Locomotion / NRM L &Y tank

Andy Y

Apologies. I should explain that the pick up problem refers to the original release and the first main range release.

I have a first edition Lanky Radial tank that Bachmann produced for Locomotionmodels in l&Y livery and the puck ups work absolutely fine. Plus my wheels are pulled out to em gauge.

Jon

Having purchased both the new L&Y Locomotion model and been given the new crimson LMS (ex L&Y) version as a present, both of which I think arrived in the UK within roughly a month of each, I was surprised to see one difference which I have not seen commented on (though apologies if I missed it  :dontknow: ).

I noticed that the one with the 1900's arc written "Lancashire and Yorkshire" seems identical to the previous L&Y liveried one in that it has fixed buffers, but that my crimson one (No.10713) definitely has sprung buffers. Are Bachmann now fitting sprung buffers in line with Hornby's approach (after the abandonment of the "clever design" era)?

Jeremy Karl.

Guest spet0114

Having purchased both the new L&Y Locomotion model and been given the new crimson LMS (ex L&Y) version as a present, both of which I think arrived in the UK within roughly a month of each, I was surprised to see one difference which I have not seen commented on (though apologies if I missed it  :dontknow: ).

I noticed that the one with the 1900's arc written "Lancashire and Yorkshire" seems identical to the previous L&Y liveried one in that it has fixed buffers, but that my crimson one (No.10713) definitely has sprung buffers. Are Bachmann now fitting sprung buffers in line with Hornby's approach (after the abandonment of the "clever design" era)?

Jeremy Karl.

Are they they same type of butters though? 

From memory, the L+Y era loco has much slenderer buffer shanks than the LMS era one. I could easily see that when reduced to 4mm, the thicker one might lend itself to being sprung, but the thinner one might not.

Are they they same type of butters though? 

From memory, the L+Y era loco has much slenderer buffer shanks than the LMS era one. I could easily see that when reduced to 4mm, the thicker one might lend itself to being sprung, but the thinner one might not.

I don't recall the buffer details, so I will have to look at both locos again when I get home. However, I did note that they are different in finish in that the sprung LMS ones are black and the non-sprung L&Y are shiny metal (like most of Hornby's buffers). I was just surprised when I picked up the crimson version by the buffers (to avoid putting finger prints on the paintwork) and found that they moved. Personally, I love sprung buffers but I know that many others don't think them worthwhile.

JK

Shouldnt this be with the other Locomotion stuff?

It was the new LMS crimson Bachmann one that gave rise to my initial comment as all my other recently purchased Bachmann locos do not have sprung buffers. I was too late to purchase the first LMS version in black so I have no idea if that version has fixed or sprung buffers - it was the direct comparison with the recent Locomotion version by Bachmann that drew my attention to it.

But I admit it is confusing to have two threads on what is essentially the same L&Y model... 

• 2 years later...