New wheels for Hornby Dublo COBO?

Hi all,

Recently won a COBO off ebay. Has been detailed with wire hand rails etc and given a decent repaint. Won it for just over 30 notes so I'm open to spend a little on it. The only thing really wrong with it is that the wheel sets on the powered bogie all wobble excessively to the point where it spoils it. I've had a gander at it and my original intention was to swap the wheels an axles from an old HD 20 chassis into the COBO, however this is not possible as the COBO seems to use a slightly larger axle size. Haven't got my vernier handy at the mo so can't measure them but does anyone know off the top of their head what size they are and if any of the main wheel manufacturers do suitable replacements?

thanks in advance

Sam, I re-wheeled one many moons ago using Gibson wheels, those for a Western if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure that the Gibson axles were a direct fit. I'll try and confirm that later this week.

Sam,

All Dublo axles are one eighth of an inch diameter so Gibson diesel wheels will fit. 'Warship' wheels are appropriate for the CO-BO as both classes have 3' 3" dia wheels. The model was quite accurate for it's time, though it stood rather too high due in part to oversize wheels.

The wobble may be caused by grooves in the driving wheels that should contain traction tyres but are likely to be missing so allowing the wheels to drop over the rail head. These grooves were much deeper than Lima or Hornby tyred wheels. So, replacement should cure your problem though some traction will be lost.

Regards, Jim

Although I should suggest that you join the Hornby Railway Collectors Association to have access to Hornby Dublo spares, there are several suppliers who have general web pages and can supply spares. Try googling Hornby Dublo Spares.

I have never been aware of "wobbly" wheel on any H-D diesel loco, maybe the axle is bend!! Beware that there are sprung plungers on the axles to aid current collection.

I am surprised that the traction tyres are still OK, They would usually have perished by now. "Real relacements are avalable at a price, but I use suitable sized "O" rings.

Good luck

Terry

AFAIK, the wheels of the HD diesels are all the same varying only in whether they are insulated or not and whether they have the groove for traction tyres or not and the axles are 1/8" diameter, so the Bo-Bo wheels should fit. There may be muck in the bearings after all these years.

I converted my Bo-Bo to EM many years ago using 14mm Nucro/Jackson coach wheels suitably bushed. The Co-Bo and Deltic don't really need traction tyres. They have quite enough mass to manage without, especially with modern pin-point rolling stock.

I have corrected bent axles with carefully applied (brute) force. Turn the axle slowly until the flange is at its closest to the frame. Then insert a small screwdriver between wheel and frame and lever the wheel straight. Several attempts should have it running true.

I've recently acquired one too. She was rather scruffy, but cleaned up quite nicely. Unfortunately she is rather sluggish and despite careful tweaking looks like she will need a new magnet.

EDIT

The bearing holes could be worn (I've had this in the past - I wore out my (from new) 'Sir Nigel'!). Ream out to 9/64" and fit bushes (Markits for examples) (other sizes and makes are available).

Service sheets here http://mtrains.co.uk/3.html (no connection, but can recommend).

From these it can be seen that the axles are all the same part no 7715

"despite careful tweaking looks like she will need a new magnet"

Never - just a typical HD trait, needs a remag occasionally.

If you need it done, I've got the tool to do it and for RMWebbies only need you to cover postage charges both ways.

Stewart

Maybe the axle holes are worn as the BOBO wheels just slop around. It could be though that somebody has messed around with it at some point as the insulation material is different to the bobo. Will have to get the calipers out and see whether someones butchered it at some point.

I sorted mine out today, I'm sure Jim was right that Warship wheels are the right ones, I knew that they were intended for one of the Westerns hydraulics.  Here it is, the Gibsons fitted straight in with nothing more than some spacing washers between wheel and bogie block.

post-6861-0-28349400-1367433549_thumb.jpg

Some photos of my reworked Co Bo, done many years before the Heljan/Hattons one appeared, I think the basic Dublo body captures the look pretty well though really benefits from extra detailing.

post-6861-0-94225100-1367433574.jpg

post-6861-0-31152500-1367433598.jpg

and a comparison with a pristine Heljan version.

post-6861-0-09334500-1367433613.jpg

Arthur

Ordered new wheels today for my COBO. Have taken it apart and the axles and holes are measuring in at 3,51 - 3,60mm so a tad over 1/8th (3,175mm) Might bush the axles to be honest. Will give a longer lasting outcome. The body may get a repaint. Its had handrails done by the previous owner which whilst ok do stick out in places by about a scale 10"

Will post some pics when it comes to fitting the wheels.

Archived