I have a carriage under development for N gauge (technically 1:152, 2mm finescale) based on a non-bogie 8 wheel carriage for the Metropolitan line circa 1868 after pony trucks were fitted; these found their way to the Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway in 1909 owing to their suitably low height.  This is my progress on the bodyshell thus far:

post-19360-0-91694000-1369421578_thumb.png

Currently done are the roof fittings (not entirely sure what they are), and the panel lines for one of the ends (minus the iron bars transverse to the body and vertical in the centre); roof is a bit angular at the moment but I am working on a resolution to that.  The final model is projected to be 79.2mm along the body, 16.5mm wide and 22.6mm in height including flanges; finally, wheelbase will be 57.4mm.

I would appreciate any comments on work so far and whether there is a demand for this kind of vehicle, also welcome are any tips for making such models for 3d Printing - I intend to print these in Frosted Ultra Detail on Shapeways.

Thank you for your time.

Looks good so far, started some Met Coaches in 4mm, but sadly got a bit technical for me, after many technical issues, and didn't continue. Top roof fittings known as Roof vents for the lights. But looks good so far, from what I can see.

So the acetylene lamps in the carriages had vents to provide fresh combustion air?  Interesting use of welding gas in a tunnel environment, probably the last place you would like to use a gas lamp.

These are my latest improvements, in PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modelling Express 4.0 (my 3d package) it turns out you need to increase the "graphical resolution" by going Settings / 3D-Object / Part Misc. and increasing the slider at the bottom; just a small tip for those looking to try (I'd say go, if you liked Pro/Engineer, then this is a lot like that and completely free for up to 60 parts per assembly).  Anyway, windows are now present and awaiting panelling detail:

Metropolitan 8 Wheel Rigid Carriage Progress 1 (26/05/2013)

A better look at the windows:

Metropolitan 8 Wheel Rigid Carriage Progress 2 (26/05/2013)

Metropolitan Rigid 8 Chassis

This is my idea I want to experiment with in FUD - a replica chassis featuring authentic radial trucks as per the prototype.

I accept that this may not go to plan, but I feel I need to push what I know about FUD as a material, perhaps what other people know.

EDIT:  Just discovered that this will not work without compromising the looks and function of the chassis - will retain this post so you all know my general idea.

Metro Rigid 8 Chassis Proposed Arrangement

This is an update on the arrangement I aim for, disregarding wheel clearances for the moment.

There is a radial truck pivoting from above the inner axles, which have a conventional pin-point bearing setup; the outer axles use an alternative setup similar to the Hornby 4-VEP, where the axles are inside the mounts - this allows external detail to be retained while allowing a prototypical negotiation of curves.

Received my carriage prints yesterday - Shapeways is such a modest company :)

Carriage Body, 1st Prototype

The Body looks great, with fine line detail present and correct, aside from the door edges which are swallowed up by paint; perhaps two embossed edges instead of one engraved?
Carriage is strong as a result of a thick roof, which becomes the spine of the Body.  Longer sides are flexy and window sills are too fragile for my liking, so they'll be getting thicker in the next print.

Chassis 1st Prototype

Chassis has it's faults - quite a few in fact!

Radial Trucks arrive too stiff, both wrt axles and pivots; the custom pins made for the pivots are too fragile as well, warranting replacement with standard Farish Bogie Pins.  After sanding and reaming, both problems were vastly improved so there's some hope at least.

Chassis itself was made too thin, so it couldn't quite stand up to manhandling - something which is unacceptable when the radial trucks may need servicing.

Couplings were quite formidible looking and proved tough, but inside they were too thin for proper coupler operation.

Finally, while the inner axle mounts were sufficiently able to hold the axle in whilst allowing rotation, they were too tight for my liking and could do with reinforcement.

To conclude, my ego is slightly fuming that I couldn't quite nail some basic things first time, but at least the concept shows some actual promise this time around  :sungum:

Have to say though that's pretty good for a first go! Coach body looks great!
 As always I guess these are sort of living prototypes, Its a great concept and you never know how it will come out until you do the first one, once you do one, you have the info to put in improvements or to carry over to another design...  I do like that chassis though I think that radial axle is neat solution.
Great work and look successful to me!

Archived