Sheerness Dockyard Train Station

ShaunMac

Hi All,

I am planning on a model railway based on the Isle of Sheppey but at a location that isn't on the actual line as it stands.

As I want to model the location as accurately as I can while incorporating a railway then I want to model a station that would do it justice.

For that reason I want to base it on a station on the island. I have access to Queenborough station as it still is in use today but would prefer to base a model on Sheerness Dockyard station which was demolished in the early 70s. (Typically awkward of me I know lol).

However, all I can find on the net is a few blurred photos that are taken from a medium to long distance from the station and taken from angles where it's hard to determine the layout.

What I would like - if it's even possible - is to somehow source the plans/diagrams that would have been made of it. After all, surely there was a plan before they built it right?

I've tried the local library but it's local history section is a joke.

Is there anywhere else I could try? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

SM

"Branch Lines Around Sheerness" Middleton Press  1993 has several photographs and track plans of Sheerness Dockyard Station. It had a rare sector plate instead of the traditional cross-over for loco release which would make an interesting model feature..

"Branch Lines Around Sheerness" Middleton Press  1993 has several photographs and track plans of Sheerness Dockyard Station. It had a rare sector plate instead of the traditional cross-over for loco release which would make an interesting model feature..

Thanks for that - I think I have seen that book in local newsagents here in Sheerness. :)

SM

Drawings of the station buildings were in an old Railway Modeller - don't know which one though.

Just found a site that says the scale drawings of the station building were in RM in July 1986 :O

Well, at least I know - just need to track it down somehow lol.

SM

Just found a site that says the scale drawings of the station building were in RM in July 1986 :O

Well, at least I know - just need to track it down somehow lol.

SM

And amazingly I have. Found it on Amazon for £2.50 + £2.80 P&P or £3.99 on E-Bay with free P&P.

Sometimes t'interweb can be amazing.

SM

• 2 years later...

Hello Shaun

I have just joined site and found that you were interested in Sheerness dockyard and was thinking of modelling this station. How have you got on? I to have ideas to model this station and have got quite a bit of information regarding this station. Please get back to me with how you are getting on and what information you already have sorced

Many thanks

Mark 

• 2 years later...

Hello Shaun

I have just joined site and found that you were interested in Sheerness dockyard and was thinking of modelling this station. How have you got on? I to have ideas to model this station and have got quite a bit of information regarding this station. Please get back to me with how you are getting on and what information you already have sorced

Many thanks

Mark 

Hi Mark,

I've just read your entry from 2015. I've emailed Shaun Mac a few times but lately I haven't received any replies so I don't know if his project is still ongoing. I'm looking to include the old dockyard station in my project once I get building the layout. I now have copies of both editions of RM that cover this. What other bits and pieces do you have?

Kind Regards,

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Shaun

Many thanks

Mark 

Hi Mark,

I notice that Shaun mac hasn't been online since 2013 so I don't know what's happened to him. Are you any further advanced with your model of Sheerness Dockyard station, wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your efforts.

Regards,

Paul.

Paul, what sort of period did you have in mind?  As I'm sure you're aware, when Sheerness Dockyard had a passenger service, all trains reversed there on the way from Sittingbourne to Sheerness-on-Sea and vice versa, which would make it interesting to operate.

Hi Tom,

Sorry, I missed your post I think. Just clocked it as I was looking through Shaun's stuff again. I'm looking to base it on 1959/60 so I can do the overlap which will allow me to run both steam and electrics. I know the Dockyard station was closed up by then but I have an idea for putting it to use.

Regards,

Paul. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived