There's just something about diamonds

Talltim

....isn't there just..?? :declare:

As I said in the "US Trackplans" Thread, it's also something definitively "American" to me, and the noise of the wheels when a train hits them...!!! :locomotive:

I keep trying to work out how to incorporate one into my 'next' layout - a proper, working 90deg (or close) one, not just a 'dummy'... it's a big ask for a shelf layout, though.... :scratchhead: :O  :no: 

• RMweb Premium

I agree, they certainly have an appeal to them and make a spectacular noise when a train passes over them at speed.

They are also a maintenance nitemare, forever falling to bits due to the massive hammering they sustain! Eevn in the pictures above you can see the wet-beds and pumping mud that accumulate because of their very existance.

Gary - some of the maintainence issues in the pics above will be due to it being the 1970s i'm sure ;) you see the same traits in that era on plain track too!

But I do recall watching the Marion OH ones come alive with an almost snake-like fluid motion as trains went over and every single (seemingly) loosely bolted peice moved against it's neighbor....and the noise - apocalyptic! You just don't get that from the vids! ;)

Ref fitting it into a layout (and modules) this one should be at TVNAM - albeit working as a wye and not a crossing this year (maybe next year!)

SAM_0907-M.jpg

MX is an awesome choice though Tim!

I always found the Davenport Diamond in Toronto - CN (now Go/Metrolinx) Newmarket Sub crossing the CP North Toronto Sub - to be annoying as we'd get held up about once every two weeks by a freight on my ride home on the GO train. It did have avery interesting building on the SE corner that had a loading bay siding off the tight chord between the two line The chord was not in service when I was riding, but most of the trackwork was still there. The building was had angled wall panels to follow the chord with the loading area under cover. Unfortunately it was all torn down a few years ago as part of the redevelopment of the area and to allow for a grade separation to be built.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Gary - some of the maintainence issues in the pics above will be due to it being the 1970s i'm sure  ;) you see the same traits in that era on plain track too!

But I do recall watching the Marion OH ones come alive with an almost snake-like fluid motion as trains went over and every single (seemingly) loosely bolted peice moved against it's neighbor....and the noise - apocalyptic! You just don't get that from the vids! ;)

Ref fitting it into a layout (and modules) this one should be at TVNAM - albeit working as a wye and not a crossing this year (maybe next year!)

SAM_0907-M.jpg

Nice one Martyn, ive always fancied incorporating a diamond but its impossible with my current layout! :no:

SAM_0907-M.jpg

The problem is more one of how to 'end' the water rather than how to do the track or layout size

DIamonds can produce rather alarming pictures - http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=405555&nseq=0

:O  

I like that GP20

BTW - what's TVNAM? I'm guessing it's something like "Thames Valley North American Modellers" - but when/where is it?

Richard

Richard

If you're from there abouts may I suggest the Seaboard Southern US Train Show in Horsham, W Sussex. Date for 2013 show is Sat 21st Sept

(shameless plug :no: )

Dan

Archived