's wired like this:

post-6208-0-98140700-1350424444_thumb.jpg

Never used a juicer, can't see the point (sic)

Keith

Archived