Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

For roofs I have a huge stock of venetian blind slats  both plastic and ali. I use the special snapper trimming tool available  to cut the curved profile to length as this provides a neat edge.  I found that cutting by knife or scissors makes the trimmed edge curl or wrinkle! Anyone needing some stock just send me a SAE.

Andrew 01438 728573

• Like 1

...... Jim travel south its a eye opener all those lovely EMU's   

I did get a quick glimpse of Kent earlier this year as we passed through on a Eurostar, but the EMU's are not as nice as the subject of a Neilson & Co drawing i have on my wall here of a 'Bogie and Radial Tank Engine'!  Looks like an Adams Radial. :mosking:

Thanks for the kind comment.

Jim

It's dark here in south Leicestershire, and we have a good thunderstorm right now. So I thought I'd get a bit more done on the 6/4 wheel coaches for Lambourn. There are a few bits still to do- final touch on some panel painting, couplings, and roof access grab rails on one end of each coach. Now I suppose I had better turn my attention to a nice little tender engine to haul it back to Newbury!

post-14910-0-53911300-1472312558.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Still on my workbench, after many weeks, are 2 Oxford Diecast Bedford OB Buses for use on Freshwater. Repainting the bodies and adding transfers, so one is Southern Vectis and one is West Wight, was quick and easy. However, I wanted to add some passengers and improve the glazing. Some cheap and nasty seated figures from China needed some surgery to fit, and the seating bay sides needed removing where two passengers sit next to each other. The driver is the excellent product of ModelU, and is, unfortunately, not visible in the photo below. The vertical pillar just ahead of the back seat, used to hold the floor in place, was removed.

Having fitted the passengers, it was apparent that the seating is too high, so some more surgery was required to the seating unit to lower it about 1mm. Then, I had the crazy idea of flush glazing. For this, some new pillars had to be created to replace those that are just painted on the Oxford glazing. Then little pieces of transparent sheet had to be whittled away carefully to fit the apertures. They are fixed in place with Krystal Klear glue. It has taken 3 evenings to complete one side of this bus. Please, somebody tell me if it is worth the effort.

(I seem to have lost the front number plate with all the handling)

post-11458-0-90505100-1472325807_thumb.jpg

and an Oxford original as it comes:

post-11458-0-69967600-1472325954.jpg

and the real thing

post-11458-0-13042700-1472326663.jpg

• Like 7

It's dark here in south Leicestershire, and we have a good thunderstorm right now. So I thought I'd get a bit more done on the 6/4 wheel coaches for Lambourn. There are a few bits still to do- final touch on some panel painting, couplings, and roof access grab rails on one end of each coach. Now I suppose I had better turn my attention to a nice little tender engine to haul it back to Newbury!

attachicon.gifcoaches.jpg

Copycat!  I had to do a quick double take to make sure you hadn't posted a picture of my rake  :jester:

Seriously though they look great (obviously I have the benefit of seeing some close up photos in my inbox).  They will look really nice on Lambourn and I look forward to seeing them in the flesh sometime.

Ian

Copycat!  I had to do a quick double take to make sure you hadn't posted a picture of my rake  :jester:

Seriously though they look great (obviously I have the benefit of seeing some close up photos in my inbox).  They will look really nice on Lambourn and I look forward to seeing them in the flesh sometime.

Ian, unashamedly inspired by your wonderful models for Modbury But in fairness Lambourn needs a rake like these.

They are fixed in place with Krystal Klear glue. It has taken 3 evenings to complete one side of this bus. Please, somebody tell me if it is worth the effort.

I don't what you are complaining about. My brother owns one of these (the real thing that is). You should see how long it has taken him to fit a full set of windows.

http://onlineweb.com/buses-coaches/LDV%20483.htm

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Regarding the Duple Bedford body, I think there were several versions with subtle differences. The painted on window frames on the model are possibly an attempt to represent where some pillars are very slender.

Bedford-OB-Duple-Vista.jpg

It is nice to see someone attempting to improve the model. It was quite revolutionary for 2mm scale when it came out, but the cast metal approach seems a bit dated when compared with the all-plastic buses now coming out, like the superb Leyland Royal Tiger.  I hope to start work on modifying some OWBs and other vehicles in the near future, so am really interested in what you have done.

Edited by £1.38

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys.

Looking at the photos again, I really need to fill that gap above the radiator. Where is my Milliput?

BTW, does anyone know what the big lever behind the driver's door is? Is it something to do with the massive sun roof?

Thanks guys.

BTW, does anyone know what the big lever behind the driver's door is? Is it something to do with the massive sun roof?

I know a man who does!

Although I think that is an emergency exit, not the driver's door. ANd I suspect the handle may be a way of opening it from the outside The driver comes out of the same door as the passengers.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg. Here's one of the front once I've finished the tenders I'll start the chassis of the locos

John

Hi John,

Some good, neat work there. You've made a good job of the curves at the top of the tender sides as far as I can tell from your pics. Looking forward to seeing you progress this. Which Princess will you be modelling?

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

The fittings really do start to bring a model to life
John

I'd recommend not adding the axlebox/ spring castings until they've been painted, otherwise its difficult to paint the tops.

Nig H

So just which tender axleboxes are still available?

There is rather a muddle with the shop listing as far as descriptions codings drawings and diagrams!

The whole area of tender axleboxes needs a complete review and update in my opinion - across all regions. No wonder current 2mm'ers just modify N stock or go for non-tender locos.

How did the old whitemetal moulds just disappear? Someone must be sitting on their whereabouts!