The Last Weekend

'CHARD

Guest tony graham

My apologies if I've posted this photograph before.

This is recorded in the signalbox register as 0002 on 6 January. The last train just on the move.

attachicon.gif091.jpg

I hung a mike out of my bedroom window and here's the link to the recording (an .aiff file) below. Hopefully, it'll work! Remember this was 1969, a reel to reel at 15/16 inch per second and around 300 yards from Lochpark south of Hawick. It's definitely lo-fi.

Bruce

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/108575562/Last%20train.aiff

Have just played this little gem while in the MAN LOFT laying some more track for my N Gauge. I closed my eyes and savoured the sound. MAny thanks for all these historical bits Bruce, may I give you a virtual shake of the hand... 

'Chard - it'll be just around the "Six-airch Brig" over the Slitrig by then.

Tony - I assume that you've not heard my recording of the Clayton exploding the detonators. If not, I'll pop it up in the next day or two.

That's what I reckoned, and I don't expect there was a SW board at that point, there aren't any occupation crossings around there are there - so maybe this was a respectful farewell toot.

Either way it makes emotional listening.

• RMweb Premium

And here she is a year or so later...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68861278@N03/8233048054/?q=lytham%20st%20annes%2060

EDIT: 60, not the mascot

I still remember seeing the same loco crossing Lincoln High St hauling an ex-Skegness train sometime in the 1980s - at the time I did not know that loco was the one that got stopped at Newcastleton.

Guest Max Stafford

The "Flying Greenhouse" before the last Pullman.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/108575562/Clayton%20Exploding%20Detonators.mp3

Turn the volume up!

Bruce

Somebody had some fun with a crate of dets that night!

I wonder if someone with a decent studio would be able to process those recordings - they are after all part of the folk memory and very evocative.

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 1

Guest tony graham

'Chard - it'll be just around the "Six-airch Brig" over the Slitrig by then.

Tony - I assume that you've not heard my recording of the Clayton exploding the detonators. If not, I'll pop it up in the next day or two.

You are correct there Bruce, not heard that one...

Somebody had some fun with a crate of dets that night!

I wonder if someone with a decent studio would be able to process those recordings - they are after all part of the folk memory and very evocative.

Dave.

I wonder if my brother has read this posting?

• 2 weeks later...

That is such an evocative shot, and rare too, it being in colour, lurking .  Modelling that platform surface convincingly would be a challenge.  It's also refreshingly narrow, which I had forgotten.

Now, about dates, is that the 5th, or rather Saturday the 4th? (2S52 didn't run on Sundays, did it?)

• Like 1

That is such an evocative shot, and rare too, it being in colour, lurking .  Modelling that platform surface convincingly would be a challenge.  It's also refreshingly narrow, which I had forgotten.

Now, about dates, is that the 5th, or rather Saturday the 4th? (2S52 didn't run on Sundays, did it?)

Looked through the gen in the diesels article but not got that one down - yet ... a little more research on the way I think  ;)

Looked through the gen in the diesels article but not got that one down - yet ... a little more research on the way I think  ;)

I thought the dour gent walking away from us looked familiar - like an undertaker, in fact.... 

• Like 1

D5317 worked the 13.00 Carlisle - Edinburgh on Saturday 4th. As you say, there were no 2S52s on a Sunday.

Bill

• Like 2

• 7 months later...