"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

Here's an update on my model diorama box project. I'd love to proffer the finished article but I think this is a way off yet! I've only built the bridge so far!

I've been trying my hand at using modelling clay to produce a cobbled effect on the little wharf area. I did a test piece on a piece of hardboard before doing anything 'in anger' ... and found it a lovely material to work with. I don't know if it's a bit old school - I've seen other materials being championed for scribed stonework / brickwork etc. but modelling clay seems pretty fine.

post-26609-0-82570500-1521534022_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-91994700-1521534029_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 5

Just found this thread and all I can say is... wow. Really inspiring stuff from everyone. Making me ponder how to make my own buildings worth such recognition once I get to making them...

There are some great threads on the is forum - I keep stumbling on some outrageously good models!

• Like 1

There are some great threads on the is forum - I keep stumbling on some outrageously good models!

Same here. Some of them are truly masterpieces. 

Love your work as well. Very inspirational stuff for a man like me who's just starting on buildings and such.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Utterly agree! I am intrigued by your hull form of the Aberdeen registered fishing vessel A214 Craigievar Castle. What is it's origin, please?

John Storey

I'm sorry to hear about your Father, Peter and such events can really knock you back but I know  that you've the strength and backing from your good lady, Anne, to see you through.

Wonderful to hear from you again on the site as, I'm sure, so everyone else will agree.

So, please keep posting, keep in touch and really great to see you back - oh, and a vid of one of your Shadows gigs would go down more than well I'm sure.

Cheers, welcome back, friend and let's have some pics of your latest creations.

Allan.

Hi Alan, have sent you a PM

Peter

Same here. Some of them are truly masterpieces. 

Love your work as well. Very inspirational stuff for a man like me who's just starting on buildings and such.

One of the great things about this forum is the amount of work that you can see evolving - I've picked up plenty of tips on model making.

Utterly agree! I am intrigued by your hull form of the Aberdeen registered fishing vessel A214 Craigievar Castle. What is it's origin, please?

John Storey

Well spotted John - it's a hull that I have earmarked for another idea (based on an Aberdeenshire harbourside.

The hull was made by a lovely chap called Edward Smith from Moray who trades in paintings/prints and fishing boat models - here's his website: http://www.scottishfishingboats.co.uk/

He makes boats for largely ornamental use but they are authentic in shape and could form the basis of a more detailed model for use on a layout. He has been very helpful in his communications and everything is beautifully made by hand.

• 1 month later...

Since responding to Virago's 'Ballast, ballast, ballast thread, I thought I'd do a re-run on Battery Street sidings showing weed ridden ballast as was so typical of many neglected  industrial sidings.

Please forgive the repeat pics but I haven't done much, if any, work lately !

Cheers.

Allan 

post-18579-0-38863200-1525952963_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-49163200-1525952980_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-36142000-1525953001_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-21900700-1525953025_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-12316300-1525953062_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-87870000-1525953089_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-39179300-1525953114_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-23920800-1525953145_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-26882000-1525953177_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-01311000-1525953213_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-98596500-1525953246_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-98222800-1525953270_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-24053200-1525953318_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-18781300-1525953362_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Since responding to Virago's 'Ballast, ballast, ballast thread, I thought I'd do a re-run on Battery Street sidings showing weed ridden ballast as was so typical of many neglected  industrial sidings.

Please forgive the repeat pics but I haven't done much, if any, work lately !

Cheers.

Allan 

Talk about "shabby chic"! I love all those rich, decomposing greens and rusting oranges. fabulous stuff ...

Love derelict factories those building do the real thing more than justice Allan.

I know you know Allan but when I was eight years old I walked the 8 miles back home from the now defunct Wakefield Model and Craft Centre to Dewsbury having spent my £3 bus fare on one of your Peco 'Downesplans' which also had plans for derelict building. 

It took me two hours and my mum went nuts worrying about me. She still blames you. :)

• Like 1

Love derelict factories those building do the real thing more than justice Allan.

I know you know Allan but when I was eight years old I walked the 8 miles back home from the now defunct Wakefield Model and Craft Centre to Dewsbury having spent my £3 bus fare on one of your Peco 'Downesplans' which also had plans for derelict building. 

It took me two hours and my mum went nuts worrying about me. She still blames you. :)

I remember that shop well. It was a sad day when they closed. They blamed the Internet and high overheads. Even before I rediscovered railway modelling, I used to get all my airfix kits there.

I also once walked home as a kid though not as far (5miles) thinking my parents wouldn't even notice i was late 

I remember that shop well. It was a sad day when they closed. They blamed the Internet and high overheads. Even before I rediscovered railway modelling, I used to get all my airfix kits there.

I also once walked home as a kid though not as far (5miles) thinking my parents wouldn't even notice i was late

Amazing what we do for the love of our favourite pastimes! In the 1960s my brother and I often walked from the West of Edinburgh to our favourite model shop, Harburn Hobbies, at the foot of Leith Walk, just to browse and dream!! Somehow we managed to get home in time for tea. Lack of the necessary pennies is what made us explore the possibilities of working in paper and card and here on this thread are wonderful examples! Edited by Marly51
  • Like 3

'Stop me if you've heard this one before' as I've been adding these photos to a couple of threads - but I had started here...

The 'Caledonia Basin' diorama has morphed a bit. I actually abandoned the original embankment after comments from another modeler had me questioning the likelihood of the scene!

"Don't deviate too far from reality" is becoming a bit of a mantra. I actually found a real embankment of railway arches much more inspiring as a modelling subject.

So I ripped out the embankment and drew some arches based on those at Bowling Basin, Forth & Clyde Canal.

post-26609-0-82107900-1527170568_thumb.jpg

I had made a cardboard mock up, based on the arches - they were pretty but not as engaging as the three-arch one's:

post-26609-0-77246800-1527170545_thumb.jpg

So I went ahead and made some more detailed ones, using the three-arch design in a combination of styrene and grey-board

post-26609-0-64916100-1527170599_thumb.jpg

Here they are in the context of the rest of the model ...

post-26609-0-98204500-1527170526_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

Was wondering where you'd been!

Hope you are as well as can be.

Nice to see you back online.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Superb Modelling as usual Allan - your creations are something that I have admired for many years and they have inspired me to at least try! The realistic settings, colourings, textures and details are perfect. If this isn't art, I dont know what is!